• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

35 Minutes to Launch

Yesterday afternoon I picked the boat up from the repair shop and took it to a local lake to go for a test run. When I was finished testing things out, a small family (dad, wife, daughter) had just put their boat in the water at the dock.

Let me set the table for you.....the launch is a one-rig-at-a-time launch. So you launch on one side of the dock and either pull out, or move your boat to the other side of the dock and let someone else launch. I was by myself, so I wanted to tie up to the one side so that I could back the trailer in on the other side. This way I can hop back and forth from the boat to the dock or the dock to the truck, provided I pull up close enough to the dock.

Well, to make a long story shorter, the lady pulled the boat to the side I wanted/needed to dock at, it took the guy 5 minutes to get from the truck to the boat (parking lot was not full), he fiddled around in the boat for a good 20 minutes, plus he left the boat on 2 different occassions - one to hit the mini-biff, the other to get his tacklebox from the truck. confused.gif

Talk about being unprepared at the boat launch! crazy.gif But, it's times like these where "patience is a virtue". I simply turned on some tunes and enjoyed floating around in the boat (didn't have my fishing gear with). It started to get frustrating at the 30 minute mark, but I simply called my wife and we joked about it to pass the time. grin.gif

My point? For the sake of those trying to launch or load, please have everything in order so that you can do these functions efficiently. smirk.gif

Hope everyone has a good Memorial weekend! cool.gif

It makes you wonder if they think they are the only ones using the landing or if they simply dont care. I seen this numerous times and one can only scratch his head.

I was at Washington one time last year and three older gentleman were unloading there boat. They backed it in the water and it would not come off the trailer. I pulled up and asked them if they unstrapped the back of the boat and thier reply was, Are there straps holding it to the trailer there? confused.gif They were really ready to go to the lake.

Unfortunatly the kind of people that take their time at the landing are not the type of people that take their time on a website like this. In other words, theese people are so in their own world and worry about themselves to the point that they would not waste their time reading other peoples opinions on here.

It certainly can get frustrating if you let it get to you. I just tried to enjoy being out on the water while I waited. Listened to some good tunes. cool.gif

After 30 minutes though my patience was starting to wear thin. But, I'll admit, this is the longest I've ever waited for someone to get off the dock. So, if it remains a record for me until I die, well, life aint so bad then. grin.gif

Had the same thing happen today, Luckily I had already launched my boat. The boat after me, backed in(on pleasant lake in Annandale- long walk to park) as I drove away. With two other boats waiting to launch. When I got back to the dock the same boat was still backed up to the boat launch and the boat was still on the trailer. As I walked by the Mini Biff the owner of the boat that was at that launch came out, and I qoute, "Sure is busy here today." He let people sit there and wait, when he had all the time in the world to go to the bathroom when he was waiting in line, but he waited until his boat was backed into the water and still on the trailer, WHY????

Basscatcher...I don't think this was me, but I want to reply. My family of 4...me, my wife, daughter, and young son (toddler) were coming off a local lake Sunday. We had to float around for about 15 minutes to let others clear the landing area. Due to me being the only one who drives the boat and can back the trailer in, I need to do the work and my wife can't back the boat away from the dock with the kids (I'll teach her someday). So, she held the boat at the dock. In the mean time, a guy tried to back his boat down the ramp. I walked past him and asked if he could let me get my boat out of the water. I proceeded to get my truck, back down to the water...I also needed to jump out and push my boat back so I could get the trailer in deeper water. Oh yeah, I also needed to get my son's life jacket off and get him strapped into his car seat for safety reasons. I then proceeded to crank up the boat...thought this would be faster then jumping back in the boat, starting, backing, then pulling forward. Remember, I need to do all the work. I then got the boat secure, wife and daughter jumped in the truck, then we got out of the way.

Just remember guys, we family guys can't do it all really fast...especially with a 20 month old future fisherman on my heals.

I try to be as curtious as I can and wait, but we all need to take turns.

Hope it wasn't me who held you up (the guy had his son with him), but if it was, I'm sorry. Just give me a break. I had to wait when I put my boat in as well.

I understand your point nk45. I had to paddle my boat in one day on Minnetonka and fought to load it by myself as two other guys stood and watched while waiting for me to get out of the way so they could put in.

Nope, it wasn't you at all nk45. Different day, smaller family, etc.

I too have a wife and 2 young kids (3 and 1) and I know exactly what you're talking about. My wife can't back the boat down to the launch either. She stays in the boat to hold on to the kids while I load and pull out. It can be hectic from time to time, but I know for me, it doesn't take 35 minutes to load or to launch. If it were to, I'd bring some boots along and beach the boat off to the one side or the other. In fact, I've done that many, many times in the past....beach the boat to go get the truck, or to hit the mini-biff. blush.gifsmile.gif

I guess my main point of concern here is the person who launched wasn't prepared to launch at all. It would have been better if he took the time to load everything up, got everything in place and organized, and went to the bathroom before backing in and sitting on the dock. Besides, it would have saved him some energy from walking up and down from the launch to the parking lot if he had done things before hand. grin.gif

Yeah, I wouldn't run to the mini-biff!!! Glad you guys understand. I don't want to ruin anyones day, but if I let everyone launch their boat...I'd never get the family off the water! We did catch some really nice sunfish on this lake.

I believe what everyone would like to see, is all boaters being prepared to land thier boat and leave the dock as soon as possible without delaying it for 10-15 minutes.

I also realize that when one has the family with, it will take a little longer to get away from the dock or load. If one is always as ready as possible to land or load, no one should be upset if it takes a few minutes more because of the children with.