• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Broadheads for Elk

iffwalleyes

I am going to MT this fall bow hunting for elk. I am curious what some of you have used for broadheads for elk. I usually use Rockey Mountain Premium 125 Grain broadheads. Do you think those would be ok to use. Or should I look at something different? Should I consider expandable broadheads?

I used Muzzy 125's. When I talked with matthews and Easton a few years ago, I believe they suggested to have at a minimum of 450 grains total arrow weight.

Personally I'm not a fan of expandables as I have seen some bad things with the broadheads. Maybe the broadheads were cheap ones, I dont know. Those elk have big bones and are thick skinned and will take a darn good hit to put down.

I have never used expandables and really don't want to start. But I figured if they were the next best thing maybe it would be worth a shot.

I think Harvey hit it on the head, arrow weight (and shot placement) are the keys to elk. Any good fixed blade broadhead should work. Goto bowsite (Contact Us Please) com and pose the question, those guys are big time elk hunters.

Jason,

A lot of states don't allow expandables for elk hunting- I think Montana is one of them (can't remember for sure though). You'll be just fine with your Rocky's. You want to be sure to have about 60 or more pounds of kinetic energy in the punch you're packing. To calculate this, you'll need your arrow weight (with broadhead, knock, veins) and the speed of your arrow. Then do a search for "archery" and "kinetic energy" and you'll find a kinetic energy calculator. After that, like Harvey said- big, tough animal... make sure you have a sturdy broadhead (like the one you mentioned) and you'll be in great shape if you put your arrow where you should.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the Montec G5 in 125 grains for the last few years with good results. It's a heavy duty broadhead that is still cut on contact.

My first elk I used a smaller lighter built fixed blade broadhead. It centered on a rib and broke it, but the shaft of the broadhead bent right where it came out of the arrow. I think the bending of the shaft used up a lot of energy and it only penetrated 1 lung. It still dispatched the animal fairly quickly, but not as quick as 2 lungs! My last elk the Montec went completely through both lungs and out the other side with the arrow still in her and she only went about 40 yards.

So I'd recommend a cut-on-contact fixed blade broad head constructed of heavy duty materials in the correct weight for your bow and arrow setup!

Good Luck!