• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Suzuki 4 stokes - comments, experience, advice???

goose89

Question

I'm going to be in the new boat/motor market in the near future. With most of the choices of which brand of motor going on certain boats being made for us (unfortunately), the most logical and easiest choise for ME (because of location) would be to get an Alumacraft with a Suzuki 4 stroke. I have no beef with Alumacraft. What I know nothing about, though, is Suzuki 4 strokes.

ANY input from anyone with experience with Suzuki 4s would be appreciated. Thanks.

16 answers to this question

I have a 40 HP Suzuki 4 stroke on a 16' lund rebel. The motor is a 2005. I like it a lot....starts good, runs good, quite, smooth,powerfull, no trouble at all, real easy on gas. the only thing i don't like about it...is when i'm in neutral and the motor is running my handle vibrates quite a bit and makes some noise....so I have to put the handle in the up position and that helps.

The Griz got a new 40 4 stroke Suzi, loves it. Idles a little high so it gets that vibration also. Easily adjusted. Was in it yeterday, and it is a sweet motor. It is on his new Triton jonboat. This one he bought for himself so its not a "Salespitch". I think you'd be very happy with it! Mike

I have a 90hp Suzuki tiller on a 17.5 foot fiberglass boat and really like the motor. It is smooth, quiet and so far very reliable. I use it for forward trolling crank baits and can easily get under 2 mph gps. I am on my 3rd year with it and have not had any maintanence problems. I am sure you will enjoy your new rig reguardless of which motor you decide on.

Rivernut...I bought my suzuki on recommendation from the Griz (I used to take care of his mom's yard and I've stayed in touch with him since)...I'll probably give him a call about the high idle....that's exactly what seems to be happening. Thanks for the tip.

You absolutely can't beat them. The only drawback on them is they don't hold resale value quite as well as a Yammy. But they're bullet proof, rock solid, and as good as it gets. I know tons of guys who have them and love them. I don't own one yet, but I will someday!

I have a Johnson 140 4 stroke on my Alumacraft Dominator which the exact same engine as Suzuki. This will be my second year with it and like it so far. I have had a chance to put a lot of hours on the engine. Runs smooth, quiet, very good on gas. Little slow out of the hole, but I am going to experiment with different props.

Matt

I run a 140 Suzuki on a 1750 Sportfish. Like MIDNIGHT777 said, they're a little slow out of the hole but they run smooth, clean and economical. I have run this motor for three season with absolutely ZERO problems. 45-48mph WOT with an average load and can troll down to 2mph. I'm very happy. Not too worried about the resale as I don't see parting with it any time soon. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong with any new 4-stroke, they're all good engines.

I agree with the last 2 posts - I'm running an '05 John-zuki 140 on my 1700 Lund Fisherman and love it for all the reasons they listed. Hole shot ain't exactly a turbo-launch, but all around, it's hard to beat in my mind.

Good luck,

Blaze

Sure thing FL, it was too bad to hear about his mom passing away. I just recently heard about it. As you know he's a pretty good guy, but not much for talking about the personal life. Get ahold of him, perfectguy to ask. He said he was taking it in on Thursday, for the initial 20 hour oil change. Good fishing, you'll love that motor. Mike

I too have a 140 Johnson which as mentioned is the same as a Suzuki. Actually Suzuki made Johnson's 4 strokes. That said it is a awesome motor. Very fuel efficent which is important with $3.00 gas. It has good power. They are geared a little different. I run a 13 1/4X23 prop and get great hole shot decent top end and I am running right in the recommended RPM band. So with that said once you have them proped riht they are very awesome.

man... thanks for all the replies. I wasn't expecting this much feedback. Thanks. Are Johnson and Suzuki "separate" now. IE- Does Suzuki this make Johnsons or parts of them. I've heard conflicting things from some salepersons. Thanks again.

Any more Suzuki 4s owners with experience / advice?? Thanks in advance.

The question would be does Johnson make any motors anymore? I believe that all of the Johnson 4 strokes are Suzuki motors with Johnson controls (I know the 9.9hp is). I have the now discontinued Johnson 140HP 4stk (aka Suzuki) and a 9.9hp 4stk Johnson on the back of my Lund 1800 Fisherman. The 140 is a sweet motor and very frugle with the gasoline. I barely run half a tank when I take it out for weeklong fishing trips. My only concern with Suzuki motors would be finding service if I needed it on a trip. Mecury is everywhere, Yamaha is also well represented. Suzuki dealers are few and far between.

I have a DF140 Suzuki. Absolutely hands down love the motor.

I have a DF 150 and the motor is great. I can troll cranks all day at around 2.5 mph forward and backtroll slow enough to fish lindy rigs when it is windy.

I have heard several comments on the 140 being a little slow out of the whole and that is true. The 90, 115, and 140 all use the same block and are just bored differently and have different fuel injection. The 140 is a great motor but I have heard several dealers say it is really about 128 HP. There is a 10% variance up or down that motors can be from what they say on the cowling.