• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What knot to use................

What knot do you use for spooling new line to your spinning reel?

For hooks?

For crankbaits?

For spinner baits?

I just use the standard snell or trilene knot for all applications, but I find that other knots are ideal for other stuff. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I also use the basic clinch knot with mono or flourocarbon, hooks and reels. But, I use the rapala knot with cranks, usually a swivel tied onto the line for spinnerbaits. however, if using braided line, i use the palomar knot, as braided line doesn't hold as well with clinch knot. I'm not sure how mono works with the palomar, but with braided, its fantastic, never had a knot come undone.

Use the website to get to the list of fishing knots.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

for tying to the spool I use an Arbor knot...

For hooks, it really depends on what style hook.. If its a snell hook I will tie a snell knot.. otherwise, a palomar usually.

cranks, I will usually tie a palomar to a snap, an dremove the split ring.

Spinnerbaits.. I will usually go with a trileen knot as it can be difficult to tie the palomar...

Spools I use a uni knot

most the time I use a palomar knot. If Im using braid I use the palomar knot exclusivly.

I may try out a uni knot a little more this year. The palomar knot is a simple, strong, fast knot but it has been known to weaken or break far below line strength when put under a lot of stress very rapidly. I think I had this occur on me several times last year on what I thought to be good palomar knots...

Braided lines or Fireline have to be Palomar knot for me. I will also use it on Mono. Although it can be difficult to handle and tie occasionally I will revert to using the Improved Clinch or Trilene Knot on Rapalas & spinners.

I will tie a mono or flouro-carbon line leader to the braid or fireline to help increase sensitivity and strikes if jigging or bobbering. But would opt to use just mono only instead for such situations. I prefer the Fireline for casting purposes only because I don't think the sensitivity is as good as the mono on very light strikes or in heavy current.

Thanks for the replies. One quick question, if you remove the split ring from the crank, add a snap, does this hurt the action of the crank then? Does the knot used ever hurt action of baits? Because I swear my buddy outfishes me with his rapala knots on his cranks. He says it adds to the action. I've always been a skeptic.

I never use a snap. The range of motion is limited due to the metal wire. The free movement of a knot will allow the lure to go in any way it pleases or any way it was designed to. I totally belive your friend. Try this in a pool and let us know. I have...and it does affect the action. Kinda stiffens up the lure. But again..this is my personal opinion. grin.gif

in my opinion.. which isn't worth much.. I throw quite a few cranks throughout the year. Often time when a crank doesnt run right for me.. its the fault of the split ring. Hence why I take them off and go with a snap. You can also then change baits quicker. A loop or rapala knot is very good as well and can help get a little more wobble at times.

I'm lazy so I use a snap. But when I get the hot lure, only then would I tie a loop. Sometimes I purposely tie on a big swivel to weigh down the lure...crazy idea. Sometimes a direct tie down makes that offside wobble that makes the strike...crazy idea.

Anybody have a problem with Palomar knots breaking when testing them right after tying? I tied up a bunch of spinner rigs lately and had several snap right off without a ton of effort. This was with 8lb Trilene.

Ive had a few bad knots when tying palomar knots but not very many. how much force are you using to test the knot? Is the line old? are you wetting the line before cinching it down? Lots of factors...

Try using a snelling knot. Its very similiar to a uniknot but you tie the knot on the shank of the hook.

I've recently been using an arbor knot when attaching line to a spool.

For virtually ALL mono attachments I use the improved clinch knot. This is a simple, durable, reliable attachment that has never let me down--but I re-tie frequently and carefully.

When using super lines under 30lb. test, I double/triple loop the line through the item in question before tying an improved clinch knot. This gives the line something to grab onto, some friction, if you will. Above 30lb test, I use a standard improved clinch.

For years I tied loop knots directly to my cranks (no split rings or swivels--ever), but after using snaps for several years I feel they are the way to go. They're reliable, and anything that helps you change lures quickly is an asset. I can't say I see any drawback to using snaps on cranks, but I use good quality duo-lock snaps, and I use as small a size as possible.

The palomar is a fine knot. It works well for small hooks, snaps etc., but it's tough to use with larger/longer lures, and it's wasteful.

I use the palomar on braided but not much on mono. I think its a bit too much weaving and force for mono. Never had a problem on braided. There are many other knots to use with mono...I'd rather another.

The knots that broke were not under a lot of pressure, I just gave them a little tug with constant pressure rather than a quick snap. When that wouldn't break the knot I would pull harder and they wouldn't break. I do moisten the line each time, and the line is probably a couple of years old. I switched to some trilene knots and didn't break any, so I don't really think it's the line.

Whoah!!! lines that were a couple of years old...even 20 lb test after a couple of years old can be weaker than fresh 4 lb test.