• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is Night Crawler Harness Illegal?

Shack

My buddy was reading reg.'s yesterday and came upon the legal hook area. It went on about treble hook with out being attached to lure is considered the hooks and in against the law. You are allowed only one hook per line, unless treble is hooked to a lure. Well here, I will quite rambling on and post reg's on page 10 from 2007 regulations manual for fishing in Minnesota.

Quote:

Angling Methods

• Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one

hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered

three hooks and is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies may

be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

This sounds like it applies to worm harness's being illegal. What do you guys think?

If you clip it to barrel swivel, does this consider it a lure? I just bought some the other week with no beads or spinners on them, only loop at end.

You could clip one or 100 barrel swivels to it and its still a lure. To be a lure it needs an attractor of some sort whether it be a bead, spinner,glo stick etc. 3 hooks in series just tied to the line wouldn't be a lure, no attractor.

That is what I bought. I am on phone with DNR right now and it sounds like what I bought is illegal. I will have to modifie to be legal. The lady also stated many things are sold over counter in MN that are not legal to fish with.

I just got off phone with DNR headquarters and left a message for local CO to call me. I bought several packs of worm harness the other week with no bead or swivel on them at a local "large" retail store. They only have three hooks (about 1" to 1 1/2" apart with loop on other end. They were on special. It sounds like so far these harnesses are illegal. I have to modify them to make them legal (I.E. one bead or swivel. The lady at DNR H.Q. stated many items sold over counter in MN are illegal and it is up to sportsman to find out what is and what is not illegal. I also was asked and told a question a minute ago about treble hooks. When you use a treble hook with clear bead on it, I was told by co worker this is legal. This co-worker is on pro walleye trail and has used this before. I will ask CO when he calls back if this is true. The CO I left message with is out of Big Lake.

I don't think a DNR official would ticket you for using it. My guess at worse they would ask you to stop fishing with it. That is kind of a crap rule, but put a bead on it and a barrel swivel and you would be good to go, from the sounds of it. I wonder if Colored hooks could be argued to be attractants?

Hey shack- I had a question for the CO too, not very clear in the regs but I think may be illegal, Is 2 lures on 1 line legal? Like a dropper w/ a jig then tie a double surgeon know or loop above the jig, and then cut loop, and tie a fly or other lure on that line above and behind the jig? What do ya think?

He has not called back yet. I told him there was no rush in returning my call, but when he calls I will ask and then post.

Angling Methods

• Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one

hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered

three hooks and is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies may

be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

You can do the dropper & flie as long as it is for pannies right???

mad.gif If this is true, I've been fishing illegally for years!

What a bunch of BS!

the second sentence of the law, "an aritificial lure is considered one hook." IS the law! crawler harnesses are "lures". therefore they are legal.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I believe it's as legal as is a multi-hook crankbait. I believe the interpretation is multi-lures are illegal (such as a three-way swivel with two jigs). Multi-hooks on a single lure are legal.

That does beg the question though... are stinger hooks added to a jig legal... confused.gif

I will be interested to hear what the DNR says on this... From what I remember when talking to them on similar issues. As long as the hooks are within 3" of each other its, LEGAL.. if the hooks are more apart than 3" then it would be considered 2 lures and illegal.. This is just my opinion.. not fact.. I would wait to hear from the DNR on this one...

I just e-mailed a CO, and will pass on the information as I get it.

Deitz- your reasoning sounds logical... I think that is probably close to what we will hear from the DNR officer. It sure would be nice if the people who write all these laws would have some help making them read much clearer. You can't read the regs just once, you have to read sentence by sentence over and over. And what is crazy each time it may sound like it is saying something different or the opposite from before. Gets frustrating.

Deitz,

I have not heard back from CO in Big Lake yet. I was told yesterday by girl on phone from DNR, the three hooks on a crawler harness can not be more than a total of three inch (together) back from spinner or bead. She was talking to a CO named Jim down at there H.Q.. I do not think she meant hooks could be 3" apart. That is when I brought up the question of my harnesses. There is no spinner or bead (yet).

The main reason I had brought up the question, is because I bought several of these harness and would be fishing through out year with them. The way DNR is out in full force this (more so than other years), the last thing I want is to have my tackle box and rods taken away, pay a fine, loose my license or even work my way into a warning. I like to be legal and if my buddy had not quoted this rule after seeing my harness's at this point, I feel I would be violating the law. We will find out. Thanks

I wouldn't get too hopped up about the rules covering this subject. First, CO's are usually pretty good at dealing with vague rules and regs like these may be. If/when you run into a tough CO and he pinches you - and you feel he's stretching the interpretation of a loosely defined law - then treat the officer with respect but call the prosecuting court and talk to someone in the prosecutors office. They will often get the charges thrown out on it't triviality because these courts do not like to have the trivial cases filling up their dockets.

Remember, and CO pinch is no diffent that a motor vehicle citation and you are innocent until proven guilty. In other words, fight the case especially if there is equipment confiscated.

I would think if this was illegal, the co's could write tickets all day long and never stop. Anybod that fishes has these in their tackle boxes anyways. Besides if that was the case they should not be sold in stores then.

Still have not heard back from CO from big lake yet. Gilby, the lady at the DNR H.Q. stated "many things that are sold over the counter in minnesota are illegal to use. It is up to the sportsman to figure out if what he is purchasing is legal or not". I already modified Harness's and I figure they are legal now. Getting ready for "Big Cat" trip on Sat. and then will retool for opener next week.

here is the reply I got back from the DNR...

Sorry it took so long to reply but I've been on the road a lot. Here is the "offical guidance" until permanant rules and or laws are clarified and in place. #2 seems to be the answere to your question, ergo-- yes.

Until those permanent rules are adopted, the following guidance will prevail:

1. Angling with bare multiple hooks (including treble hooks) is unlawful.

2. An angler may have up to three single or multiple hooks on a line that are either inserted into the live bait or within three inches of the live bait, and only one live bait may be used on a line. Live bait includes bait that is alive, dead, or preserved.

3. An angler may have one additional single or multiple hook on a line with an artificial bait as long as the additional hook is within three inches of the artificial bait. Artificial bait includes jigs, artificial flies, and flashing spoons.

4. Quick strike rigs and stinger hook arrangements meeting the requirements described in items 2 and 3 above may be used.