• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
slimngrizzly

Ottertail walleye fishing and resort ????

slimngrizzly

3 friends and I would like to take our fathers on a small weekend fishing trip. It will probably be around the end of June or so and we were thinking about trying Ottertail Lake. Does anyone have any recommendations on what time of year to fish eyes there and possibly a nice (yet affordable) place to stay?? I (and my dad) would really appreciate any help/ tips/ suggestions! Thanks!

B. Amish

You could try the Perham Chamber of Commerce website (do a google search and it should come up)

On their website they have a section for local resorts, not too many listed for ottertail lake, but it lists phone numbers for all of the resorts on the website. it would be a good starting point for pricing information at least.

I can't vouch for one resort or another as I've never stayed at any of them. If you don't want to rough it, there are a couple of hotel/motels in Ottertail city, one being Thumper Pond, a plus if you guys want to golf too.

Gissert

I'll echo what B. Amish said.

There is a plethora of nice places to stay. Barky's is a nice place on the west side of Ottertail.

Again, Thumper Pond is a wonderful facility, though it is not on the lake. If you like to golf, this is the place to be, but bring a few extra sleeves of balls, LOL grin.gif

For dinnertime: Zorbaza on Ottertail if you like Mexican or pizza; The Otter is great for steaks/prime rib; Elmer's for great BBQ; and Amor Rumour's or Greystone for a nice general restaraunt

Good Luck!

slimngrizzly

Any recomendations on the good times for fishing, Im sure its better earlier but what do people do out there? bobber, jig, cranks,lindy? Is it weedy, clear, muddy. Is it more bigger fish, smaller year class? Just curious. I DO NOT GOLF!!! In the boat fishing, or on shore with Busch Light..... thats all I need to be happy! grin.gif

Gissert

People use all the methods that you list. At that time of year, I'd go with jigs or rigging.

The lake tends to run on the clear side, with lots of sand shoals and rubble bars/humps. There are also some good cabbage beds that hold fish as well. Not much mud to speak of.

While there are some nice fish in the lake, most tend to run on the small side. There are some nice perch to be had also.

Crank are also popular, but moreso after dark.

If you catch any pike, keep in mind there are special regulations. Only 1 fish, and it has to be over 30 inches IIRC.

slimngrizzly

Thanks fellas laugh.gif

woody1975

Where is Elmers?

DL

Gissert

Highway #78, just south of balmoral golf course.

esoxfreek

denny and the crew at 3 seasons resort are truly wonderful people

Reggie

Every year in late July my family and I drive up and stay at Holly's resort on the west end of the lake. The cabins are very nice. If you need info on where to fish on Ottertail, you can usually get it from Gary at Ken's Tackle.

Reggie

For food, you can't go wrong with Elmer's BBQ. I also suggested Stubb's Prime Rib for a slightly more expensive but very tasty meal.

esoxfreek

the food at amor rumours is great and really$$cheap on the budget.

Great Dane

Elmers may be O.K. for the tourists that usually pay more for food, but for the locals its too spendy. Especialy with the small servings.

vister

I guess I'm more of a Zorbaz kinda guy, especially the nachos and pizza. mmmmmm.....beer