• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Those Tree Stumps are Moving

brittman

I was driving between the baseball diamonds and home last night and went by a small pond located about 1/2 SE of White Bear Lake. The far side of the pond transitions into a steep sided hill covered with oaks.

I always slow down to look at the geese and woodducks.

Anyway a couple of old rotted tree stumps on the far side of the pond start moving. I stop to take a second look (it has been a long day). The stumps are a pair of gobblers.

One Tom is in full strut right on the pond edge. The second Tom is about 1/4 up the side hill also in full strut.

At 8:07PM I see a hen fly up to her roost tree. The Toms strutted another 10 minutes.

Told my wife that I was going to "work" those birds some morning and she looked at me like I was crazy. ooo.gif

While these birds are living in the "woods" they are essentially surrounded by housing developments, this is not a township / country area.

I saw a couple hens crossing a field just north of there about 2 miles north of there. There are deffinitly plenty of birds around.

Brittman,

My wife saw 2 hens and a tom 3 weeks ago in Bossard park. White Bear Lake is being taken over by turkeys. I think a special hunt is in order, and I am more than happy to volunteer my services. grin.gif

Actually, it is kind of cool to watch these birds hang out in town. Of course, everyone that doesn't hunt says, "Geez, they're everywhere. Turkey hunting must be easy." Yea, right buddy.

I was out walking my dog in St. Paul behind the Highland Pool when he started to act a little crazy. I have seen deer back there before so that is what I thought was causing my dog's excitement. Wrong, it was 6 Toms. I had only seen turkeys out in the fields before never that close up. Awesome looking birds and to think they are hanging out in St. Paul. So anyways they are everywhere so why are they so tough to hunt Ray? wink.giflaugh.gifsmile.gif