• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hey yall..i was down at the ponds this morning with my brother and a friend of mine. we got down there at 430 in the morning and there were already 20-25 vehicles down there. i talked to a few of the guys and one individual said he camped down there last nite and got there around 1030. i myself think that is a little crazy but i guess they new the spot and what to use. they managed to get there limit within 45 min. i myself didn't do as good as i thaught i would. the dnr was down there earlier checking people and giving tickets away like there candy. ill be down there later on tonite. i still need a few to catch. if ur willing to go give it a try im just giving u some advice that u will have a hard time trying to find a parking spot and u will have to fish literally like shoulder to shoulder apart. ITS NUTS! ive never been so crowded fishing there ever. well good luck to all and have fun. smile.gif

I have been down there many times when its like that. I find no fun in it at all. Glad to hear the dnr was down there. Those ponds get very abused. The only time I'll fish down there now is in late July and August when its hot and the bait fishermen cant catch em anymore.

I was there from 10:30am - 1:00pm. It took awhile but I did get tuned in and did manage 5 fish. I did leave with all five fish still swiming in the pond.

We took a trip to the saw mill, the bullheads are biting and I did catch a 12" Bass.

Fishingboy2008, I might see you at the Trout ponds later. I'll be the one with the 10' rod.

i think i may have seen u down there perhaps mudddog. i ended up going a couple times but didn't manage to get my limit today. i might be down there early tomorrow morning or if not ill be there towards evening. i have to get some stuff done around the house and work on my boat still so i can have that ready in less then a month for walleye opener. well anyways best of luck to u all.

I went to the ponds last weekend. WOW did I see fishing magic. At times this one guy would catch 15 fish in 15 casts! The closest thing to a fishing superstar I have ever seen. It's was like going to school. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last yr Fishinboy and I saw this guy using a fly rod with a little glass float and a tiny fly tipped with a waxie. He sort of tossed the rig out and in 2 strips he caught a fish. he released everyone of them and he caught one every cast for about 3 hrs we were there. It was rather impressive. The best ive done there was a bite every cast but a hookup and caught fish every three casts and that was on kastmasters.

i was down there yesterday and used a kastmaster for about an hour. my buddy had 3 hits within 10 min and i was using the same thing and i didn't have 1. so then i switched over to a bobber with a night crawler and that seemed to do the trick. by buddy snagged a northern down there also. i managed to catch my limit but it took me a while to accomplish. i hear that alot of the guys down there are having pretty good luck on minnows. ive never tried them down there yet. has anybody tried leeches yet? anyways i might be down there tonite to catch a few more...

This guy was using a small flu-flu jig. He fished it with very fast twitches. The fish seemed to just have to hit it.

I did well with a size 16 Beadhead Pheasant tail flash nymph. Boy that is a long name for a small lure. Depth seemed to be very important.

Fished the ponds for about for two hours to day caught about 17 trout. Then we went over to the sawmill and caught about 18 crappies mostly 5 inchers and caught 3 times as many bullheads.

Muddog were you at the ponds to day. Where you fishing on the pond to right when you come in.

I was fishing on all three pond today. I did fish the one to the right from 5:30pm to 6:45pm. At least 5 fish from every pond! EEEHA! grin.gif I did catch two from the long pond (The one to the right when you come in) before the rain.

Man; I love my new 4wt TFO fly rod.

I like your name, because all day I was saying; with this 2 lb tipit I wish I had a net. I even went to Gander at 8:30 am to get one. They don't open untill 10:00 am on Sundays. I though @#$#@!! this and went back to fishing!

When it rained I went to the saw mill and hooked up with some spinners (Bullheads) no crappies blush.gif.

Who were you?

I was the kid that was sitting on the log at the ponds. was with my Dad and cousin.

We caught the crappies on the back side of the sawmill where the trees are laying in the water. We were in the boat probably seen the boat when we were at the ponds.

Hey guys I was wondering where these ponds you talking about are. I don't have a boat and need a good place to fish from shore.

The trout ponds are near St Peter. If your going to St Peter from the East on Hwy 99 once you get to the bottom of the hill (down in the valley) take the Ottawa road to the north. The pond are around two miles down the road and 100yards to the left. There are some warning flags for some road repair near the turn.

Geldners Saw mill pond is to the south of Beaver Dam. Around 200yards south of the East lake Jefferson boat landing. When you get to the saw mill turn in and drive down to the pond. If you have young kids they will have a blast with the Bullheads, as long as you take the fish off grin.gif. In a week or three the landing at Jefferson and across on Lake German will be full of sunnies.

what type of trout do you generally catch? browns? what is the common size and presentation? any info would be greatly apprecaited.

The trout that they stock are rainbows I haven't see a brown caught in the last 5 years. The best bait I've used is a 6 or 8 ice fishing jig with a minnow waxworms work to. Also have had luck on small mepps spinners.

Yellow, yellow or yellow.

These are farm raised fish. Not wild. I have very good luck with a yellow power bait Trout worm with a piece Gulp corn. Run a #8 aberdene hook in to the tip of the worm and keep running it inside the worm then bring the tip of the hook out at the center of the worm. The worm should hang straight with the line. Now place the corn on the hook so the tip of the hook just comes out of the corn. If you use sinkers place them at the bottom of the bobber. You want the lure to slowly sink.

If it is small, LIGHT and yellow, it should work. That is why the flyrod. I'm using very light lures. A bobber with the lead just under it works nicely. Use a ultra-light rod and let the fish fight. If you yank the fish to the surface and tow it in you might as well go fish Bullheads.

the best way is to throw dog food out and get them all worked up then use brown flys. (match the hatch) grin.gif

i haven't been down to the ponds since they have restocked them last. ive heard of alot of people getting there limits also. the last i was down there was last fri when they stocked the ponds and i used mepps spinners, worms, corn, wax worms, and i didn't have 1 bite or any luck the whole nite. i was down there in the evening from 530 till about 7. i was using 4 pound test with a size 10 hook and very small bobber. is there a reason why i didn't get anything or was the bite just that slow that evening? however i never used minnows and that seemed to be the trick that night. i thaught that in the regulations book u can only use minnows in designated trout streams and only if they are dead, dried or pickled. are the ponds considered a designated trout stream? i seen the dnr guy down there a couple of times this year already and he didn't give anybody tickets for using live minnows. so i take it they are legal? ill see if i cant get down there sometime within the next few days or so. any info would be great. thanks guys! confused.gif

I'll be there Thursday from 4-6pm if you are there and see me let me know. Maybe I can help you out. I'll be the one roll casting with the flyrod and I'll have a Gander cap on.