• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Timing belt change???

anchor man

Question

I have a 2000 Honda Accord with 73k miles. I've heard some say to replace the timing belt as a maintenance precaution before it goes out, as it'll cost many times more in engine damage than to replace and keep a "fresh" belt. Is this typically an issue with these cars around the 100k mile mark? Have a hard time forking out 600 as maintenance, but maybe it's necessary????

any thought?

10 answers to this question

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I will give you my personal story on timing belts. As a senior in high school, about 10 year ago, I was driving the olds mans Plymouth Laser down the freeway at about 65 mph and the timing belt went out. Let's just say everything came to a grinding halt right then and there. It was about $2500 to overhaul the entire engine, all of the pistons where completely shot. I believe the car had about 75k miles at the time. I had to wake the old man up at 11 pm, and he wasn't happy.

I replace them every 60,000 miles for piece of mind. Sure they can last longer but you don't want to go 1 minute too long.

I blew one at 150,000 on my old '87 Accord although I don't know if that was the original or if it had been replaced at some point. If I rememeber correctly, it cost me < $300 to replace.

This is for a 2.3 engine Replace Timing Belt, Balancer Belt, and inspect Water Pump every 105,000 miles. We normally put the idlers for timing belt and do water pump.

100k is about the right time to do it, $600 seems steep, its about a 3.5 job and the belt isnt that costly. BUT its a wearing item and if you ride it hard it can bust st anytime, but a new one can also! I would wait!

It would depend upon if your engine is an interference engine or not. In other words if your engine will be junk if the timing belt goes I would replace it as soon as the manual suggests. Otherwise if it breaks and causes no damage other than getting towed to the shop, then you don't have to worry about it, unless you don't want to stall someday when it does break?

thanks for the input. Is there any way for the belt to be inspected, or is that where the cost comes from...labor to get at it?

Have 2 cars (Toyota and Mazda) that have timing belts. Every 60-70,000 miles I change the belt, water pump and if the pulleys need changing I change..

It's about $350 each vehicle.

Its not a phisical thing you can see usually, sometimes you will see cracks, but its best to just change it at the recomended interval, and yes this is an interference engine! The recomended interval is 105k as noted before, unless you ride it hard then change it now! But for normal driving it should go beyond the recomandation of 105K.

I'd get a little closer to the 100,000 mile mark. $5-600 isn't too bad if it includes the belt, a water pump, a belt tensioner, and all the labor. I had this all done on my wife's Outback at the recommended 115,000 and got the parts back; the belt looked in pretty darn good shape to me. I do feel much better with her driving around with a new one, though. There's not much that can be repaired for less than $600 after the fact if it is an interference engine.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.