• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spirit Lake Fish Hatchery

We where planning on taking a group of young kids down to the Spirit Lake Fish Hatchery today but one of the group leaders called yesterday and they said this weekend was not good as nothing is happening just yet with the netting, We where invited to show up next saturday so hopefully the weather starts warming up. If you have never visited the Hatchery during spring spawn season I would recommend you make the trip there, you will get to see how these fish are milked, mixed, and hatched to fry, you also get a chance to see some 40"-50+" muskies up close as well as the big walleyes and northerns from northern Iowa. The Hatchery is open 24hrs a day this time of year for visitors.

hey thanks for the info and saveing me time I was going to bring my daughter down there 2maro. So they say next weekend will be a better time to be there she is four and loves fishing more than I do no lie I guess it is in the blood and happy easter

I was down to the Hatchery on Saturday and there was a sign on the front door saying that gillnetting would begin Monday night April 9th. Next weekend would be a great time to visit the Hatchery.

I just left there and there are fish in the tanks.

They were able to go Monday night and caught some fish.

The weather shut them down since then, but they are going to run tonight and probably will go every night till they are full.

Theres some nice eyes in there:

IMG_6659.JPGIMG_6661.JPGIMG_6663.JPG

And some lunker Muskies!

IMG_6666.JPGIMG_66643.JPG

There should be lots more to see by the weekend.

It doesnt cost anything to tour the facility and its open 24/7 during the hatchery process. Its a free roaming facility, but keep in mind they are working. The hatchery workers are usually more than willing to share information, when it is slow.

If you want to be there when the trucks bring fish in, it is usually about 10 - 10:30 pm, and 1-1:30 am each night.

Theres also snakes, and a full aquarium of the rest of the species of fishes in the Iowa Great Lakes.

hdrider and myself were there on sat and I"ll I can say is oh my god !!! do thay have some big fish in there, I asked on what is the biggest so far and its is 29 3/4 " long for a walleye, and for the muskey's i think over 50 inches, if you can get down there and see it.

Gettin bigger every day:

53" 47lbs.

Just cuz she dwarfs the other fishin the tank, dont think the other fish are small.. IMG_6674.JPG

Walleyes over 13lbs also in now.

I never knew this was down there? I just came from looking at a cabin down there. And have been going down there for about four years now. Could I get some directions to it?

It's right in between the south end of Big Spirit, and the North end of East Okoboji, straight south of the boat ramp on the south end of Big Spirit.

Where are you looking for a cabin at? Big Spirit?

West Okoboji. My aunt has a place down by Milford and one on East Okoboji. I have never fished there but I have seen some nice fish caught out there.

a couple of friends and i went down there last night around 12:30 and the sign on the door said open but it was locked adn there was no lights on

It is my understanding, that they are now locking the front doors after 10. This is because they cannot keep track of what happens/liabilities at the front aquarium area when they are busy in the back during the hatchery operations.

I am told, that you need to park out front and walk around to the back and the doors will be open directly to the hatchery operations area.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.