• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are there any maps of the river?

Kyle Sandberg

So are there any. Like underwater structure and places to look out for.

Changes from year to year, I had the channel marked from Champlin to Clearwater on on my old GPS, yeah, I forgot to download it when they replaced my unit. My Bad. blush.gifblush.gif

They have one on the wall in the bait shop in Monticello. Its pretty neat, has depth and names of areas. I don't know how accurate it is, I think the river is constantly changing. Your best map will be in your head when you say to yourself, I hit a rock over there and over there and over there..

I had a really nice one for several stretches of the river from St.Cloud all the way to Coon Rapids. I"ll see if I can find them. I"ll post if I do!

Yeah, big musk411,

I like to mark all the dangerous rocks with outboard or boat paint so they are really easy to see next time through... grin.gifgrin.gif

I guess its to bad my river boat is also my lake boat as well as my duck boat. And therefore it is camo, so that doesn't work too well.

Quote:

I like to mark all the dangerous rocks with outboard or boat paint so they are really easy to see next time through...
grin.gifgrin.gif

Get it right gorrilla, paint is for for .....'s, ya gotta leave aluminum and stainless, best way is to leave chunks of skeg's and prop chip's, it's been said that some folk's can follow the river with a metal finder. blush.gifblush.gif

You all are correct there aren't any usable maps of the river currently... But, there will be a fairly comprehensive survey of the river this year including depth mapping.... So stay tuned. grin.gif

I don't suppose there's a map of the river upstream of the royalton dam (zebulon pike lake)? I fished it from shore last summer and caught some northerns...looks like a nice place to launch a boat.

Check out the DNR lakefinder, I think they have that stretch.

I checked that out, was hoping to get some fish info, but they didn't have anything. Anyone do any fishing there?

• 2 weeks later...

any more news on these maps that are to be created this year?

Quote:

any more news on these maps that are to be created this year?

It will take a few trips to get any accuracy in our stretch (St. Cloud to Coon Rapids) but the entire river will have main channel depths and a complete report will be compiled at the end of next year. Some of the areas that have web sites will probably have pdf versions for download by mid summer..... I hope.. grin.gif

I grew up Elk River and launched at 101 bridge for many years. Trial and error! I have a good badge of honor on my lower unit. It occurred right in front of power plant, on a stretch that I cruised all the time. Occupational hazard! I firmly feel any survey of the stretch between E.R. and St. Cloud would only be good for about 2 years. Low water level and fast current makes changes quick and swift. Great habitat for smallies though. When I get upstream of Otsego Park during summer, it starts to get hairy. This is good canoe area. I have had better luck going in back waters streamage right across Otsego Park. That's a Good area. Also tried going out of Monticello area many times, Will only take canoe from now on. Trial and error! Once you get out their and take it slow, you will get a feel on how thing's are. Just do not run wide open. It sucks hitting those rocks.

Very well put shackbash. Pick an area and learn it through trial and error. The potential reward carries with it the risk of broken props and other hazards. Fishing can be very good, if you know what you are doing. River fish will migrate alot, so the only thing that separates one stretch of the river from the next is if you know where the rocks are.

See you on the river!

Quote:

This is good canoe area.

Last year it even sucked with a canoe. It's Riverpro country!!! If only I could convince the lady that I need one frown.gif

Below is the badge of honor from Elk River area on Mississippi, my lower unit wears.

ZhEyUDmmEf0WARXbCYm3ykzyIkVm3yRM0300.jpg

Even a newer prop use in Mississippi up hear, does not look new after a couple trips. eNSnI2ZgkinIJG82RJuNwSUE+faW2s8s0300.jpg

That's just a scratch, here's a couple more for ya from the current crop, I don't have a pic of last years.

Skeg062606_2.jpgProp_71305_109.jpg

Run the river with a prop boat and it WILL cost you.

I cracked the lower unit housing in the fall of 05. Thanks Monti! Funny thing is that I made it through the shallow section, but no one told the boulder it's in the wrong area. confused.gif

• 1 month later...

any updates on these maps, im really looking forward to them as i am newer to the river and have had limited time to check it out

• 5 weeks later...

I earned a similar badge of honor on the Croix, tore off most of the skeg on my motor. It didn't get it too bad though cause it wasn't really effected to bad. That eirey sound of crunching and snapping and the sudden stop the boat makes is pretty sickening. I was thinking about heading out on the Sippi from Anoka to do a little smallie fishing. I know there are a lot of pleasure boaters in the area, is there a good portion of the river there that is fishable or am I better off going somewhere else. I should note I have a long shaft 15 on a short shaft transom. I know its not idea, but all I could afford so I make do.

Thanks,

Tom

If you do try it down here stay below the bridge, you can run above it but you're taking your skeg and prop in your hands if you are not familier with it. It's different water, its like a lake below the bridge but theres some good fish here if you put some time in.

My dad's friend had a house right on the river back when I was a kid. It was between the launch in Anoka and the CRD. It was pretty deep off the end of his dock and he had a big speed boat we would take up and down the river all the time. He never did go past the bridge up there though so I would assume that is why. I would like to try working some of the docks in some deeper water for smallies. Are there any recommended spots between the Anoka launch and the CRD? Any spots in particular that I should look out for in that stretch for potential dangers?

Thanks,

Tom

The lower end is a learning experience, I can't think of any place that there's a water hazard, a deadhead every once and a while. Theres a lot of deep water and as many docks as you can cast to in a week, its a different river below the bridge, some folks do really well, you can find fish in every deep spot, I don't have the patience to fish it like I should, I troll and cast blades, live bait bores me to tears, even off my own dock while drinking beer and watching company drown crawlers and crayfish.