• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Under Armor??

fishing4fun

Question

I'm looking for some imput Under Armor. I've been told it's not a good source of heat when you are just going to sit around. But if you are moving it is awesome. Have any of you fellow fishermen had this problem? I'm looking at going and buying a set.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

I had the cold eather stuff and didnt think it was any better than some of the other under wear I have used. It way more expensive as well. I didnt think it was worth the extra cash at all. I also dont like how tight it fits.

I absolutely love the stuff. I have 3 mock T long sleeve shirts. One strictly for Bow Hunting, One for general hunting and one for all purpose. Two pair of bottoms and a couple of pairs of gloves. I like the tight fit as it seems to stay tucked in very nicely and doesn't add any bulk.

you are better off going with either Duofold or the Gander version GSX, they are the same stuff but they cost a fraction of what under armor costs.

last year i bought a set of cold gear from the cabelas tent sale, i paid less than what it would cost for a cold gear camo mock T. I just got plain green since i always wear it under clothes, color didn't matter. i like the tight fit, no bulk, wicks water away when getting sweaty.

Save your money. I think the stuff is way over rated. I also do not like the tight fit, and I actually felt cold as soon as I put them on. My better half had the same opinion.

They went back where they came from and we bought the Duo Folds from Gander and could not be happier. (at half the price)

I would say you need to try it out. My buddy and sister love them... I personally hate them. I like my other kinds or long under wear much much better. Guess it's all personal choice

I didn't like the stuff at all. It's for wicking, but what I use, I think is the ultimate in warmth and wicking, comfort and non weight are fleece mock turtlenecks. I'm amazed with my less layers and more comfort when I start my layers with a fleece mock turleneck. I never get cold.

I wear the cheaper Cabelas version and really like the stuff. I wear it as it is intended, part of a layer system. It keeps you dry and I like the tight fit, it doesn't ball up in your armpits or elbows.

I agree with the layers. I got a set of the black tight Duofold base layer as a gift and hated it at first as I just wore it alone under the rest of my clothing. No warmth and wind blocking by itself. It is not designed for warmth, though, but for wicking. So I put a second layer of Cheapo long underwear over it and then dressed normal (if not lighter than normal). After roofing my Dad's garage and not sweating or feeling cold on a 20 deg cloudy windy day, I was sold on it as a base layer. Now that combo is my go-to. Haven't tried the U.A. gear, I'd rather spend that elsewhere.

On the other hand, I would have loved to bought some of that stock early! wink.gif It is EVERYWHERE and EXPENSIVE.

I use the Heat gear and love it. My brother in Law swore by it in Kuwait and I gave it a shot and it works great. grin.gif

I ran Track and crosscountry in high school last yr and we originally used underarmour as a wicking layer for colder days. Granted it isnt made for warmth alone but by wicking your sweat away it keeps heat as a by product. Absoulutely love the stuff as again mentioned part of a layering system. I bought a generic set this spring and Im lookign forward to field testing while bowhunting next fall.

I have found it great for its intended purpose, as a base layer for wicking perspiration. Really eliminates that wet clammy feeling against your skin. It is overpriced, shop off season; buy heat gear in winter, cold gear in summer for the best deals.

Hate to give away a secret, but i have seen under armor qhite often at Marshall's often for as cheap as $10-$15 per shirt