• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trilene Maxx?

figured this would go right along with the fireline crystal post. Has anyone had any experiences yet with the Trilene Maxx? is it worth the extra couple of bucks from XL or XT?

A new line worth trying is Sufix Elite on spinning reels. After using Trilene XL for decades, I found this line and it is truly the best I have used, at least in 8# test. It casts well, has unbelieveable knot strength, and is much stronger than 8# breaking strength.

Quote:

figured this would go right along with the fireline crystal post. Has anyone had any experiences yet with the Trilene Maxx? is it worth the extra couple of bucks from XL or XT?

I put it on one spool for this year. I'm already a little concerned about the stiffness and thickness (12lb). I won't pass judgement on it until it has gone through a fair trial period. I bought it to throw lures into pads, stumps, and general junk for Bass.

I spooled up 4 casting rods with it on your trip to Lake Amistad. I fished for 8 12hr days straight with it, which is more time than most guys put in a month around here. I wanted to use mono because the water claritiy is over 20 feet in the lake (I normally have the majority of my rigs with power-pro braid and I like P-line CXX mono for spinning or light weight rigs). I was using the MAXX 17lb test line in the green color. I found that is has a very large diameter and is a super-coily line, I even had to tighten down my casting control to keep the loose wraps out of my reel. There was less stretch (much less than berkley big game) and I was able to pick up strikes easily in 30 ft of water using power worms. Strength was good, I was able to haul in a 10lb fish with it that wrapped me in some brush so it did the job when it mattered most. I didn't think it was better for abrasion resistance, about the same as XT (just thicker). I spent most of the trip fishing sunken underwater brush that was very sharp. When I feel any type of cut or knick in mono I always retie my line, and I had to do that about 10-15 times a day. I was down to about 1/2 to 2/3 of a spool on all my rods by the time the trip was over. Personally, I will go back to P-line because it has less coil, it's super strong, less stretch, good abrasion resistance, without the larger line diameter. Overall Berkley Maxx got the job done for me, but I think there is better line out there. It is fun to try out new line, you'll never know what works better for your fishing style until you try it out. Personally, I can't stand suffix line. I feel like I'm fishing with a rubber band that stuff has so much stretch. Hang up a lure good and try to pull it out and you will find out what i'm talking about right away. The guys that like a really smooth line with less coil seem to like suffix.

Here is the 9.9lb bass that I caught on 2/25/07. She hung me good on the brush on the photo. Released unharmed right after the picture.

112-1263_IMG.jpg

Excellent report. Fair and to the point. I'll add some info from testing against Gamma at the Pure Fishing lab:

Maxx casts 20% further

Maxx is 10% more sensitive

Maxx is 40% tougher

and Maxx is 76% more abrasion resistant

Maxx is Trilene XL and XT's lovechild. It's meant to be used on baitcasters over spinning reels, and is excellent for open water trolling with planer boards, pitching and flipping, and fishing topwater baits for big fish.

The sensitivity compares to Trilene Sensation, but has a bit more stretch.

I'd like to hear more reports about the line's memory. Acording to my tech reports it is supposed to be a low memory line.

I havnt tried it yet....

Ive got nothing against Trilene, I use it and like it but as far as the Gamma comparision what type of line did they compare it to? I dont know what to think when I hear a company compared their product to another and it was far superior. Ive heard good things about Gamma and will try it this year. Maybe Ill try Maxx out too and compare them myself.

got5 some 8 lb trilene maxx spooled up, and this stuff is THICK! it is at least double the diameter of the 8lb silver thread that i bought at the same time. And is even thicker than the 12lb XL i have on one of my baitcasters. We will see how it performs in what i feel to be a grueling test (suckers in a heavily-rock laden stream) in a couple weeks.

I haven't tried the Berkley MAXX line on a spinning outfit yet, and I only used the larger 17lb test. The coil was there, but It did get a little better as the week went on. It may not be as big of an issue with the lighter lines.