• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pin Settings

Rippinlip

This might have been brought up before, sorry if it was.

When setting up pins, how are most of you doing this?

10,20,30 yards, 20, 40, then another for elevated shootings?

I am only shooting with a 3 pin fiber optic sight.

I am real confident in shots out to 25 yards, I have been practicing longer shots, but need alot more practice there.

Just some ideas where to set other pins.

I have been thinking 20,35,50. That way I could use the 35 as my max range pin, split the pins for yardage for less than 35 or 20. Only use the 50 for 3D shoots or practicing.

Not only that but that would give some pretty good pin seperation on my sights.

Is this proper thinking or advice please.

Thanks

Mark

I go 20, 30, 40, 50. I really don't see a need for the 10 since I am only about an inch high at 10 with the 20 pin. I have 4 pins, and to be honest I don't know that I will ever use the last 2 pins in a hunting situation where I hunt. Conditions would have to be very good for me to even consider a 40 yard shot at this point in my shooting game.

Your 20, 35, and 50 sounds confusing to me, but that's just me. If you come up with a system, practice, and it works good for you then I say go for it. One other thing I have learned is to practice judging distances in all kinds of terrain and then finding out how close you really were. That I believe is just as important as being able to put it where it counts. (when you already know the yardage)

15-30-40

most of my stands I am looking at a 15 yard shot... the 40 yard pin is just for practice.

When I used a three pin sight I used a 20,30,40. Now I have shot only 1 pin as almost all of my shots are within 25 yards and my bow will shoot to 30 without much drop. I personally didnt like all those pins sitting there when I hardly ever used them.

When out west in more open country I will then go 20-30-50. I dont really like to take 50 yards shots as I am not the best at judging distance and that will only make me wound deer.

I personally have my set at 15, 25, & 35 because I don't think I'll get anything closer than 15 and I'm not good enough to shoot farther than 35 under the best circumstances. I'm FAR from any sort of expert though so I wouldn't consider this any sort of recommendation, just throwing it out there...

I also only use 1 pin and don't have any drop out to 30 yards. What a difference in technology from my 15 year old bow to my new one.

I have my pins set at 20, 30, 40. All of my hunting shots will be taken with the 20 yard pin but I like to practice with the 30 and 40 yard pins, it seems like if I can hit from 40 yards, when I move back to 30 and 20 yards, I can really drill them. Also, if I ever decided to go out West after mule deer and/or antelope, I'd add a 50 yard pin, but I would also add a range finder to my equipment. With a little bit of practice, most of us can hit the long shots, but the key is accurate range estimation.

I use 1 pin set for 30 yards. but I think it has alot to do with the bow u r using

20, 30, 40 with the stuff on the market today 15 and 20 yard pins will be about 1/4 inch difference unless you have a heavy arrow or low poundage.

Hence why I shoot 15-30... I used to shoot 20-30-40... butI was finding that most of my hunting situations were coming up 15 yard shots.. and then I would have to compensate to aim lowas I knew when I was shooting 20 yards my arrow as about 2-3" high? Now I know people say.. 2-3 " high is still a kill. but why have to comensate?.. and I would rather miss a little low.. than miss a little high.. You get a much better blood trail off a lower hit than you do a high hit.

I'm not saying people should change... I have just found something that works very good for me!

Exactly why I went back to a pendelum sight. One pin and the adjustment is made for you on how close or far away the deer is. When I use to use this sight I always had my best deer hits. Then I went to another new style and my hits were off. These sights are very nice for shots inside 30 yards with no adjustment needed. smile.gif

Wow,

That was alot of real good info. I am taking all this into consideration, including Lee's info on pendalum sights and do alot more shooting.

Thanks alot

Mark