• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

boat carpeting

Mike Steckelberg

Question

I was given an old boat and trailer and i need to replace the carpet and reupolster the seats, maybe even replace the seats with swivel seats. can anyone point me in the right direction to get some good boat carpet and some decent seats. i would even consider buying some used swivel seats. thanks in advance

21 answers to this question

you can order carpet and seats from different catologs; Overtons, Cabelas, and others. I recently replaced the carpet in my boat with some indoor/outdoor carpet from Menards. Alot of the local sporting good shops may carry it as well along with seats.

O

If you would buy it at a box store ask if its mold & mildew resistant.I once used indoor outdoor from a box store and 3yrs. later it was moldy and starting to stink!

I purchased some carpet from Cabelas and it worked out well. Many different colors and quality to choose from.

Right on Harvey Thats where I order mine now its mold mildew resistant,Just cheaked out my 14ft. boat yesterday for aluminum corrosion and it and carpet are just fine.it was redone 4yrs. ago.Costs more then Menards but no molds!

thanks for the info i will check out them places and hopefully i will have this boat ready for opener

Johnson's Carpet One in Duluth has some great prices on a few selections of indoor/outdoor carpet that dont look cheap. I have them in my boat and in my fish house. Also Mac's in Fargo has lots of good rubber linoleum (Marine Vinyl)for boats as well as carpets too.

I have indoor outdoor carpet on my boat, and the great thing about it is fishing hooks dont get caught in it because the fibers(?) are straight like grass not looped where your hook can get caught. It was from fleet farm. I dont know if it was mold resistant though.

thanks for all the replies...me and the boy was outside working on the boat and got the carpet up and found out the wood underneath is way past rotten so i will have to replace that also...no big deal though can't complain to much since the boat was free...its a 1978 larson with a 1978 johnson 70hp

Thats an excellent reason NOT to have carpet in a boat. Even if the carpet is mildew resistent, it will hold moisture against the flooring and eventually cause problems in many cases.

what else could i use for the flooring in this boat to avoid the wood underneath from getting rotten again. i will use treated plywood but that only last for so long

I haven't really looked into it...one of mine is just a lund w/aluminum floor, the other fiberglass w/ nonskid stuff on the floor. Possibly some sort of spray on (rhino-liner?) just guessing... it's a problem I run into all the time on the job (I'm a carpet installer), once something was originally carpeted once, (walls, ledges, cove base, etc...) it's easier for folks to just have me carpet it again, even if it's not the best thing to do with it. It usually requires an extra amount of work (tho' that may pay off in the long run) and most folks just want it covered again. Anyone else have any thoughts on other aftermarket floor treatments for a boat?

There was a thread on boat flooring or "Redoing Boat Woodwork". They talked about using Marine Grade Vinyl and I think I will sure look into that the next one I do. The search feature does not seem to be working too well but page back to 12-31-06 and look for it.

I bought and installed carpet from Overton's, the good stuff and all seemed good till i left a trouble light i was using get close to the carpet........It melted the carpet like cotton candy......must have been nylon cheep stuff, now after all the work i got a big bare spot.....I wonder? will any carpet do that or was it cheep nylon??

mpsteckel,

Don't use the treated plywood whatever you do. The chemicals are corrosive to aluminum. We've been using BC grade for over 20 years and haven't had one floor rot back out yet. The key is in the preperation. we treat the wood with fiberglass resin before installation and also educate the customer before they leave as to what caused the floor to rot out to begin with and what to do to prevent it in the future. Hasn't failed yet.

Correction on my last statement. They have revised the chemical composition of "green treat" to be compatible with aluminum. If you buy it, just make sure that it is labeled PTMC and not ACQ.

This is a nice timely thread to run into! I am in the process of redoing a section above my livewell that rotted out. What is BC plywood? Also, what glue is compatible with fiberglass resin?

Quote:

Correction on my last statement. They
have
revised the chemical composition of "green treat" to be compatible with aluminum. If you buy it, just make sure that it is labeled PTMC and not ACQ.

I guess I have to go and let the other guy know he was right, shouldn't I ?

Anyway you can marine vinyl, it's sold at many large retail stores (Cabelas, etc) it's washable, anti slip ( to a certain point), it won't smell like carpet, and you can lay it down with carpet glue which is available at same stores where you buy marine carpet/vinyl.

Ya Valv I know & knew,Didn't want to confuse or argue! Figured I'd let others be led astray.Ya know,do it with your stuff.Don't mislead people on this forum!

thanks to all that gave me some great advice....i'm in the process of drying the boat out so i can start putting in the new flooring , i am going to put resin on the plywood to water proof it and i am thinking of going with carpet just because i will have little kids in the boat and don't want them to slip and fall on vinyl.