• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
deadminnowcatcher

Car tune up question

Question

deadminnowcatcher

I just bought a 1994 Buick Park Ave. It seems to idle a little fast. Is there a way I can turn down the idle or does that have to be done with a computer? Another question- The dash light is very dim. cannot see speed etc. what would cause this? could it be a fuse? and if so where would the fuse be located??? I dont see one for dash lighs in the main fuse area under the steering wheel. thanks for any help

16 answers to this question

MattWtech

the high idle sounds like it has a vaccuum leak somewhere. a car could always use a throttle body clean(unless its a volkswagon, thats a different story!), then you could have a shop look at the IAC(idle air control) counts just to reasure if there is a problem w/ the idle as far as minor tune ups go.

the dash lights probably wont be a fuse unless its corroded and has alot of resistance going through it, which is unlikely. is the battery ok and does it charge ok?

Jeremy airjer W

This is a dumb question but are you sure you dont have the dimmer turned down for the dash lights?

I would guess a vacumm leak also for the high idle problem.

IFallsRon

Try spraying carb cleaner around the throttle body. If you notice any difference in the idle speed, you've likely found a leak. That also may indicate that the throttle body gasket is cracked and leaking. It's a pretty easy and inexpensive fix.

Scott K

You might want to make sure you dont have any arcing plug wires before spraying carb cleaner around the engine first!

Jeremy airjer W
good point, 4wanderingeyes!! I've started a few cars on fire with carb spray! Even lost some eyebrows, hair and skin!! I know use a smoker!!! grin.gif

deadminnowcatcher

dimmer switch is all the way up-- the car runs fine, but could it still be the battery???? think i will try another battery and see what happens. all the other lights on the car are not dimm so I would think that is not the problem

DinkADunk

You could have a problem with a floating ground. Make sure that the ground from the battery is sound, also any other ground straps you see. You could trace the wiring from the dimmer and take a wire and jump from the ground to the firewall (see if that does anything). You may also have a light dimmer that's past its prime and needs replacing. You could try and bypass the dimmer and see if the light works well. Of course it could always be the bulbs ! I had some strange problems with an older Honda Goldwing that was fixed by adding some ground straps around differnt parts of the frame and engine.

deadminnowcatcher

how could u bypass the dimmer? I tried a new battery and same thing. not sure how to get to wires behind the dash or dimmer

deadminnowcatcher

i also just played with the dimmer switch. It dims the radio light just fine but the dash light is very dim if anything at all. Either a bulb or a fuse. How do u get at where the bulb would be or where would the fuse be??? I see nothing for dash lights in the regular fuse area. Probably going to take a mechanic familialr with this car to answere

18 inch Crappie

You need to pull out the instrument cluster to replace the bulbs, there is about 5 or 6 if I remember right. I used to replace them all teh time on older GM cars.

Jeremy airjer W

Its probably not a fuse since they are working although very dim. If the fuse was bad they wouldn't work at all. Probably not the bulb because they are working. My money is on a bad ground, Bad cluster, or the wire supplying power to the I/P lights is very correded. Another possibility is the headlight switch has gone south. I've seen hundreds of these in GM's with burnt up connection that cause all kinds of problems.

The only other thing that struck me as add is that you never said if the dash lights dimmed at all while adjusting the dimmer. Even with the problems described above, once you limit voltage they should get dimmer or just go out all together. ODD!!

MattWtech

bad dimmer switch, i bet that type of swicth is apotentiometer that could be all gunked up or it could have resistance on the contact point you think?..and no you cant bypass it because it part of a series circuit for your lights, and highbeams i belive, ide just replace it even though its not 100% failed. easy to do only bout 100 bucks for the switch..on some cars..ive seen some harder ones though, let us know what you do we could probably walk you through it

fishing tech

18in crappie, I think you got it. the radio lights are on the same circuit, so if they dim with the switch the dimmer is good. I am gussing you have a few bulbs to replace.

deadminnowcatcher

how do u pull the instrument clusters out????

deadminnowcatcher

as far as the idle goes-- when u are driving 30 mph you can take your foot off gas and it will stay at a contant 30 mph. Under the hood there is a cable for the accelerator. it goes to an area where there are some springs???. there is a small screw that i could turn that would possibley change the idle?????? confused.gif

Jeremy airjer W
DON'T TOUCH!! The high idle is because of another problem. Vacumm leak, IAC valve or whatever. Messing with these screws will only mask the problem. Check for vacumm leaks first if that checks out try tapping the Idle Air Control valve. It will be on the throttle body and have a cylindrical silver body and a four wire connector I believe. If these don't pan out than have somebody take a look at it.