• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morel Mushroom hunting help

Meaney

Hey guys, I am new to the whole morel mushroom hunting thing! Can you tell me anything that can help me out this year in searching for those delicious fungi!!?!?

Where to look..

When to look...

Best time of day..

and so on!

Thanks gents smile.gif

I always start to look in my area when the Lilacs start to bloom. Usually the ground cover will have started to green up also.

I look around dead elm where the bark has half fallen off and also if there are any pricky ash around. Usually the south side slope is better but you can get suprised sometimes. You can also check some damp areas around the elm trees as the morels like damp ground. If it rains one day make sure to go looking the next day or two.

I have always looked in the morning so that is when I have my luck. Whe you have looked in one spot and think you are done, walk it from another direction and you should find more. Many times I will simply turn around and look again and by changing angles you can see those little buggers better.

When you go looking for the little grays, take along a 3' stick so you can stand in one spot and move the underbrush around while looking. If you find some just stand there and keep looking because if you find one you are probably going to find more. The grays will pop first and then the nice big yellows will follow.

Its a matter of walking alot and trying to find some spots and then recheck them year after year until those spots stop producing and they will.

Many times I will have my wife drop me off and come back in an hour or so. This helps with others wondering what you are doing and dont tell anyone where you are picking or you will find a empty spot next time out. I usually try and find a new spot or two every year as you never know when your favorite spots will stop producing. Much walking inviolved. If you are by a state area, dont look near the road but get back there and in the tougher part. Many will only look by the easiest place and deeper in the woods you may find paradise for morels.

This should get you started and dont tell anyone where you found them or the next time you go, you will have company.

Good luck and enjoy those tasty buggers.

HL nailed it, great advice. Elms are a dead give away for grays but don't be fooled, they can grow about anywhere. They like damp areas so look for moss, many time the grays will grow right in the moss. Yellows seem to like more open ground. I find most of them on trails or along the edges of woods. Last years logged areas can be good for both types. Watch the lilacs, when they think about blomming, be in the woods! Good luck!

i've never hunted morels either but remember these guys talking bout it last year, if u want maybe we can try to find some together, 2 sets of eyes are better than 1 and you can even keep the majority of the shrooms we find, i just want a couple to see what all the hype is about and i really doubt by the look of them that my other half will even try them, i dont have any places in mind for looking but im guessing essox park and quarryhill would be a starting point, shoot me an email when it gets closer if your interested

YUM YUM love spring my first ones i found last year were on april 9th grays my buddy went over the hill and found 20 yellows wish i wouldnt have taken him to my eary spot opener of fishing is always peak time eyes and mushrooms for dinner

Probably only a few weeks now. Lets hope for some damp warm weather and the eating will be great.

• 2 weeks later...

This cold weather sucks! I was hoping to be doing some mushrooming in the next few weeks...but it's not looking good. We need warm weather! Does anyone have any suggestions when to start looking? I am thinking about starting to look the last week of April. Lets hope we get some damp warm weather sooner than later.

We need some daytime temps of 60-70 and the night no cooler than mid 40's. Usually by the later part of April there out. At least the smaller grays.

Come on heat and moisture, I'am ready to start eating those babies.

oh man, i cant wait for the shrooms! Im thinking of some morels and venison steaks!!!! smirk.gif

Yeah...it looks like it will be late April if we are lucky. The 10 day forecast isn't looking too promising. But that can always change. We should try to post some pics of our first finds of the year.

nate...been trying to get ahold of you! does your phone not get reception up in ND?

Someone please make the warmer temp arrive, I would really enjoy a fresh meal. smile.gif

For sure guys! Although, a real warm streak with all the moisture means a bumper crop. I can wait if thats the case!!!!!

This is what we found last year turkey hunting late April.

They were all in a small area by a dead elm.They were my biggest find thus far. Will be making a few trips just for morels this year.

turkeyhunt2006001ri1.jpg

Nice find Nymph! Do you happen to remember the date when you found those last year? Also, what part of the state did you find them?

I found them the last week in April around the Rochester area. This was a little late for this bunch as some of them were deteriorating already and were not picked.

Looks like yellows which usually start a little later than the grays. If you look back, there are several threads from last year which may give you clue as to go time for shrooms. Watch the lilacs for blooming! Good luck!