• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Equipment Sales

steeplechaser2

Borsch,

I'm looking to buy some of the 2" Power Minnows in town...any ideas....I could also get a few more rods for hardwater....any big sales happening? Is Sportsman's closed?

Quote:

Borsch,

I'm looking to buy some of the 2" Power Minnows in town

Fleet Farm has them. wink.gif

They also have Berkley Lightning Rods for $14.99.

Sale ends today, tho. blush.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I left a response for you in the URL forum. But like Skeets said Fleet has the 10 pack plus 2 jigheads. Sportsmans Warehouse and Scheels have the 12 packs of bodies. Gander have a few too last time I was in but have very limited color selection.

I was fishing them on a Thorne Bros Perch rod but any med action rod with a fairly light tip will due. I've also been fishing with 6lb mono or Fireline Crystal ice.

Good Luck in your search. I was hoping to makle a day trip today but couldn't find someone to go with last minute. Maybe I'll make it up for a day or fishing next Saturday. So today I'm cleaning house and working on making a few turkey slate calls. laugh.gif

Go down to the Berkley store in Iowa. Was down there a couple of weeks ago and bought several packs of power minnows for $1.93 per pack of 10! What a store. I bought over $400 worth of tackle and paid $117 for it. Well worth the drive.

Thanks for the post, Borsch....we hooked up with several packs at Sportsmans...along with some very reasonable rods....we've managed some comical breaking incidents this year...tooo few on fisH! A few of us are hoping to tempt the crappies on URL over our spring break....hoping for a real cold snap.... grin.gifgrin.gif

Have you had much luck with the power minnows open water walleye fishing? I've always used live rigs or stick baits....thanks for the speedy posts!

I've not targeted eyes with them open water. Although given the success I've had on eyes with other plastics both open and hard water I'll be giving them a try this year.

Good Luck when you make it up. I'm hoping that I can still make one more trip up there this comming weekend if I get enough of my "Honey Do" items completed at home. Although, since my honey would likely be coming up with me I'll stand a little better chance of making it up. wink.gif

borch, i have a couple thorne bros. sunfish rods with there spring bobbers, they sure are some mighty fine rods arent they.

Yes they are great rods. Although no spring bobber needed for those URL slabs. I even had one rise 4 ft to hit my bait so fast that he pushed it an additional three feet up. I had the rod held high over my head and was standing on my tippy toes trying to reel and keep tension on it. When I landed it the slab had that 2" power minnow so far down it's throat I had to get the forseps out to remove it.

My wife gave my new Scotty's Custom Rods deadstick a workout that weekend. It also sports a Thorne Bros deadstick blank. Very nice.

Good Times. smirk.gif

ya need that spring bobber for those really finnicky sunfish in the dead of winter. even needed them this past weekend up by deer river.

Quote:

ya need that spring bobber for those really finnicky sunfish in the dead of winter. even needed them this past weekend up by deer river.

Yah I know. I had one on my Sweet Thing Thorne Bros rod most of the winter. They are essential when the bite is light.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.