• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
PerchPounder

243 win. Vs. .257 Roberts

PerchPounder

There is a hardware store getting rid of much of the sporting goods that they used to stock. they have both of the guns in stock and in the same model ruger m70 and the same price of $489. I have been looking at buying a .243 for awhile now and have never really looked into the .257. I am just wondering how good of a deal are these guns and how readily available is ammo for the .257 I am planning on using this gun for both coyotes and deer. I know that the .243 ammo can be found at almost any store that sells ammo for a fairly reasonable price but i dont recall seeing much for the .257?

klecker

The 257 may be hard to find in smaller stores but the larger stores carry them. I do know that ruger will no longer be making the m70. They have a new version coming out with and adjustable trigger like savages accutrigger. My Dad just bought a ruger m70 with a stainless barrel composite for under 450 at sportsmans warehouse. Very nice rifle!! They as well are clearing out the m70's for the new ones soon to be out. Hope this helps

Klecker

Whoaru99

Dunno about the price, but I'd tend to go with a .243 just because of the ammo availability.

A VERY quick check of ballistics seems to indicate that the .243 is superior in ballistics too.

dogs

243 is a lot easier to get ammo for. Have a 257

Roberts that I hand load for in a ruger now and it does not shoot well; been playing with it for a couple of years. If you like the idea of a 257 Roberts look at the 25-06. My 2 cents.

slotlimit

I have a Remington 243 and I can't say enough good things about it. For yotes I use a Hornaday 58 grain $15-$20. It's a little spendy for praire dogs but it is fun to watch.

Powerstroke

My dad has a .257 Roberts and it has been awesome ever since he bought it. He found it used and has never had a problem. He's taken many deer with it. I can't speak to the balistics because we hunt in wooded areas where the shots never surpass 50yds.

S.D. Ice Angular

Hey PearchPounder

I used to live in SF what store are you speakin of Nyberg’s??

I have shot both calibers often, I have shot a .243 for 18+ years I had a 257 Roberts for 6 years but was offered a great price by a dealer who new well it would shoot so I let it go. I have only used my .243 for small game and varmints and a whole lot of challenge shooting. The 257 has a bit more bark behind it, but no big deal.

As everyone else has mentioned the 257 is much tougher to find ammo for, IF you buy your ammo. Otherwise Scheels, Sportsman Warehouse, and Gary’s would all have them in many different selections.

I personally shoot my own hand loads then you have no problems of ammo and it makes it that much more fun.

Price wise I don’t think for a Firearm on its way out of production, it is that good of deal.

Just my $0.02's worth.

Lat me know how it goes...

PerchPounder

You are correct the Nybergs on 12th and Kiwanis is selling all of their guns out along with alot of their other sporting goods. I have taken advantage of many of their deals but this is one that I have mulling over for a couple of weeks. mostly because now I have the money after getting my taxes back. I have been watching Scheels pretty close but Sportsman's Warehouse always wants to sell me a Browning and i'm not really all that interested in buying a Chinese made american rifle. The reason i'm looking is because the ammo for my .284 is extremely hard to find and very expensive when you do find it. Have you had good luck working with Gary's or any other small dealers of pawn shops in town? I haven't been there for awhile but the last time I was there I wasn't very pleased with the service.