• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

243 win. Vs. .257 Roberts

PerchPounder

There is a hardware store getting rid of much of the sporting goods that they used to stock. they have both of the guns in stock and in the same model ruger m70 and the same price of $489. I have been looking at buying a .243 for awhile now and have never really looked into the .257. I am just wondering how good of a deal are these guns and how readily available is ammo for the .257 I am planning on using this gun for both coyotes and deer. I know that the .243 ammo can be found at almost any store that sells ammo for a fairly reasonable price but i dont recall seeing much for the .257?

The 257 may be hard to find in smaller stores but the larger stores carry them. I do know that ruger will no longer be making the m70. They have a new version coming out with and adjustable trigger like savages accutrigger. My Dad just bought a ruger m70 with a stainless barrel composite for under 450 at sportsmans warehouse. Very nice rifle!! They as well are clearing out the m70's for the new ones soon to be out. Hope this helps

Klecker

Dunno about the price, but I'd tend to go with a .243 just because of the ammo availability.

A VERY quick check of ballistics seems to indicate that the .243 is superior in ballistics too.

243 is a lot easier to get ammo for. Have a 257

Roberts that I hand load for in a ruger now and it does not shoot well; been playing with it for a couple of years. If you like the idea of a 257 Roberts look at the 25-06. My 2 cents.

I have a Remington 243 and I can't say enough good things about it. For yotes I use a Hornaday 58 grain $15-$20. It's a little spendy for praire dogs but it is fun to watch.

My dad has a .257 Roberts and it has been awesome ever since he bought it. He found it used and has never had a problem. He's taken many deer with it. I can't speak to the balistics because we hunt in wooded areas where the shots never surpass 50yds.

Hey PearchPounder

I used to live in SF what store are you speakin of Nyberg’s??

I have shot both calibers often, I have shot a .243 for 18+ years I had a 257 Roberts for 6 years but was offered a great price by a dealer who new well it would shoot so I let it go. I have only used my .243 for small game and varmints and a whole lot of challenge shooting. The 257 has a bit more bark behind it, but no big deal.

As everyone else has mentioned the 257 is much tougher to find ammo for, IF you buy your ammo. Otherwise Scheels, Sportsman Warehouse, and Gary’s would all have them in many different selections.

I personally shoot my own hand loads then you have no problems of ammo and it makes it that much more fun.

Price wise I don’t think for a Firearm on its way out of production, it is that good of deal.

Just my $0.02's worth.

Lat me know how it goes...

You are correct the Nybergs on 12th and Kiwanis is selling all of their guns out along with alot of their other sporting goods. I have taken advantage of many of their deals but this is one that I have mulling over for a couple of weeks. mostly because now I have the money after getting my taxes back. I have been watching Scheels pretty close but Sportsman's Warehouse always wants to sell me a Browning and i'm not really all that interested in buying a Chinese made american rifle. The reason i'm looking is because the ammo for my .284 is extremely hard to find and very expensive when you do find it. Have you had good luck working with Gary's or any other small dealers of pawn shops in town? I haven't been there for awhile but the last time I was there I wasn't very pleased with the service.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.