• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bloodworms

!wall-i-king

Hey guys I am going to be up in a couple days and got to wondering if the perch are keying in on bloodworms(spitting them up) or if they are relating to some other form of forage. Also when they are keying in on the midge larva what do you find is the best presentation to imitate them? I was thinking that a red shrimpo or ratso might be the best thing but I am just curious to see what you all think.

when they were barfing up midge or mayfly looking larvae:

we caught them on small genz worms and waxies

last year when many I caught were barfing up tons of bloodworms:

we caught them on genz worms and waxies...

I've don't use my shrimpos and ratsos because they are almost too light and without weighting them they take too long to drop to the depths. The Genz worms drop quick so you can get back down to the active school on the camera before they streak(hopefully). One thing thats helped my success is to tempt the perch by just head hooking the wax worm so it dangles horizontally behind the jig. Then WHAMMO...

Its also not a bad idea when using such small baits to have something bigger down there for eye candy to lure the active roaming schools over under your house ie: crappie minnows back hooked on a small spoon, fish shaped camera, spearing decoys periodically tugged, etc. Just remember, keep mobile and drill holes until you locate schools of perch, then I like to plop down with my camera and finesse them into the bucket...

another idea that you can use to counter the weight issue is to use a dropper rig with about a 12" leader running from the bottom of the spoon to the hook or by using a couple of little bb split shot about a foot above the jig. It will ad weight and in the case of the spoon attraction. Also the little split shot won't spook them. So just keep that in mind the next time the perch get really finicky and you have to downsize even more

I'm not completely sure if I am thinking of the same thing as you guys but I believe the small pale white larva that these perch re-digest are called helabites or something like this. If I understand correctly these hatch when exposed to sunlight through the ice. We found lots of these earlier in the year in our usual late season spots due to the lack of snow cover on the ice and jumbo perch action followed. When we find perch that are digesting half eaten dead larva we drill holes in the similar area until we find some that are still alive after being reeled up spit out and normally when you find this the heavy action follows. I’m not a biologist by any means but have heard this from very reliable fishing partners that fish perch all year round. Try deep water out in the basin.

Quick question. I was wondering what the snow depth off the roads on the east side was after a couple days of fifty degree weather? Was going to come up early this week and was hoping I wouldn't have to bring the sled but well have to see I guess.

I'm almost positive that blood worms are about as big around as a needle, and about 3/4's of an inch long. In a fishes stomach, a pile a blood worms look like a ball of mud and if a fish were to regurgitate them, it would look like mud and you would have a hard time seperating them to see individual blood worms. They also can be clear, white, red, green, rust, etc. Just some info on the blood worm (midge larvae) as they are a favorite food of the crappie's I love to chase.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.