• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just a quick report from my outing today before I head to St. Paul. smirk.gif Go Grand Rapids!

Started fishing ~6:15 am this morning in 14' of water on the inside corner of a hard sand transition area. The crappies were loaded up in there, ranging from 7 - 12". A white Ratso tipped with red spikes was the ticket. For the better part of 30 minutes, it was as fast as you could get it down there. But, as soon as the sun came up they vanished and it was time to move. I continued to work the general area only a touch deeper and I started getting bit by some bluegills but they were all small. So, I made a significant move down the lake to a large, but sharp underwater point in 23 - 25' of water. Again, quite a few bluegills that were small and some 7 - 9" crappies that were riding well up in the water column. I decided to make one last move towards some structure that included both rock and ample weed cover. The perimeter of this structure turned out to be holding a lot of fish. This was an area that made for great multi-species action. In 18 - 20' of water, I found 'gills, crappies and perch, all of which were quality with some sorting. A couple things that were necessary in this area was to stay very mobile and to keep slush in your hole. Also, I noticed that when the bigger 'gills were suspended, the perch were underneath them on the bottom and when the 'gills were on the bottom, the crappies were suspended and a perch could not be found. Interesting sequence of events but at any rate, the fish were there to be caught. As for the ice conditions, it's a bit sloppy but there is plenty of ice. 20 - 24" everywhere I drilled and I moved around with my truck with very little trouble.

I'll be back at it tomorrow mid-morning into the late afternoon and evening, depending on the outcome of tonight's game. If GR wins tonight, I'll have to cut my trip a little short tomorrow. smirk.gif I'll also be out and about on Sunday but not until late afternoon more than likely. I know I said this once already but come on Grand Rapids. Can you tell it's my home town?

Good luck and we'll see you on the ice!

hi i was the guy with the ranger pick-up that parked and walked down the lake did very well on the perch a lot of 7-9 in olso about 15 from 10-12 in released no time to clean them today i sent some of the guys you fished with down there i had it to myself for the last 2 weeks time to let someone else have some fun

T.O I'm heading out on Sun mid morning, I'm going to hook up with hawkeye sometime so maybe I will see you out there

Thanks for the tip. I may or may not check it out but it's nice that you let me know. You could have flagged me down and I could have given you a ride. smirk.gif

Have to cut the trip short today. It's back to St. Paul tonight. grin.gif I'll be out there today from ~9:30 am until 2:30 pm and then Sunday, my arrival will be probably 2:00 - 3:00 pm depending on how long the "honey-do" list gets between now and then. smirk.gif

Leave a few for Dennis and me, can;t get there today or sunday, Monday is my day. wink.gif Too bad Matt isn;t around to take pictures.

where would you start out the morning and kind of bait thanks for the info I will be leaving around 2:00 or 3:00 so I hope to see you out there.

I left plenty for you. Actually, it required a little more searching today but we still got into 'em. Perch was the main focus but we go into the 'gills early on. The fish had moved to deeper water maybe due to the less cloud cover.

I've been mainly using euro-larvae and/or red spikes. Yesterday the fish were in 18 - 20' and today they were in 24 - 28'. I would start over sand and then move to mud as the sun rises. We had schools of perch coming through this afternoon 6' off the bottom and they were the nicer fish. The feed bag is beginning.

I'll try to get out by Noon or so tomorrow but I can't promise anything. There is also an outside chance I may be going to Red Wing tomorrow, so my plans are up in the air.

Go Grand Rapids! I'm off to St. Paul. grin.gif

Either way, North ruled but the extreme North cashed in on a poor effort from Grand Rapids last night. Oh well, GR had a nice run and Roseau had a nice club this year, so it's all good. A lot of teams just wish they would have been there. smirk.gif

Anytime kids are one of the last 2 or 4 teams that are left playing in any sport this late in the season, there is no reason to be ashame of anything. Everyone has a bad day. You don't know if there are injuries, sickness, a bad day or a case of the nerves, its all goes with the game. Yes you to need to play your A-game or it could be all over, but there can only be one winner. You do your best, thats all anyone can ask. Win or lose, at least they were there playing.

Rams,Rams,Rams. Yes, Roseau. smile.gif

I really wanted to see the Rams take care of the Edina dudes.

I didn't know you were a Ram fan. Good for you. They really put a nice club together this year. Definitely deserving of the title. As for the Edina dudes, GR took care of them in Round 1. grin.gif