• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shot selection

Rebels75

Ok, this is the first time I've had a permit drawn for turkey season and we're going down to Caledonia in April. Can a person use lead shot anywhere they hunt, state or private land? Is it better to use Hevi-shot? I know shot can't be any bigger than 4's. If you can't tell, I'm really excited about this new experience and welcome any info. Thanks laugh.gif

I'm not sure about the regulations as they pertain to turkey hunting with non-tox shot. Reason would suggest using a non-tox shot if hunting public land near waterway areas, but I'm not certain. Anyone else here?

As for what type/size shot to use, I think you'll get alot of different opinions out there. My guess is that these are because of:

-different performance of different shot in different guns with different chokes

-differing opinions as to how much "killing-power" one needs to kill a turkey at range

While there's alot of differences noted above, one thing that stays the same is that a good pattern trumps all. I typically see my best patterns with size #6 hevi-type shots. I have confidence in the ballistics and downrange killing power of hevi over lead, though I've killed many birds with the old copperplated-lead as well.

The thing that sells me with smaller shot sizes is that you have that many more pellets out there. IMO, an even-spread with as many pellets possible while still having enough energy downrange to pack a punch, is key in consistently killing these birds.

There is a strong misconception out there, that you need #4's to kill a bird past 30 yards. This is fueled by stories of monster gobblers people have rolled over the years, only to see them turn into a hurried speck on the horizon. These birds are tough, no doubt, and a #4 peice of shot hits harder than a #6. However, I'll take 15 #6's in the spine/brain area of a turkey over 5 #4's everytime. In other words, I put more stress on the number of pellets in the vitals, vs. size of pellets in the vitals.

I know folks who can't get #6's to pattern well in anything they shoot, so it's critical to pattern your gun to see what works best for you. Know your max. range, and never shoot at a bird past it. This gives you the confidence in knowing that the bird will go down as long as you line up the sights correctly.

Joel

Thanks for the info. I've hunted for close to 40 years but this is my first hunt for turkey and I appreciate any info I get.

I'm a heavy #6 myself. I also prefer to have more pellets than larger ones. Not because I don't pattern well, but I like my odds better. I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.