• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Campsite recommendation

Can anyone recommend an area to set up camp on one of the NPS campsites this spring/summer? I know that is hard to do because there are literally hundreds of them, but I would like to be in a protected bay of some sort and in an area that is somewhat close to good walleye trolling areas. Also, are 30+ inch walleyes at least somewhat common on Rainy if you have somewhat of a clue how to fish or are they a pretty rare occurence? I will be coming up in Late June or early July for my first trip to Rainy and I don't want it to be a disaster!! Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

Catching 30" walleyes is not a common occurence on Rainy but they are there. I don't know where 30" is common. There are lot of eyes in the 20-28" range. If you have a choice I would recommend early July simply because there's a greater chance of stable weather. Hopefully the G Man will jump on to provide additional input. He knows the campsites better than anyone.

HI GOGGLE,

IF YOUR GIRLFRIEND SAYS YOU FISH TO MUCH, I'D FIND A NEW GIRL. IF YOU MARRY HER & THINKS YOU FISH TO MUCH NOW, YOU MIGHT AS SELL YOUR FISHING STUFF., I HAVE BEEN MARRIED 29 YEARS., NEVER ONCE HAS MY WIFE SAID I FISH TO MUCH., SHE MAY THINK IT, BUT UNDERSTANDS THAT ITS WHAT I ENJOY.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT COME ON A FRIDAY OR SATURDAY, AS THE BEST CAMPSITES WILL BE GONE, IDEALLY MONDAY IS BEST. AS FOR 30" WALLEYES, THERE ARE VERY COMMON, JUST CATCHING THEM IS NOT. THERE HAS BEEN 5 WALLEYES OVER 10 LBS. CAUGHT THIS WINTER THAT I KNOW OF. I BELIEVE RAINY IS SO FULL OF WALLEYES THAT THOSE 30 INCHERS JUST DON'T HAVE AS MUCH CHANCE TO BITE., SO IF YOUR COMING TO RAINY BEACUSE YOU KNOW YOUR GOING TO GET A 30 INCHER, YOU MAY BE DISSAPOINTED,

IF YOU GET STABLE WEATHER, KNOW HOW TO FISH RAINY, YOU CAN HAVE 50 TO 200 WALLEYES DAYS. MANY TOURISTS COME HERE & DO NOT CATCH A WALLEYE, AS THEY THINK THEY CAN TROLL AROUND THE SHORELINES & FILL THE BOAT... WRONG, RAINY IS A COMPLEX FISHERY & THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT THEIR DOING., CAN DO EXCEPTIONALLY WELL. A GOOD START IS A GOOD SET OF THE FULL SIZE NOAA MAPS, A GUIDE, A G.P.S., A GOOD GRAPH, A GOOD 30LB. ANCHOR, A 120 FOOT ROPE, A SET OF MARKERS AND IF YOU HAVE THE RAINY CHIP...BRING IT.

SINCERLY,

FISHMEISTER

Thanks for the detailed info guys. I am definitely not expecting to land a 30 incher, because I know no matter where you are, that's not an easy thing to do. I just like to know that there are big fish out there that can be caught. I don't know much about the fishery and if it is in good shape at this time period. I am assuming it is after reading some of your replies about big fish being caught and numbers of fish. I will most likely be coming up on a wednesday and staying for about six days. I'll be prepared with the equipment you mentioned...thanks much for the help! Are there any Rainy Lake Standards to live by....colors, lures, presentations, etc.??

Thanks, GoggleEye

As far as Rainy standards for the time you are planning on coming up, lindy rigs or jigs with shiners are probably going to be your best bet. You may also want to bring some reef-runners and other crankbaits if you plan to troll. You can never go wrong with any bright color, but some days natural colors will outperform. A lot is going to depend on the weather. As long as you keep checking throughout the summer, you'll know what will be working.

As far as good campsites, you are right that there are plenty. But as Fishmeister said, just because there's a lot doesn't mean there will be open ones. If you plan on coming up on a Wed. I would think you'd have some pretty good choices. There are many good sights in Saginaw, along with Kawawia, Big Island, Blueberry, Virgin Island, etc. on the eastern end of the lake that are all protected and literally minutes from excellent fishing. Do some research or grab a map from the park's Visitor Center when you come up to see exactly where these sites are located.

Unless things change, you are going to want to be very careful about rocks. The water level is still very low and there's going to be new ones that aren't normally a problem. As fishmeister also said, get a hold of a quality set of maps and a chip with Rainy if you can. You will find them both priceless. Hope this helps, keep picking our brains as the trip gets closer.

Take a look at the Voyageurs NP website at http://www.nps.gov/voya/

It's not easy to find but they also have a campsite map at

http://www.nps.gov/voya/planyourvisit/upload/campMap2005pg1.pdf

Personally I'd look for a campground in the Lost Bay area. You're basically in the center of the lake there.

Thanks a lot guys for all your help. I will keep picking your brains periodically as to what is going on up there with the fishing and quite a bit in June as it nears my trip date. Have a safe and enjoyable rest of your ice season and good luck to you in the start of your open water season.

GoggleEye