• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Currency Exchange??

Hey everybody,

I am heading up to Ontario in 2 weeks- Can anybody tell me of a good place to exchange American currency for Canadian in International Falls?? I will probably be rolling through there at night (6-8 pm).

Thanks for the help!!

Justin

I have at Wells Fargo in the Falls recently and would imagine you can at any bank here but if you're coming through 6-8 pm.....?? Maybe Fishmeister will jump in tonight and offer a suggestion.

Have you tried a bank in Ely? I would imagine they get a request like that occasionally.

HI JUSTIN,

AS UFFDA SAID, JUST EXCHANGE IN ELY. MOST PEOPLE EXCHANGE THEIR MONEY AT BLUE WATER CURRENCY, WHICH IS IN THE TOURIST INFO CENTER JUST AS YOU CROSS THE BORDER, HOWEVER IT WILL BE CLOSED WHEN YOU COME THRU, SO JUST EXCHANGE AT YOUR LOCAL BANK. THE EXCHANGE IS NOT THAT GREAT RIGHT NOW ANYWAY.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

If you have a credit card, VISA etc. recommend you use it. Most places will accept it, bait shops etc, and you automatically get a fair exchange rate. Use cash only for small purchases where they won't take a card.

HI,

EXPECT TO PAY A 2 TO 4 DOLLAR FEE WHEN USING A DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

JCR,

I don't know what bait shops that you've been in that take credit cards but the Bait shop in Rainy River Ontario will not allow you to purchase a Canadian Fishing License with a Credit card. Cash only. Prepare to bend over and grab your ankles.

Thank you very much for the help, guys! I already have my Canadian fishing license, so that won't be an issue. I guess I will stop by the bank this afternoon and I will use my visa card when I go out to eat up there.

Thanks again for the help!

Justin

Out of curiosity I checked my financial statements over the past few years, and you do pay a 2% (foreign exchange fee) on credit cards in Canada. However you also would pay an exchange fee when you exchange money, don't know which is higher. Yes, I have used the card at bait stores such as Great Bear, and Rainy Lake Sports, not to buy a license however.

Hey guys,

I have a cabin in Canada and go up there quite a bit at odd hours of the day or night. I have found it easier to just use my ATM card to pull out some cash once I get to Canada. That way I get the current excahnge rate. I used to get some cash at a bank in the Falls until one of the tellers suggested that I do it this way to get a better rate.

For what its worth.

-Duckster

Thanks again for the replies!! I guess I never knew that you could use your regular credit card up there-That helps alot! I did check at my local bank here in Ely and they said it would be no problem to exchange whatever I want, so that is nice!

Thanks again,

Justin