• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 LB Propane tank problem

The_Duckslayer

Question

I have a 3LB tank that I use for my Mr Buddy heater. Well I got it filled yesterday. The guy turned on the pump and it put about a gallon of propane in the tank and then the pump abruptly stopped. Would that be the OPD kicking in? Today I can not get my buddy heater to light so I disconnected the hose from the tank and opened the valve. As I recall there should be gas running out of there like mad correct? Not on this one... nothing... notta! Could the guy have screwed up the tank because of the way that he filled it or do I have some other problem? Looking for advice before I take the thing back down there and get all in their case about it. Thanks! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

10 answers to this question

IF I remember right the newer tanks will not allow gas and air out unless you push the stem in, kinda like a tire on your truck. Again like everyeone else has been having problems with is that they have a new tank, either dont tell the person filling, or the person fililng doesnt care, and they never have the tank purged of the gas that was in it. I would assume this, but cannot be for-sure, you only know if its a new tank, and the gas experts (he he Gas Expert! grin.gif) can tell if it has been purged.

ShawnnyB

3lb ? Are you sure its not a 5lb?

The valves do not let the propane out without a hose connected.

Which hose are you using? Are you sure you have all the air out of the hose. If your udsing the unregulated hose are you sure your not tripping the EFD (excessive flow device).

I am not aware of any problems after tripping the OPD. I just filled my 11lb Friday and it tripped. it worked fine Sat. morning. A good quantity of tanks I fill trip before the scale tips. I'm sure I would be hearing a lot of complaints if this was the case.

Actually it is a 4.25LB tank, or so says the box that it came in. I don't know why I thought that it was a 3 pounder?

I am using the Mr Heater hose with the regulator on it. I have gone through 1 tank of propane already so there should not be any air oin the lines and I am pretty sure that the guy purged it correctly on the first fill.

I did not know about the "valve stem" in the new tanks. I know that on the old ones they would scream propane out like there was no tomorrow.

I went out in the garage again and played with it some more last night and it seems that I have a Mr Heater problem. It will not work off the tank and it will not work when I connect two one pounders to it either. Guess I will be heading to Cabelas later today to swap out that heater!

And by the way, how much are the 1LB cans any more? My son picked one up at the gas station in Shieldsville and they charged him over 8 bucks for it! WOW! I did not think that they were near that high! I feel good now that I got the big tank filled for 8 bucks! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Unfortuneately it does sound like the heater has failed.

I have seen the 1lbs anywhere from $1.75 to $2.49. At $8 there either out of there mind or there kids need braces!

well the 1.5 pound disposables run from 2.49 to about 3.99 i know we have them at 399 but it is a convienence store. if you watch the ads you can pick up 6 packs before the start of the season for about 2.25 a tank. as far as your tank locking up yes you can trip the opd to a point where it will lock up. we have just started to fill tanks at the place i run and you have to bleed off some of the pressure. i did notice that you said it was a new tank. and you did say it was purged. i know this is important. and we will be set up to purge i hope by the end of this week. as far as bleeding off some propane i would suggest you have someone in the know. to do this for you. due to the volitility of the gas. its nothing to paly with as i am sure you would know. i do also know that there are two types of hoses you can use when you want to use a bigger lp cylinder than the 1.5 the units were designed for, one will not work as it is non regulated. ... paul

Ayup... the heater went south! Got a new one at Cabelas today and both the 1Lb and 4.5Lb tank work great on it! Airjer, how big is that bass in your avtar? I was at Mazaska today and caught a 2.75 pound largemouth! That was fun on a panfish setup! Then I caught a whole bunch of them that were in the 5 inch range! Did that famous run n gun today since it was so nice out! Drilled about 40 holes and caught 2 small crappies for all my efforts. Oh well, it still beat the heck out of a day at work! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I talked to my propane guy at Ferrelgas Yesterday. Tripping an OPD will not cause the flow of propane to stop comming out it will only stop the flow going in. If you suspect that there is no propane coming out of the tank than the likely cause is the Excessive flow valve. This valve will trip if it sees a sudden rush of propane out of the tank. After filling a tank and reconnecting the hose the valve on the tank should be opened slowly for the first couple of turns. If you do suspect the EFV has tripped turn the valve of and wait for 30 - 45 seconds. Then slowly open the valve.

Once a tank has been purged there should be no reason to "vent" the tank (with normal use).

Duck, that is the biggest bucket mouth I have ever caught. The dipper stops at 16 which is for or five inches below the chisel end. I'm guessing 19" - 20". Pulled it in on a Thorne Bros. panfish sweethart, 2lb crystal, green glow rat finkey, and a waxie. Also pulled in a 24 1/4" pike on the same setup. I can catch anything on a waxie!!!!

oooops i musta misunderstood what my gas guy said. oh well i guess i have made my one mistake for the year hehehehh dang now i gotta be perfect for the rest of the year. lol. ... paul

Quote:

Duck, that is the biggest bucket mouth I have ever caught. The dipper stops at 16 which is for or five inches below the chisel end. I'm guessing 19" - 20". Pulled it in on a Thorne Bros. panfish sweethart, 2lb crystal, green glow rat finkey, and a waxie. Also pulled in a 24 1/4" pike on the same setup.
I can catch anything on a waxie!!!!

I caught mine on a waxie as well. I think that it was in the neighborhood of 17-18 inches though. Man, is sure was fun trying to get it reeled in with that ultralight tackle! Finess I think they call that. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

A 5 lb tank only hold about 1 gallon of propane. 1 20 lb will hold a little over 4 gallons.

When you fill the tank it should be level also, or you will risk overfilling or underfilling the tank. The overfill protection device is a float that blocks the tank from filling once it reaches the 80% level...the same level that causes liquid to come out the "spitter", AKA fixed level indicator on the older tanks.