• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Indy water

wmn luv me walleye fearme

has the water started to clear up on independence at all? havent been out there in over a week in my permanent. Once the water turned over about 2 weeks ago the bite kind of shut down for me. Also anyone else here anything about a sewage spill from baker park in the summer. Heard about it from the guy at the bait shop and one of my neighbors in the ice city but he said it happens all the time. (not real happy i've eaten about 30 crappies out of there this year but to late for that now i guess)

Thanks

As long as the sewage spill is not large and continuous, the lake, like almost all lakes, is capable of degrading/eliminating wastes like this in a "short" period of time (~a week or month). Like all outside fertile inputs though, it contributes to the overall decline in water quality.

what worrys me is that supposedly there was a break in the sewage line that was running into indy for 3 weeks before they noticed. Not sure I believe it or not but never have seen the water this green/brown with huge green pieces of algae in it for the 5 years i've been ice fishing it so who knows.

The huge green pieces of algae have shown up for at least the past couple of years out there. If not longer. I have heard many ideas as to what it is from. Some say it is once the weeds finally die, like this year it happened once the ice was thick enough and we got some snow. I don't know why it happens.

As far as the sewage spill, I know this has happened before out there. Not sure if what you heard is refering to that time or if it happened again. But I still eat fish out of there and they tast like... fish.

On a different note, have you been getting fish out there lately. I fish there every weekend and have been concentrating on Walleye. They have slowed for us considerably and it's time to move to a crappie hole. Any suggestions?

have fished crappies all winter. I've been on the outside of the major city. Did really well until a couple weeks ago when the water clouded up. Bite changed from dusk/night into a day bite and i have a hard time getting out there during the day usually. Was thinking about moving to a walleye spot but sounding like a bad idea now.

Walleye bite has died for me as well ( I pull all nighters out there). I was going to either move to look for crappies or move to a different lake.

I tried it Independence last week, hit 4 areas of the lake, couldn't mark any fish on the flasher. So far, it's the cloudiest, greenest lake I found and if you use very light tackle it seemed to take a while to get the lure down because of all the green algae. Everyone else out there was moving trying different spots, so I don't think much was biting.

I gave up and moved onto another lake.

I caught 1 11" perch out there and that was the extent of it. I didn't realizee the water had gotten so bad, but I don't have a camera and that lake is usually pretty dirty anyway.

I noticed that the lake is always green. I think the greeness of the lake has to do with the fertilizers being used in the shores from the lake front property owners. Too much phosphorus makes crazy algae bloom.

I will also confirm that the walleye bite slowed down consideribly. Moved shack off today.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      thats great to hear regarding the lake levels!!!!!!
    • Kettle
      On an off light precipitation today. Hoping the weather this weekend will be nice so I can get out and crappie fish and check the weather. My yard has standing water and the driveway is a mess. Lot of lakes are near standard water levels which is good. Heard they are done stripping eggs on cut foot. Shaping up to be a good opener. Last year fished open water 60+ days and 28 different lakes. Hopefully bump both those numbers up this year
    • rundrave
      I don't think its 100% accurate, you are just relying on other average joes to report precipitation. But I think most numbers there are right in the ball park, especially when you see consistency among multiple reports in a general area.   It's probably more accurate than what the weather terrorists say on the news  which usually only reports metro areas. cocorahs is good for getting rural area reports you just might not have as many reports to go off of
    • smurfy
      i like this site!!!!!  👍 thanks rundave......its in my favorites!!!!!!
    • leech~~
      Thanks Mike.  I've been looking at bags of it for years but never wanted to chance wasting good meat on it.  I have a gas and charcoal grills, but really love the flavor of charcoal over gas. Most of the time it's if we have time to use one or the other.  
    • leech~~
      Facebook?  
    • rundrave
      Leech is missed
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big open water, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  The bays and tributaries of LOW such as Zippel Bay, Bostic Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  The lake is in good shape for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. The many bays and backwaters of the lake have been receiving attention from spring pike anglers.  Some pike have already entered the bays, spawned and gone back out to the lake, but there are still a pile of fish to be had.   The pike season on LOW is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one fish allowed more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. On the Rainy River...  Another great week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  The bite has been very good and lots of fish of all sizes are being boated.     Sturgeon are being caught from Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River all the way to Birchdale, about 42 miles.  There are many boat ramps along the river to make life easy.  Starting from the east going west...   -Nelson Park at Birchdale (About 30 miles east of Baudette) -Frontier (9 miles west of Birchdale) -Vidas (Near Clementson Rapids) -Timbermill Park (East Baudette) -Peace Park (International Drive, Baudette) -Wheeler's Point (mouth of Rainy River)  The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle is ice free.  Resorts are gearing up for the fishing opener which is expected to be excellent.  The late ice bite was very good and the walleyes are in good numbers amongst the islands area of the NW Angle.  
    • smurfy
      oh you know where i mean..........where all your friends are!!!!!!!🤗
    • Mike89
      Charcoal Briquettes are great for low and slow cooking as they produce long-lasting heat. Lump Charcoal burns hotter and adds more flavour to your food; therefore is great for hot and fast cooking.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.