• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

June 14-16 on the pond

tunrda74

i know this is early but would like to start planning. we are staying at Fishers and would like some advise. are the eyes still going to be up on the sand or will they be moving out? i fish the west and north west side most of the time some any help on the north and east would be great. also, resturants and bars over there? ideas?

thanks

Opie

Alot depends on the Spring. You may find a few Walleyes on the deep Sand, but more than likely, they will be on the mud. and gravel. Long snells 7 - 8 foot snells. Plain red hook with a single bead, or spinners.

You can also do a search of fishing reports from June of last year. It will give you an idea but every year is different. The sand was very hot last year! wink.gif

LovenLifeGuy

Tundra 74,

My family was at Fishers that week last year and did EXTREMELY well on the mud throughout the week.Used the same setup as Rodmaker mentions.Fishers has there own restaurant and puts out an awesome breakfast.For dinner and drinks my wife and I headed to the north shore to the Carlsona Beach Club,can't beat it. I'll be up there the same week this year renting a cabin,look me up, blue Ford Supercrew and maroon Crestliner. Good luck.

The Mud will be the place to be.

There are multiple restaurants and bars in the area. It's probably best just to "google" all of them.

Tundra,

I always use the wind as my friend when fishing Lake Mille Lacs or any lake. Find out what way the wind is blowing and plan your attack on the wind blown side of the structure you want to fish. Whether its the rocks, mud flats,sand humps and points or gravel.

Everyone says; go to the flats, but I want to share with you that there is good fishing just about every structure during the month of June. Its all depending on the water temp and what they are feeding on at the time.

Here is an example, I had taken a group of friends out on a launch about 12 years ago (mid june) with Phil at Myr Mar Resort. The week before we took Phil's launch out, I was up and fished with a friend of mine (who is also a ver experienced fisherman)all week and just nailed the walleye for days. One day we caught 57 walleyes! We caught all our walleyes on crawler harness's with 8ft snell 's and Colorado Blades. We hammered the fish! It was better than any canada trip!

Then, I had to go back to the cities for work for a couple of days, and was back for the launch trip with my friends from Iowa that following weekend. We got on Phil's launch and there wasn't any crawlers! I asked Phil; where were the crawlers? He said they quit biting on crawlers. I couldn't believe it! I bit my lip and didn't say anything, but wanted too of course.

Well, needless to say, when we got to the spot we were going to fish, Phil throw me a fathead minnow and and said minnows are now what they are going on. As soon as my bottom bouncer hit bottom, I had a 20 incher. Phil then said I told you they are now hitting on minnows with a grin.

Thats when I learned that this lake can turn on a dime! And Phil and his brother are one of the best fisherman on the lake. There are a lot of guys who live day in and day out on Lake Mille Lacs that a person can learn a lot from. You just have to be a good student.

I learn something about Lake Mille Lacs all the time. Its the reason I think why everyone comes back so often and lures so many people from all over the world to come and fish it!

With no snow again so far this year and the water depth as shallow as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see a very good bite throughout the whole lake next year. We really need some snow here in March to help with our water situation up here and throughout the whole state for that matter.

Mother Nature are you reading this?

Keep in mind, there are a lot of great fishing spots other than the mud flats on Mille Lacs.

I hope this helps you out!

Fish On!!!

The Cranker!!

You are so correct!!!! I know though last year I got up every weekend starting Memorial Weekend and starting the 2nd week of June I was fishing the Mud 5 times in 10 days. I have never caught big fish like that before grin.gif Nothing over 27 3/4" but in that 10 day span, I caught and released 16 Eyes over 25". I wish I could figure how to Post Photos here.

We caught the fish on plain red hooks 7-8 ft snells , or spinners. Used leeches & crawlers. Caught and kept 3-4 fish to bring home if we wanted to each time.

Keep an open mind, but most importantly, be safe if the wind kicks up. I have an Alumacraft 185 compeditor, but at times, it's time to get off when the wind really kicks in.

Thinking about giving Cranks a shot on the Mud also this Summer.

If we don't get alot of snow/ rain before opener, how are the launches going to be this Spring?? I know it was getting pretty ugly from reading posts here last Fall.

Wow!! thanks guys!!! i am really looking forward to it. there is nothing better than getting good advise for all of you guys! will keep an eye out for you GFNER. i have a white Suburban with a Rapala sticker on the rear left.

thanks again!

Opie

Opie,

Barring any severe cold fronts, you should not have any problem getting walleyes during that time frame. Its my favorite time of the summer to fish Mille Lacs. I started fishing a north end mud flat the second weekend and never left that flat until the first week of july. I used Lindy rigs with leeches the first 2 weekends out, then switched to crawlers and spinners on bottom bouncers the rest of the time. We boated over 400 walleyes in 6 weeks. Most of them were too big to keep.

Like Cranker said, be ready for anything at that time. I'm not much for bobber fishing on the rocks so I normally head for the flats, wind or no wind. I use a drift sock to drifts the edges of the flats in the wind. Otherwise I use my bow mount to troll along them. Keep the bottom bouncer off the bottom and hold on! Watch your graph and you know when you're gonna get bit!

Fishers will know where the fish are when you get there!

Team Otter & The Cranker,

Do you think it really matters when drifting the mud as far a keeping sinkers/ bottom bouncers just off the bottom???

I usually drag "egg type" sinkers when drifting and keep them on the bottom and seem to do just fine. Maybe keeping the weight off the bottom would be a better presentation if there is no wind and your trolling???

Rodmaker

I don't like to disturb the bottom at all, so I do not drag. I am constantly touching bottom and then holding the weight ~6 - 12" off bottom.