• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SLABFEST!!!

CatManLee

I understand SlabFest is fast approaching? February 24th, on Upper Red Lake? I thought there was a post on this, but I can't seem to find it, just the post about lodging. Come on Chris, lets see that fancy poster you've got for this years event!!! grin.gif

I'm looking forward to it this year. I was there last year, but never made it over to the "official" get together area. It would be nice to meet some more fellow FM'rs and hopefuly round up some Crappie's too! It looks like we'll have good ice this year anyways...

I wanted to make sure it's still scheduled for the 24th, so I can get off work that weekend.

Talk to ya'll later...

CML,

It is still a go. Rendezvous point will again be Hansons shack out of Rogers. I'm sure Chris will post more details in the coming days.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

CML,

It is still a go. Rendezvous point will again be Hansons shack out of Rogers. I'm sure Chris will post more details in the coming days.

The Rendezvous point is a bit up in the air right now. Chris will post more details as we get closer but there are a few scouoting trips planned before now and then and we may move it closer to where the crappies are going to hopefully get people on a good bite.

But like Paul said details will be posted in the next week or so.

I'm being a little bit delinquent with details but I'll know much more after this weekend's trip. I haven't been up to Red in a month so I have to feel it out again. I'll be up there this weekend fishing and Borch & I will be up there next weekend fishing to try and find some "areas" that would be good to fish for the fest.

My gut is telling me we'll have a meeting place out of Hillman's Rd somewhere. Although my shack is at Rogers and I have no problem with people camping around me.

Stay tuned! The gathering is a go but it is definitely an "informal" gathering.

I'll be up there that weekend and may join in the festivities if it works out. I am coming up with a few of my friends and bringing my house and another wheel house. Maybe we'll se you guys there once we know more.

Quote:

...I'll know much more after this weekend's trip. I'll be up there this weekend fishing and Borch & I will be up there next weekend fishing to try and find some "areas" that would be good to fish for the fest.

My gut is telling me we'll have a meeting place out of Hillman's Rd somewhere. Although my shack is at Rogers and I have no problem with people camping around me.

Mr. Hanson, I certainly approve your program! I was up for last year's Slabfest, and my experience was the fishing along the North Shore seemed far better than along the South Shore... I always enjoy the friendly hospitality of the good folks at Roger's Campground, but if we're gonna be fishing I'd rather start off the Hillman Road, a few miles south of 'The Humps'...

A 'Portable Shelter City' somewhere in that area over the weekend would make for a memorable occasion, and with only a single road fee.

Good hunting, during the next two weekends, and I look forward to reading your final reports.

My objective is to definitely not have people paying 2 road fees again this year. I can blame that on Jonny-P I think. smile.gif But when Jon says his dad has got a spot that should have crappies, you have to go!

I'm also going to plan on being on the ice fishing much earlier this year too, probably noon if not 11am. With weather permitting, our little portable city can just move around and relay info to each other.

I will have my gas grill with so we'll be able to fish and eat & drink at the same time.

It'll be a good time for sure!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Chris,

I'll likely be out there even earlier than that trying to pinpoint location. I'll have my wife and maybe a couple of others along. We are used to putting in a pretty full day and have had good success thoughout the day in the past. I'll make sure the pack the 2 way radios along. I'm sure we'll have some general locations from the scouting trips before then.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      i cant help you with the weed thing, but i just came back form out that way......Regal, New London Hawick area. i dont no how big the swat of rain was but there is water standing everywhere. my buddy told me they had over 3 inches of rain yesterday/last night 
    • mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.