• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
kennyd

this weekend!

kennyd

so who will be hitting up the big pond this weekend??? i will be staying at nodaks from thursday to sunday..cant wait! always do well on this lake...where is a good night drinking establishment???good luck everyone! looks like it is going to be a cold one!

Minnetonka

Hi Kenny D. We will be at Nodaks this weekend as well. See you up there. I stopped at a little bar in Bena a few years ago, but I have no great suggestions on night time drinking spots.

baldav

Anyone have any thoughts on how the extreme cold is going to affect the fish this weekend? Would be interested in hearing some thoughts/ideas. Thanks in advance.

arctic_scrap1

The cold doesnt affect the fish, the water doesnt get any colder, if it did it would freeze. It's the barometric pressure that kills fishing.

UMDSportsman

Heading up this weekend we (my parents) have a place at nodak. My parents are heading up on wed, so hopefully they will find them during the week so we can hammer them on saturday and sunday.

I personally don't drink, but my whole family does, i have heard some not so good stories about the bar in bena, but never been there myself. Just west of nodak about a mile or two there is the big fish, bar/gril, been there, no complaints. Otherwise i heard, the gosh dam place has good food, again, never been there.

PerchJerker

We've been going to Nodak for years, late Feb or early March.

The absolute best fishing we ever had was also the year it was the coldest, the temp never got above 0 the whole time we were there, it was usually far below 0. It was so cold the augers barely ran. Our first spot on the first day was no good so after about an hour we made a move. At the second spot all 6 guys in the group limited out with true jumbos in about an hour, just fishing the two holes in each portable, not moving or hole-hopping at all. Went there the 2nd day and pulled 6 more limits in about an hour, each guy drilled 2 holes for his portable and we never moved. Same story for the 3rd day. Unbelievable, will probably never have anything close to that happen again. That was the year the limit was 20/day, 50/possession.

I believe the not-so-good stories about the bar in Bena. We buy booze there and usually have someone stay by the trucks/gear if it's dark and there's a crowd. We've had a few drinks there in late afternoon / early evening but never stuck around any longer than that.

There's a place called the Blueberry Bowl on Highway 6 just 1-2 miles north of Deer River, it's a 30 minute drive but a nice place. Good pizza there, I think the other food is good too. Another good option is the Crow Bar in Squaw lake, on Highway 46 and the county road on the south side of town. Good food and drinks, it's also a 30 minute drive but a good spot.

nate larson

Me and some friends will be staying in the Highbanks Hilton sleeper this weekend. I am hoping that the fishing stays good with this weather change. We probably won't be doing much moving around so I hope the ice house is in a good spot! Should be a good time. Does anyone have suggestions for bait? I am thinking fatheads for perch and walleyes and some sucker minnows for northerns.

ATM

6 of us are staying at Highbanks sunday and monday night, nate larson we are also staying in the hilton sleeper, save us some fish cool.gif. I dont think the cold weather will impact the fish, change in pressure as stated before will effect them much more. Adam

HIGHBANKS

We'll have the Hilton all set to go for you guys!! The fatheads are a good "all purpose" minnow. We carry those at the lodge if you should run low on supply. Good idea to pick up some sucker minnows for the northerns, the bite has been well. These you would want to pick up at the bait shop along the way (Ben's in Grand Rapids or Fred's in Deer River), you also may want to grab a few shiners while you are there. That little extra "sparkle" may be enough to entice some nice walleyes if they are being finicky. See you this weekend!!

nate larson

Thanks for the tips. ATM...we will be sure to leave the place in good shape for you. I just looked at the weather and they are saying a high of -2 on Saturday. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! I hope you guys have the heater on when we get there. HAHA smile.gif

kennyd

we have been lucky the past three years,,limit everyday even when it has been slow for most..so by the looks of it you can drive anywhere on the ice which is good,,can finally get back to my spots in the middle of nowhere!!-2,,ouch!! now that is cold!!!makes hopping from hole to hole pretty tough!! i was more looking for a good place to get a beer and food,,get really tired of a & w !!!!

Kenny

Bobberboy

kennyd,

The Gosh Dam place has good food and great cocktails. You can bring in your catch and they fry'em up for you. Tasty!

"Your bobbers down!"

nate larson

Do you just bring in the filets? Or do the actually clean the fish for you?

tcroz

I don't believe they will clean them for you. But they do an excellent job cooking them!

eazzye

Was up at highbanks this past weekend, can't tell you how nice and helpful they were. Did really good on green glo jigs with fat heads and jigging spoons with just head. Caught northerns on all of the above and some walleyes and perch on the spoons. Good Luck, you do have to sort through them for the big ones but they are still there to be caught.

Meaney

Yea, I will be staying in the Hilton too this weekend, with nate larson of course..

catching more fish of course!! smile.gif

kodiak97

Hey guys I know how it is, ya go out of town to catch some fish and then you go out afterwards. Caution, there are a lot of cops on the road, especially 46. Cop cut our weekend short. However we did get some nice perch on Big cut foot. Lots of worms in them... Got to move around.

Good luck

GDSC

No need to drive all the way up to Squaw Lake when the Gosh Dam Place is close and has excellent food.....and the drinks ain't bad either! They do not clean your fish for you but they do have a heated fish cleaning house if you don't have access to one. Clean your fish right there, hand the fillets to the cutest waitresses up north when you walk in and then sit back with a cocktail and relax while they prepare a feast of food for you - it doesn't get any better than that. Good luck fishing guys.

Bobberboy

Amen Brother!

flagsup

would shy away from bena bar at night anyhow,me an some friends hav been there its a good place for trouble,needless to say we dont go there at night anymore