• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

One tough duck

Heard a story on the new last night I figured someone would already have on here:

A hen ring-necked duck, who had been shot multiple times and thrown in a freezer for two days, was still alive when the wife of the hunter who shot her went into the freezer to get something. Apparently the duck lifted her head when the freezer door opened.

They took her to the vet and after undergoing surgery to repair her broken wing, bill, and a foot I think, she flatlined on the table. They pronounced her dead when all the sudden she regained herself and is now recovering.

I will put the official article on here if I can find one, but just thought I'd share. Personally I was glad they decided to save her, after going through all that she deserves to live grin.gif

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man’s wife “was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn’t been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,” said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. “She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.”

The 1-pound female ringneck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won’t ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

“This duck is very passive,” Hale said. “It’s not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands.”

From the AP.

Why would you put a hen into a refrigarator without cleaning it? Freezer maybe if you wanted it mounted. How many people do this?

Some people...NOT ME

Age their fowl(with hide, feathers and all)

Infact, years ago people use to hang their fowl by nailing it's head to a wood wall/building and when the body dropped off to the ground. It was ready to cook and eat

I clean and freeze all my game ASAP

even when aging birds, you must first remove the entrails though.?.? Sounds like a staged PETA prank to me...

I agree on the freezing it whole thing. Nothing but breats go in my freezer, and unless mounting a bird there is no reason to have any more go in. The way I see it, when I'm taking it out to cook, I'd rather have it ready to go--cleaning a duck in January just isn't the same.

Jiginator has it spot on. I don't do this cuz it just sounds yucky, but the old timers around my parts are always talking bout doing that to canvasbacks.

Heads and guts and feathers and all, they hung em from the clothes line or put em in the fridge until they fell apart.

Yucky.

Wow!!!! Gotta agree. He tried to kill it once. Why not finish the job? That was the initial purpose of the ordeal, wasn't it? And yes, it bothers me when someone would spend that much money for a dang duck that they intended to eat anyway and there are kids and adults living on the streets with no food or water.

Quote:

Another thought, grab head and swing in circular- windmill fashion. END THE MISERY...

Have you ever thought that maybe just maybe he wanted to save that HEN. THE HEN THAT LAYS THE EGGS SO THERE WILL BE MORE DUCKS. When I go out duck hunting I try to take only drakes. Because the drakes out number the hens. I know its impossable to see the bird at 1st light and see the colors to know if its a drake or a hen. If I saw I duck on the side of the road or where ever I would see if its alive and I would do the same thing. We need to keep the hens. Why do you think we usally only send men to war. Because the women can make more babys and make more of our kind. Do you get it now why he did what he did????

Oh yea, makes perfect sense; he shot the hen duck and thought "oh no its a hen." Well instead of wasting time in cleaning the bird he put it into a refrigarator hoping that the cold will reduce the birds tempature into a hypothermic state reducing and swelling, thus saving this animal to reproduce (how did he figure the bird would still be able to reproduce from being SHOT).

He/she then spent what ?? $500-$2,000 to save this lone bird. I bet I could buy alot of eggs to hatch and feed for that.

I totally see what he was doing... thanks

Well I certainly don't think one hen is going to hurt the population. I don't even know if they think she will recover enough to go back to the wild and survive.

I strive to make sure I only shoot drakes, but occasionally will take a hen. This is what Delta Waterfowl recognizes and "voluntary restraint," and I know many waterfowlers who practice it. I'm sure many of the FMers do as well, and I think a big part of it is the age and experience of a hunter.

I wouldn't have cared what they did with the duck, and it's not my place to say. I just think it was cool that after all she went through, they decided to save her.

Quote:

And yes, it bothers me when someone would spend that much money for a dang duck that they intended to eat anyway and there are kids and adults living on the streets with no food or water.

This is true, but how many other things to we see money going to that are absolutely ridiculous. Professional athletes' salaries, taxes paying to keep criminals alive...where do we draw the line?

Quote:

Quote:

Another thought, grab head and swing in circular- windmill fashion. END THE MISERY...

Have you ever thought that maybe just maybe he wanted to save that HEN. THE HEN THAT LAYS THE EGGS SO THERE WILL BE MORE DUCKS. When I go out duck hunting I try to take only drakes. Because the drakes out number the hens. I know its impossable to see the bird at 1st light and see the colors to know if its a drake or a hen. If I saw I duck on the side of the road or where ever I would see if its alive and I would do the same thing. We need to keep the hens. Why do you think we usally only send men to war. Because the women can make more babys and make more of our kind. Do you get it now why he did what he did????

are you actually being serious? really?

Quote:

Quote:

hahaha that's some good stuff there. smirk.gif We could take all the money that gets spent on trying to revive all these birds that have little chance at survival and use that money to buy land for rufuges/resting areas for ducks and geese????

my thoughts exactly, PETA staged prank. If its not, that hunter needs a serious lesson in how to kill his game. Should not have been alive to suffer like that.

Imagine your suprise if you came home and you wife said.. you know that duck that you shot... well it was alive and I brought it to a vet for an operation... it lived, but honey we owe the vet $3,000.

I wont feel so bad spending the extra money for high end shot shells.

Quote:

I wont feel so bad spending the extra money for high end shot shells.

And a good lawyer. grin.gif

All I know is if I put one of my ducks in the fridge whole and my wife came home and saw that, it would be more amazing that I would still be alive than this poor duck.

Give me a break, its eve called a RINGNECK, you'd think the guy would know what to do with it when its retrieved alive.