• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

We are planning our annual canoe trip up to Quetico and are contemplating an excursion this year into Kawnipi. Initial thoughts are to come in from the States side using a tow service to the closest entry point. What can you guys/gals give me for information about that lake/trip etc. Thanks in advance.

WG

WalleyeGod--

I went to Kawnipi probably 10 years ago or so. GREAT lake! We got a tow from a outfitters on the Gunflint to the marker and then paddled into the customs to get checked out and such. Paddled and portaged all the way into Kawnipi in that one day. Fishing was very good, beautiful waterfalls (hence the name of the trip is the Falls chain).

It was a good trip, caught a lot of walleyes...didn't have any specific area when we headed up there to fish, just went and tried out the points and found reefs, etc. It's pretty hard not to catch fish up there if you know what I mean.

Harv:

Know what you mean. It just can't be beat no matter where you go up there. You answered one question and solidified my thoughts in that I had wondered if we could make it in to Kawnipi in one day. The Falls chain should be great from what we have been hearing. Thanks.

WG

WG,

Like I said I'm not sure what your/partner(s) experience is but I was with 3 other guys and we made it in a day. We busted our butts, didn't stop to fish or anything like that, but did take in the falls and then moved to the next portage. It was a good trip and one I'd like to do again sometime.

Harv, (which is eerily close to Harm) shocked.gif

If you decide to go back to Kawnipi, better take a few of those young hockey players of yours with you to drag that pizza laden, Harm looking body, over the portages! grin.gifgrin.gif

"Hey buddy....want some popcorn"?

Yeah, if I ever go back up there it'll be in about 8 years or so when MY KIDS can carry all the gear and I'll play the budda and just sit.

Should be up north in 3 weeks for some fishing

We like to think we are all he-men, oh, oh, oh, oh. Bust our butts to get in and then medicate slightly to relieve the pain.

Harv: What times do you recall from dropoff to camp approx. to give me an idea of timeframe.

I made a trip to Kawnipi a year or two ago. Well actually it was 33 years ago. Went in through Basswood, Sunday, and Agnes. Took two days to get there. Spent one whole day heading into a stiff north wind on Agnes.

Spent the first night on Rose Island. Weathered one heck of a severe storm. Barely got the tent up before it hit. A couple of people died on Basswood that day. The large shallow bay south of Rose was loaded with 20+ pound “jacks”. The water was too cold (the ice had gone out a couple days before) and they would barely turn their head to look at a Daredevil or Rapala.

We fished our way southeast the next day and did not catch a thing. We ended up that night at a campsite that was just below Kennebas Falls. Took a couple of casts off just after landing at the campsite and picked up a nice “jack”. Figured we better keep it since we were really counting on catching fish and had not caught a thing so far. This was going to be a three week trip and we did not bring a lot of food.

Just before dark we canoed to right below the falls. We thought we had died and gone to walleye heaven. For the next 5 or so days we caught walleyes until our arms were exhausted. The two of us caught well over two hundred a day. They were all in the fast water right below the falls. We actually tied right up to the brush on a little island that split the falls. You could not keep them off the hook. Any type of lure would catch walleyes. It was the first time I ever crimped down barbs (but not the last). Most were 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. Only a few bigger. I have never eaten so many walleyes in a few days.

We saw very few people on the trip. We did run into a group coming out of McEwen when we left Kawnipi. They said that we had to go in there and fish for lake trout. We didn’t but it sure sounded like it was good.

Returned by way of the Man Lake chain. Was a tremendous trip and I will never forget it.

I am sure things have changed in all these years. But I bet there are still walleyes in Kawnipi.

Have a good trip.

Big Al:

Walleyes, its a what we like.

Stiff head and cross winds. Yuck. Been there and its not fun. Every year there are many stories on what mother nature throws at you. It is a very alluring place and obviously what keeps us coming back. We are looking forward to our Quetico trip already. Thanks.