• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
hanson

Whitefish

hanson

The Eelpout topic got me to thinking... how many people have caught a Whitefish (Tullibee) on URL lately??

We used to average about 4 per day in the late 90s along with the crappies. When you caught 1, you usually caught the rest of them at the same time and all your lines tangled up. Fun! Fun!

I would imagine that a lake full of 20lb northern pike would put quite the dent in the whitefish population. blush.gif

It really is interesting to see how the fishery has changed and evolved over the last few years.

Mike L

Been many moons since a whitefish. And the last one, as I recall, was on open water.

swedishpimple

Been a few years for any whitefish/tulibees for me...I too caught a few when the crappie bite was smoking hot. I still catch a few on LOW.....On a side note...Chris I am pretty sure I went to college with you and even traveled Europe with you too I am a year younger....are you using that degree???

weathermaker

Talking about whitefish got me to think a few years back I caught a few white fish on Milacs and put them in my bucket.The next day went out to a local metro lake and tossed the frozen fish on the ice by my portable so I could use the bucket. An hour later a older guy comes walking up and say's "well I'll be dambed, been fishing this lake for over 40 years and never knew it had whitefish... ( it dosnt)I told him a little fib saying oh yea I catch quite a few of them each year.I always wondered how many people he told...

hanson

Quote:

On a side note...Chris I am pretty sure I went to college with you and even traveled Europe with you too I am a year younger....are you using that degree???

I am using that degree working for an architecture firm in Minneapolis. I'm going to have a hard time trying to figure out who you are. Shoot me an e-mail and we can chat.

Matt Breuer

Two last Winter, and a few the Winter before. None this season as of yet. I remember years back smoking them during late ice! That pike population I'm sure has a good deal of it, as does the deeper water being on the non-fishable water. This is prbably why there are less 'pout showing up as well!

kelly-p

I can not remember the year but maybe "Outsider" from Roger's can but we had a very warm summer and most of the whitefish died out from the hot water. frown.gif

Random guy

Quote:

I would imagine that a lake full of 20lb northern pike would put quite the dent in the whitefish population.
blush.gif

Hanson, what am I going to do with you? laugh.gif The big pike ate all the walleyes also after they got done feeding on unicorns. grin.gif

I spoke with a member fisheries service today and he explained that when the whitefish have a huge die off from the heat the eelpout suffer the same fate, they can't take the temps...and it just so happens we had a huge whitefish kill from the heat a few years back. Many guys are telling me that they are seeing small schools "SUPER BIG" shiners on the cameras. I'm guessing what they are seeing is young whitefish making a comeback.

swamptiger

"Many guys are telling me that they are seeing small schools "SUPER BIG" shiners on the cameras. I'm guessing what they are seeing is young whitefish making a comeback."

Ummm - that's good news - smoked whitefish are pretty high on my list. Tullibees and whitefish are actually quite a different fish, although they look similar. Whitefish have a nice firm flakey flesh, while tullibees are soft & mushy. No comparison - in my book..

Coldwater Crappie Guy

Last year we did catch at least one a trip. None this year though!