• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crappies - SouthWest Metro?

I have yet to dip a line through the ice in MN and I am looking for a good place to fish Crappies. Anyone have a good tip or two on what lake is good? I live in Bloomington, so I would be looking for something reasonably close by...

Would not try driving a car or truck out on
the north side of Prior right now. They have lost 3 vehicles right there at the access
by the beach. An atv/sled should be okay
though.PJFWEB.. I am also from Blomington.
If you want,I could show you a few spots
around the area. My permanent is on Prior right now. Let me know,and I will try and set up a time/place to get you started.There are some good places near you and some others only 15-20 minutes away. smile.gif

TUMBLEWEED:

I really do appreciate the offer. I don't know when I would be able to get out to go. Saturday mornings are best for me but this Saturday morning doesn't work. E-mail me if would like to give me some leads on lakes. I was able to fish most of the lakes within 10 miles of my home this summer. I think Prior is the only one I didn't smile.gif So I am somewhat familiar with most of the lakes. I spent most of my summer fishing on Minnewashta, but I would like to find something closer...

pjfweb AT yahoo DOT com

Hey Tumbleweed,

Is that offer open to anyone? I just moved to South Minneapolis and I'm always looking for a new spot to ice some crappies.

Thanks

------------------
tjhunter

Well I have no problem with that tjhunter.
Could maybe get both you and pjfweb out sometime soon. This weekend is not good,as I
am fixing up an old sled to be more mobile
on moving the shack around.Its an older Ski-Doo, but has potential.Was out last night
on Prior floating the shack up on some blocks.Only got one crappie for a couple hours fishing.With no more snow banked up
on the bottom,the wind was really blowing
over the holes,under the shack.Pretty hard to keep an eye out for those light biters.I'll look you guys up a little later when I see a good chance to get out smile.gif

I fish Spring lake often, it is next to prior. That lake is loaded with crappie. most are 3 to a pound with a few bigger mixed in at times. how big are they going at prior?

CYB

Sounds like I am going to have give Spring a try... I just finished loading up on my ice fishing tackle, so I am completely ready to go... I might even try to get out tomorrow...

Just got back from Upper Red Lake last night, I can't say the bite was great but anytime you can go out and catch 8 13inch crappies is a good day.

I'm originally from Northern MN and haven't fished much around the metro in the 4 yrs I've been down here. I do however spend almost every weekend in the summer about 4 hrs north. I could trade some tips for lakes around the Bemidji area for some tips on a few lakes in the metro area. I've tried Fish Lake and had some luck in the summer but not in the winter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

FlashMan
I was on Fish lake yesterday before the storm hit and did pretty well. After about 70 fish I went home with 15 crappie, 6 gill and 2 perch over 10". I was on the north side of the lake between the point that juts south and the hump in the middle. If you look at the dnr map it shouldn't be to hard to find. Started in 12' and worked my way to 23'. Nothin big but a lot of fun. I'm new to this group, just found it last week and gotta admit it can be a gold mine to the right prospecter.

Ice_Shack,

I've only been on Fish Lake once during the hardwater season and I didn't do very well. I tried fishing the hump you were talking about. I did fish it a number of times during the summer...was almost impossible to keep those little Crappies off the hook. That was summer of 2000. I would think they would be getting a little bigger by now.

I was thinking of fishing Christmas Lake this weekend. I have a friend that lives just blocks from it but has never attempted it. I'll be sure to post any results, if I get to christmas or where ever.

Fished Fish Lake tonight and cought a lot of small crappies. No keepers, but it was fun to watch them shoot off the bottom to the bait. The crappie bite is slow on Spring and the size is way down this year. You may be able to get into some larger sunnies during the day.

Icewolf,

fishing is supposed to be about catching fish...it is nice to find some big enough for a meal though. Maybe I'll get out there before the weekend and see if I can catch some to them as well.
Thanks for the info.

Strikemaster,
I have fished Cedar several times this winter. I have caught sunnies each time out. My last trip was saturday and the bite was slower than the other trips.

Fish lake....south of Prior, East of Highway 13 a couple miles....can't remember the road number. thinking about trying to get out there Wednesday evening. I left my house in Blackduck so I guess I'll have to get out the warm clothes and see what happens.

I hit the ice for the first time tonight... I went to Bush Lake. Not a ton of luck but it was good to get out anyway... I was able to land two decent size crappie and a few very small bluegils. My six year old daughter was with too for her first time ice fishing... We had fun and that was the main focus, so the few fish were just a bonus...

There is still plenty of nice crappie to catch in spring lake!
If you are catching only small ones, move. There was a big hatch from 2000 that are about 5 inches now, and they tend to school together. So if you are catching "sethroughs" or "potato chips" try moving deeper...or shallower, stay away from the crowds. Use a small jig with a waxie, instead of minnows and you will probably get some nice bluegill mixed in. Just keep enough for a dinner, so the good fishing will last smile.gif

Best fishes,

Cyb

janm88:

Although I haven't been to Prior Lake yet I know where it is... For you just take 494 West, 169 South, then 13 South... 13 runs right through Prior Lake (the city) and Prior Lake (the lake) is on your right. Also there is an upper and a lower Prior Lake... Here is a map of the lake...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/b0291010.pdf

Just wondering where to get on Spring lake the DNR sys it has an access on the SW side but I'll be walkin.

There is an access on the NE side of Spring lake that is best for walking out to fish.
there is not much parking usually, but now the water is so low you can park on the shore anywhere in that area. Take a right off of 13, onto 12. follow 12 and soon you will see the lake on your left. watch for a little road that goes right to the lake. there is a sign that says "No boat landing".
Remember, the lake is on your left. If you go right, you will end up on prior lake smile.gif

The south west access is the boat ramp. you can go there but you will have a long, long walk to get to a good spot.

Best fishes,

Cyberfish

www.gemfishing.org