• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was out there tonight and I fished the Highbanks area and the ice was around 8" or so. There were atv tracks out there.

Oh yea and I got skunked!!! I marked fish in 25 fow but they didn't seem to hungry

So does it pay to fish around the steps area or to the left of the Ponderosa launch? Seemed like there was a couple fish there during open water. Hoping to get out for an hour or so this weekend.

i have fished the step area and to the left of the pondy in open water and have caught quite a few slab crappie and some nice bass.i havent however fished the ice out there i was woundering the same thing so i might give it a try and find out..

fished the area by the steps on Saturday am only to find about 4" in that area........slushy top......marked some fish a couple of sniffers but no takers........Ice was ok but while walking out we stopped for a break to take in the great day and ice under us started popping and giving way.....it was time to get off......probably just a poor spot near a crack but sure gots our attentions!!!!

We fished the opposite bank from the steps for an hour Saturday. There was about 9 - 10 inches of ice. No fish, but we weren't trying too hard.

I finally got a chance to get out around here. I fished Zumbro by just off the point by Fisherman's Inn Sun AM for a while. One dink perch to show for it. Marked a few fish but that was it. Probably still too early for that spot. Seems like it's more of a late Feb/march spot. Fished in 10 ft of water and had barely 5 inches of ice. When I poped the holes a fair amoiunt of water came up onto the ice as it seemed to sag from my wieght and the weight of the recent snow.

went out monday morning from 7am to 12pm. the highbanks had 7" of clear and 2"white with out 2" of water on top of the ice in some areas. Rattlesnake is a different story theres about 3" to 4" clear and 4" of white and lots of water everywhere. The fishing was slow. Between the 2 of us we caught around 15 fish. 3 Crappies, 12 or so gills with one being a hair over 9" and a horrible shiner frown.gif

Stelz- Jon here, just got your message, I was actually planning on fishing out there on Friday too so we will definitely fish together. What time are you headed out there? I am planning on being there around 2 or so then fishing until about 6. I will give you a call tonight.

Jon O congrats on the w on the ice contest the other day. Sure makes a man think alot of himself and the wife surely liked the cash i am sure. ike

I was just wondering if anyone had a permanent shack out on the Zumbro yet? I was thinking with this cold the ice must be getting thick. I would like to get my shack out by the high banks this week... Thanks

There are permanent shacks out on the lake. I was out there the past two days and the ice was 8-9 inches thick at High-banks. Not thick enough to be driving on yet, just four wheelers and sleds.

If you look at a map of Lake Zumbro, just south of the ponderosa is a peninsula that looks like a spoon, the "high banks" area is right across the water from that.

i must thank mr. dan thiem for origianally posting but here is that good ol picture once again

it is my understanding the the highbanks area is where i have put three dots in the water. if i am wrong by all means someone clear this mess up.

highbanksarea.jpg

Thanks Ike, your exactly correct with the 3 dots.

That old maps sure been around the block a few times, but its a good one.

Just curious on how is the ice out there this past week....? This will be my first time out there. Let me know thanks!

Anybody had any luck fishing after dark on the Zum this ice season? No hotspots please, just fish counts and any other info your willing to share...

I might give it a go on Friday evening.

I am thinking of putting my permanent shack on the ice this week. this will be the first time I will have it out so I was wondering if there were any tricks for putting out... Thinking of putting in the high banks area just not too sure how I am going to pull out though I wish the ice was a little thick/safer out there so that I could use my SUV...

Crazy thanks for the offer I will have to see, I am going to talk to my father in law and see if his 8 wheeler is working if so I will pry use that it has a fair amount of power and a hitch and if I go through the ice I will float... well not really if I have the shack hooked up but any way

had a buddy out this morning and said he saw 1 f-150, 2 or 3 samller trucks, a van and a small car crazy.gif. He said he measured 9" on Highbanks and not all is clear. You wont see me out there in my truck until 12+".

There were full size trucks out there everywhere today. I measured 10 3/4" everywhere i checked. Kept 2 nice sunnies and 3 crappies for a meal. Put back 2 smaller crappies and about 12 smaller sunnies.

James where were you fishing just looking for a general area highbanks, rattlesnake... Also were the trucks any where close to high banks I am looking to drop the permanent there tomorrow.

Thanks

Highbanks was slow for me this morning. Got a few there. Trucks were driving past the highbanks around the point (postier point i think it is??) so taking a wheelhouse too the highbanks would be alright from the looks of it. I was fishing closer too the group of houses around that point. That wasnt fast and furious either though. I had too leave at 4pm so i dont know if the crappies turned on or not after i left.

Thanks for the info hopefully I can make it out there tomorrow so that I can spend the weekend out there.