• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WHERE TO GO-- FIRST TIME ON LAKE WINNIE

HEADING UP ON 1/27 to 2/3 07

Will have a few days to check things out.

Looking for the perch & eye bite in the evening.

WHERE TO START???

stop in at high banks resort they will give you the most up to date info

Jason

my questions would be where are you going to access the lake from or where are you staying out of. but high banks is always a good place to start!

TO jiggin pig :

Going to stay at Nodak Lodge on south end of lake.

From south acess how far are we talking to high banks?

Winnie has many good fishing areas. If you spend $18.00 on a lake map and have a gps it will put you on as many spots as you can fish in a few days. from the south end of the lake to the north end of the lake. You may want to try moving around the way points given most of them are on the tops of the bars and humps. If the weather (barometer) is not in your favor it will be a tough bite. Last weekend was a tough bite. They were there and we caught fish but the size was smaller and between 5 people kept 20 perch 10-12 inches. Be willing to move around if needed once you find fish stay in the area for a few hours before moving. A good lake map and a gps is a big help to bringing home some fish.

I would also suggest looking at the DNR website. They have a PDF file version of a lakemap of Winnie. I think it is a fairly accurate topographic map that will tell you where the breaks are.

Travel on the lake right now is the best I've seen in the past few winters for this time of the year. You can drive just about anywhere on the lake now. Very little rough ice & no measurable snow but you do have to watch out for the pressure ridges. Nodak's will help you out with where they are.

We stay at Nodaks every year, they will give you up-to-date maps with the locations of the their roads and houses, and up-to-date info on the bite. Have a good trip.

We carry the Reel Bottom lake map that is going to provide you with the most precise info on the lake and the greatest amount of detail. Fishing reports from this past weekend were positive in the Bena Bar 22-24' range, Zoomers in 26' of water and out on Raven's. Many were using a jig tipped with either the head of a fatheads or a full minnow. New report in late yesterday on a 3-4' pressure ridge that runs east and west in the Center Bar area. If you are driving up to the humps from the south end of the lake, beware of your surroundings, use your gps. We keep a red beacon on 24/7 to use as a landmark to help people out on the lake if they need a reference point. Stop in if you get a chance, we'd be happy to give you some suggestions and any updates on hot spots!! Enjoy your stay on Winnie!

Hey, Sweny heading up that way maybe we will run into each other have some fish juice and talk about the days catch. Had some good ole times on devils maybe winnie will be a blast as well. think we r staying at the same place as you if i am right. grin.gif

Highbanks, I'll be heading up there on Saturday. We've stayed at your resort in the past, but this trip is just going to be a day trip with the portables. I would like to pay for the use of your ice road to stay safe. What time will you be working on Sat. morning?

There are some good lakes by Sportsman's Connection on lake Winnie. You can get the book on the whole Grand Rapids and Bemidji area (something like 200 lakes) I got it at Gander Mountain. You can also get just the map on their site for a download.

We fished out of Denny's and did pretty good. Just followed the houses along the break, we stayed right of the furthest houses and fished in 30 ft of water. Fish would bite all day long, most were caught on jig and minnow or plain red hook and minnow. the bite was a light one so you needed a flexible tip on your rod. At about 3:00 pack up and head to 12ft - 14ft of water for the Walleye bite.

Good Luck, ole

Thanks Highbanks! We had a blast the last time we stayed at your place. Hope to do it again soon!!!