• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

STOCKED POND IN BLOOMINGTON

A few months back the DNR stocked a small pond in the city of Bloomington with sunfish and crappies. I tried to take my boy there and check it out and had no luck. I'm wondering if anyone else knows about this pond and have tried it out. It is off of Portland avenue and 82nd next to the Lutheran High School. I did call the DNR to get some info and it sounds like in the spring they will be building a fishing dock next to the pavillion on the east side of the pond. My next question is when they "stock" these two types of fish how big are they? Thanks in advance!!

Schaakdad,

The DNR usually stocks these types of ponds as "Kids Fishing Ponds". You can look it up on the DNR website for further information. There is also a list of all the kids fishing ponds at the site as well. I believe all the fish stocked are keeper size. Hope I was of some help.

Good Luck,
Rusty

I've been interested in some of those ponds also. If they don't winterkill, you might catch some nice fish. And a lot of those lakes have aerators now. Penn Lake is another one in Bloomington that I'm curious about. There's lots of carp, but has anyone caught crappies there? I might try it. If you check the DNR sample reports on some of those childrens ponds, a lot of the crappies they net are big. I just checked the DNR page for Powderhorn in Mpls. and they netted crappies over 12+ inches. It's only 10 acres. A few years ago, at Lake Cornelius near Southdale, I saw #'s of winterkilled bass over 20 inches. I never knew they were there. I thought it was just a goldfish/carp pond. People might give you funny looks, but they might be worth a try. Vern
[email protected]
www.innercityfishing.com

• 3 weeks later...

I tried fishing from shore at Penn Lake this early summer, but didn't catch anything. I can attest to the high number of carp, I could barely stand the smell from all the dead ones on the shore.

I think my try in the summer was worthless though, I couldn't cast far enough to get to them I'm sure.

According to the DNR page, they stock full-sized adults, but only a few hundred or so. They're in there, but I've never tried ice fishing for them. It might be worth the time.

Which Lutheran HS is it that you are talking about? I may know of someone that goes to school there so I could have them find out. Let me know which school it is.