• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

spear question

shamalex72

I picked up a new spear from sportsmans warehouse today. My question is about attatching the rope. It has a threaded fitting on the end with a hole through it. Do I run a rope through the fitting, tie a knot then screw the fitting back in? Thanks.

yes thats how you do it but i tie two knots on the very end of the rope then stuff a foot of rope in the handle then tie two more knot together just in case.

Thanks spearman. It says "cannon arrow spear" on the sticker, have you used one of these. It seems to be a well made spear. It is heavier than my old which I got a fleet farm quite a while ago. I plan on trying it out tomorrow afternoon.

I have two spears like you are talking about one i got from the local hardware store some 20 years ago and one i picked up at an auction 5 yrs ago for $20 which i thought was a steal. There is one thing about them that you might want to check on them is the handle screws on to the head and i had problems with it coming loose so i had to farmer fix it and it hasnt come loose yet if you check it and it does this let me know and i tell you how i fixed it good luck with it its been a good spear to me for the money.

Ya i understand what your talking about. I will nto buy a spear were the spear turns onto the handle. One its not safe, and two it will come loose. Glad you got that baby fixed. blush.gif

This is what it looks like. The handle does not turn into the head, the only thing that turns is where the rope attatches. DSCF1301.jpg

DSCF1302.jpgWent out tonight for a bit, but didn't see any.

shamalex,

I got the same spear at a local bait shop in aitkin. I was told it was made by the amish. It has done a very good job for me this year. good luck

BassNSpear, if you get a chance will you post a picture or two of your spear? Anyone else care to share a picture their spear? I will get ahold of my wife's digital camera one of these days and try to post a few shots myself! Thanks guys.

I will take a few shots tonight of the two spears that i have at home. Thanks for being interested in what i use. Ill Get-R-Done

On page 58 of the Mn regs ,,it states You can angle from a dark house ,,,Im assuming You cant have a spear in the house at this time ,,,can any one clarify this???,,,it doesnt make sense that You can spear and angle in the same hole ,,but then again there are lots of regs that dont make much sense either

Randoid

This is From the DNR Site!!

Important rule changes for Minnesota anglers who spear fish (2006-12-12)

December 1, 2006, brought some important rule changes for Minnesota anglers who spear fish.

Under the new law a person may not take fish by angling or use tip-ups while spearing fish in a dark house, except that a person may take fish by angling if only one angling line is in use and any fish caught by angling is immediately released to the water or placed on the ice.

That specific requirement is limited to fish taken by angling. The new rules apply to rough fish, catfish, lake whitefish and northern pike taken by spearing.

WHILE SPEARING, CAN YOU USE A TIP-UP?

Yes. While spearing, a person may use one angling line or one tip-up. The angling line or tip-up may be inside the house or outside the house.

IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO JIG OR USE A SPOON IN THE SAME HOLE USED FOR SPEARING?

Yes. A person may angle and spear at the same time in the same hole.

IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO HAVE A HOOK EMBEDDED IN A SUCKER BEING USED AS BAIT?

Yes. A person may angle and spear at the same time, a sucker minnow may be used as bait for angling. If a sucker, being used as spearing decoy, has a hook in it, that sucker/hook will constitute the one angling line which can be used while spearing.

CAN THE FISH BE IN A BUCKET THAT'S ON THE ICE, ON THE FLOOR OF THE HOUSE, OR IN A COOLER?

The purpose of this requirement is to prevent leaving game fish on the angling line in the water serving as bait. "On the ice" means not in the water, and can reasonably include being in a bucket, cooler, or on the house floor. The fish can be placed either inside or outside of the house.

IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE SPEAR OR ONE ANGLING LINE IN THE HOUSE AT THE SAME TIME?

Each person may use one angling line while spearing. If two people are in a house and only one of them is spearing, the person spearing may use one angling line, and the person not spearing may use two angling lines. It is also permissible to have additional spears and angling equipment in possession in the house provided such equipment is not in use.

The open season for spearing through the ice in Minnesota is Friday, Dec. 1, 2006 to Sunday, Feb. 25, 2007.