• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is Lake Independence a good lake to Ice fish on?

Please give me some feed back regarding Lake Independence. I've heard the lake has a great supply of muskies, walleyes and crappies,is that true? And if so, where are the hot spots?

Independence has some nice sized Crappies running up to a pound if you fish in the right spots. Fish in about 25-35 feet of water around breaklines, and out in the holes with small jigs and wax worms to catch the crappies. You will run into a few gills too. Look for suspended fish as those typically are the most active.

Thanks for all the information regarding Lake Independence. Another question, do you know where the hot spots are for walleyes on that lake?
Thanks again for your insight.

independence is a very good lake for walleyes
as a matter of fact, i was just there yesterday, and my buddy and i caught 18 walleyes, keeping a few for the pan. (open water fishing on dec. 9th, imagine that).independence is a heavily stocked lake and as a result of this and the heavy fishing pressure most of the walleyes fall into the 13-15 inch range. at first ice one might want to try the rock reefs on the south end west of the beach

Wow, that's impressive, how deep were you fishing and with what? I might go over there this weekend and see what happens. I don't know about you, but I can't wait till we can get out there and do some ice fishing. One last question, have you ever tried fishing the deep hole on the south end, which is around 57-60 ft deep?

I've fished that hole for crappies and it is pretty decent, anywhere in the lake in water 35ft. plus can be decent. Four or Five years ago we were fishing a little of that deep hole in about 45 feet and pulled a 29 inch walleye up that was suspended in with the crappies we where catchin' probably chasing them for a meal.

Catch-N-Release