• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Calling

HunterLee

Well with the full moon, anybody been out calling. Called in two pairs right before dark to separate nights, got one from each set, one set was full of mange, and the others were very nice, Shoulda of had the double on the ugly ones, and the two nice ones circled at bout 250-300yds, did manage to get the big male. Went out Monday night started right before dark, and called a total of 9 coyotes. Only managed to get 2, and hit one. My shooter had a rough night so i took the last two. Responding best to the howl's, and waiting quite a while on each set, very fun night. Anybody else been out.

my friend and i went out a couple nights behind a large factory; using the light pollution to our advantage. called in a fox night before christmas eve using bird distress sounds; and the next night 100 yards down the line fence we had a pair of 'yotes hang up just out of shotgun range. called those in with a fawn in distress sound. my daytime calling sets (which have been limited due to lack of snow) have produced nothing so far, other than some howls in reply to my howls. cant wait for some lasting snow. that should really help me out a lot.

I haven't ever went predator hunting, only shot them when I am out deer/pheasant hunting. When you call them at night how do you know when they are around and getting close? Do they howl back at you?

take a look outside on a moonlight night, its plenty light enough to see them coming, the ones we got were 200 yds away. we dont go in the dark only a few nights a year is it nice enough to moonlight hunt, its a good time and i hopefully get to go tommorrow night. Some howl and some dont, most of the ones that respond havnet howled.

MN law states you cannot spotlight with a rifle, only with a shotgun, handheld light, and only after Jan 1st.

If you just call you can use anything.

Went out the Saturday right before Christmas just to call at a "possible" hunting spot and work on my calling confidence. It was last minute, I was a ways from home.....(no gun with me)........DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! Howled a few times, added some cottontail and jack rabbit distress...5 minutes later had a coyote close to within 100 yards. Confidence went WAY up but unfortunately an opportunity was missed.

Went out last Friday morning to the same spot, setting up using the wind in our favor. I used the same calls as the previous weekend. Called one in and my buddy shot it. 70 yards and it was mangy. Confidence in my calling is now VERY high!

Question: If you guys are after both fox and coyote, do you howl? I'm confident that is what got these coyotes to commit but am I ruining a good fox opportunity? Thanks in advance!

fishin'

I've seen fox bail out of areas at the sound of a howler and had a pair coming to the distress call when a handfull of yotes started howlin in response,the fox wasted no time in changing directions and getting out of there fast! Start out with distress calls in fox country and go to howlers towards the end of your set,you just have to stay put longer.

Quote:

Went out the Saturday right before Christmas just to call at a "possible" hunting spot and work on my calling confidence. It was last minute, I was a ways from home.....(no gun with me)........DUMB, DUMB, DUMB! Howled a few times, added some cottontail and jack rabbit distress...5 minutes later had a coyote close to within 100 yards. Confidence went WAY up but unfortunately an opportunity was missed.

I practice my calls in my house. I don't even step outside to hit the howler because I fear educating the critters in my neighborhood.

Sounds like you got lucky and maybe didn't educate him too bad if he's dead now. grin.gif