• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

By the looks of things, these are not the type of sturgeon you need to be cautious of the spines on the back? Out west, that was a big deal.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyepatrol

• harvey lee

• hanson

• iffwalleyes

Quote:

By the looks of things, these are not the type of sturgeon you need to be cautious of the spines on the back? Out west, that was a big deal.

The small ones are sharp. They're not too bad once they are over the mid-thirty inch mark.

The little ones of are full of spines but as they grow and their skin stretches the spines get less pronounced.

Nice Tip Of The Week Hanson! You make a truly important point.

I'll just add that if you must weight the fish, do it while the fish is still in the net and just subtract the weight of the net. This way the scale hook never comes in contact with the fish and its weight should be supported by the meshing in the net.

Since we’re doing such a good job of admitting our “wrongs” and learning from our past experiences, I’ll add mine. If you catch a tagged fish, don’t remove the tag! Just write down the tag # and color. You may have to scrap the algae off the tag to be able to read the number. I caught one last year and removed the tag. Later I found out that they want those tags left on the fish so they can get multiple reports from multiple catches.

Below is some info from the MN DNR website…

When releasing a tagged fish, DO NOT remove the tag(s)! Jot down the number on the tag and report your catch to the DNR.

When keeping a tagged fish, please return the tag to the DNR.

When reporting a catch of a tagged fish please include the following information:

• TAG NUMBER

• Lake

• Species

• Did you release or harvest the fish?

• If released, was the tag removed?

• Date caught

• Location on lake that it was caught

• Length of the fish

• Were you fishing from a boat, launch, or shore?

• Your name, address, phone number

• E-mail address

In return, you will receive a history of the fish you report, which will include: where and when it was tagged; how long it was when it was tagged; and information on whether it had been previously caught and released.

Sportman's web cam show some promise this morning. Ice is loosening up from shore and it looks like it is starting to turn a little darker. You know you have it bad when you spend more time looking at forecasts for where you are going fishing next then when you are at home. They show rain for next Fri. Sat looks to be nice 57 and partly cloudy. 50's for highs all week and lows in the upper 20's. We have some help coming our way at least.

Agreed with the forecast. I looked this morning and thought someone is looking down on the FM group. smile.gif

Sounds promising! I just spoke to Schusters to confirm our reservation. They had one group cancel on them, so if anyone is looking for a cabin yet or anyone else wants to go, give Schusters a call!

Less than a week now! cool.gif

I'm ready to roll, BC. Just finished watching KHO and they were getting into the sturgeon about 1.5-2 weeks ago in "the gap." Looks like I might have to do some bicep curls. Looks like a workout!

Well, I'm off to Moore's to get some terminal tackle.

One more week!

Holy mammmoth Batman!

Look what I came across. 66" of pure beast! This was caught within the past few days.

joes66-793300.JPG

I'll say Robin, Where'dya photo that one???

DTRO, see ya on friday!

More than excited for this TRIP!!

We're up to 9 for the Excursion.

In-Fisherman show this morning they were on Rainy Fishing Lake Sturgeon. They got one that was 65". That will get a preson excited for a trip.

Everything looks great Eric, Looks like good weather and a great time. I will be at your house 7 am on thursday. Did i say 4 more days woot woot. See you soon

Man! Why am I not out fishing in this great weather???

Oh yea! Because I got the boat 1/2 loaded and ready to go! cool.gif

Thursday can't come soon enough! crazy.gifcrazy.gifgrin.gif

Quick question for Hanson and others.....how do you measure these big dudes? Do you take a string, run it along the back to the tip of the tail, let the fish go and then measure the length of the string? And....at what location on the fish do you measure the girth? Hopefully our boat will need to be concerned about such things. wink.gif

Tape measure or a long ruler works just fine. Measure the girth at the widest point on their body.

I was just thinking it might be tough to get an accurate length with a straight measuring device on those bigger fish like the one dtro had shown on the previous page. shocked.gifsmile.gif

Quote:

I was just thinking it might be tough to get an accurate length with a straight measuring device on those bigger fish like the one dtro had shown on the previous page.
shocked.gifsmile.gif

Laying them on the floor of the boat works well (if the boat's big enough shocked.gif).

Well I just had a slight change with my group for my cabin this weekend. I now have 3 open beds available if anyone is interested. If you are let me know. I don't plan on doing much there other than sleeping. I plan on being in the boat as long as possible and the lounge as long as possible grin.gif. Setterguy did you ever locate a room?

Quote:

and the lounge as long as possible
grin.gif

I can't imagine why. Maybe since I came across this pic from last year.

bigjuggsgm0.jpg

ok.....wives/girlfriends....calm down I was only kidding tongue.gif

Man Dtro I didn't remeber your crew looking so good last year. I see the big mugs but man that don't look like Hanson and Papa Gump grin.gif. Say if they are looking for a place to crash I have room for 3 grin.gif.

Sure wish I could make it this year, but it's my weekend at work. I wish everyone the best of luck landing some piggies! I'll be up the weekend after the excursion if anyone decides to come back up for a second round of fun - I may see ya on the water!!

Oh yeah - be careful on those little sturgs - they can open up a guys hand like razors if you're not careful especially whan your hands are wet and soft already from landing so many fish! A guy I know grabbed a little one a year or so ago and it started wiggling in his hand - guess it was a pretty bad scene! You might want to bring the fish handling glove with...

I did talk to the guy from Schusters yesterday, and he found us a spot to lay our heads...I asked if it was with Tyler, only because he had offered and the guy said no we were going to be with "doc" from ND.

Since I have never been Sturgeon fishing before, and never been to the Rainy before I have a few questions....

Gear. I am planning on bringing Catfish rods with Muskie reels. I have them spooled with 80 pound tufline with 100 pound swivels and a 8' 20lb test leader, tied to a 2/0 red circle hook. Any thoughts or suggestions on line, hook size, or anything else?

Boat: I am very new to any kind of river fishing, will my 40lb anchor be sufficient keeping my 17' boat in place or should I invest in another one for the rear of the boat?

Thanks guys.

I'm no expert on this Setterguy, but I would go with a heavier leader, shorten it up a lot, and go with a much larger hook.

We used 40lb mono, 8-12 inches long with 4/0 or 5/0 hooks.

Not saying its the perfect set up, but I think you should up size a couple notches.

20 lb mono is very sufficient, but I would not use a mono leader with braid main. Just use the braid of your mainline for a leader, and shorten it to 12-18".

I think you'll be fine with that hook. You could upsize. I don't think it's too critical. I know people who are successful with smaller hooks than that and bigger hooks, too.

As for the anchor, I don't know the conditions up there. I would think a 40 lb would keep you planted!!! That is one heavy sucker. Keep in mind you will more than likely be pulling it up if/when you hook a big fish. What type of anchor is it?

fiskyknut, drop me an email and let me know if we're still a go for Thrus & Friday. I should be there around noonish on Thurs and I'll want to get wet ASAP.