• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

WOW! THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM FOR HELPING ME CATCH A MONSTER STURGEON. SPECIAL THANKS TO TYLER HOLM AND WHOMEVER PRESENTED THE PODCAST PRIOR TO THE STURGEON EXCURSION! On Thursday, I caught my first Sturgeon ever at 40 inches and then one at 37 inches and my trip was made, or so I thought. On Friday, I landed my third and final (she stripped the gears in my drag!) Sturgeon of the trip at 63 inches. No we didn't measure her girth, my bad, but I say she went 80lbs. smile.gif

DvolxbAfjYIS6015l4gg1RWv7vRHC8GU0258.jpg

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyepatrol

• harvey lee

• hanson

• iffwalleyes

Very Nice fish there DrowningWorms!

I would say your guess on weight is probably right, and by the expression on your face, I'd say she's heavy. smile.gif

Yeah Scott, that is an awesome fish! Congrats. It was nice to meet you and Loos. Fun crew. It was fun watching you do battle with that monster. I'm glad you got it in. See you next year!

It amuses me how people are hooked on sturgeon fishing and then they catch a really big one and there is no doubt that they will be attending next years Sturgeon Excursion.

Warning: if you come to one you will be coming to them annually.

On anther note I talked to my buddy up there and he says the bite is still going strong.

Quote:

It amuses me how people are hooked on sturgeon fishing and then they catch a really big one and there is no doubt that they will be attending next years Sturgeon Excursion.

Warning: if you come to one you will be coming to them annually.

Aint that the truth! grin.gif

So how many of you have reservations at Schusters for next year??? Last year there were 3 of us, this year 10, and I'd bet we'll need more beds next year!! Without exception, all 10 committed for next year already. What an awesome experience!!

Quote:

As soon as the date is set, I'm booking!

Looks like the weekend of April 18, 19, & 20 next April is about the same time as this year. smile.gif Thats my vote. There was a little grumbling about pushing it back due to the "ice factor" but that sure didn't prove to be a problem this year.

Wouldn't that be something if they booked up next year during the next couple weeks. blush.gif

4th Annual Sturgeon Excursion here we come. To think the 1st one started with a couple boats and 10-12 guys. Sort of like Cool Cats starting with 5 guys ice fishing kitties.

Hanson you silly guy!

I haven't looked when Easter is for next year. We delayed last years Sturgeon Excusion becase the week after the close of walleye season was Easter...guess that weekend didn't work for a few guys wives...so to keep the Favorite Wife happy, we backed it up a week to the second weekend after walleye season closed.

I really wanted to make it over to Schusters this year...but those fish kicked my rear end and Saturday night I was in bed...snoring by 10:30.

Thanks for the offer to go out with you and Tom Rick. Had I not committed to the guys I was with, I would have taken you up on that!

Next year? cool.gif

The one thing I noticed each night when the crew was eating was that at most GTG's people talk a little about fishing...a little about the website and a little of just about anything.

During the Sturgeon Excursion while eating EVERYONE was talking about the sturgeon and the fishing! It seems like LOTW's/Rainy sturgeon from about 45" and up capture the attention of the angler...and it's hard to talk about anything else.

By the way, it was a great sight to see when I arrived Thursday and was going to my first spot...the first two anglers I ran into was Hanson and an angler that Hanson forgot to introduce me to. Understandable as Hanson was fighting his first larger sturgeon of the weekend...

He holds it up and says "This is why we come to the Rainy River!" His smile was brighter than the sun! wink.gif

Tyler, if this thing grows exponentionally, like I think it is going to, there may get to be a line waiting for beds

!!! We booked for next year, whatever the weekend. This year we booked for 6 and had ten, Next year we booked for 12!

Easter is super early next year March 23th from what I found. So I would say that we would want to do the weekend that Hanson mentioned. I think this year prooved that we could find open water we just might have to drive a bit. I like the dates myself they work good for me.

It should go without saying, but it feels sooo good to say it!

I'll be there next year! cool.gif

You know it is really amazing how the popularity of these fish have taken off. I have watched more fishing programs the last month about Lake Sturgeon. Keys Outdoors has a program a month or so ago I believe on the St Croix. Then the week before the excursion In-Fisherman had a program on the Rainy and now today I watched North American Fisherman do a program up there. Obviously they have gained popularity. Two years ago I would have never seen them on TV. I like the North American program. They talked about how it is a very social type of fishing where you anchor up and talk to your buddies or neighboring boats. He also talked about how it is fun to watch a neighboring boat catch the fish as well. These are all things that I have enjoyed about my times fishing these beasts. They interviewed a guy from MN DNR and he said that they hope to see some 100 lbs and 80" fish in the next 10 years. What will that fight like? God that would be cool.

Quote:

By the way, it was a great sight to see when I arrived Thursday and was going to my first spot...the first two anglers I ran into was Hanson and an angler that Hanson forgot to introduce me to.

Sorry dude... That was my dad! smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Quote:

DvolxbAfjYIS6015l4gg1RWv7vRHC8GU0258.jpg

Saw this fish in the Outdoor News last week. Congratulations again.

Also got an email from a friend that was up there in late April with a 92 pounder. What a hog.

Can't wait for next year...or maybe I'll try it again this summer.

• 2 months later...

So what do you fellas say should we set some dates and start the ball rolling? I am with Hanson April 18-20 with the main day being the 19th. I had a buddy get a boat this weekend and on the way home kept on mentioning people that we should ask to come along. The first year I went it was just me. Then last year I had my two buddies with. Now with another boat in the mix it looks like we will pull a group of 6 together. I might even get the old man in the boat. He wasn't too interested until I told him that is was ok if he didn't come because he probably "couldn't do it anyway". Well those became fighting words so now I think he has something to prove. I told him they aren't like walleyes you can't just sit in your chair and crank you have to be able to move around and move quickly. So time will tell.

Is there something wrong with me. It is only August and I am already talking about planning a fishing trip for April ooo.gif.

Of course maybe that is cause I want one of these in my boat again. Preferably on my line but if it is on the end of one of my partners I will be happy too.

sturgeon2editedqz5.jpg 60"

Schusters will be the place to be from the 18th-20th next April. They really do a nice job for us. You can't complain about the rates at all.

Quote:

Is there something wrong with me. It is only August and I am already talking about planning a fishing trip for April
ooo.gif

Yes. There is.

If you can't wait until next year, getta hold of me in September.

We have some fine Sturgeon fishing down here that time of year. smile.gif

Man Sept. sturgeon fishing. Maybe maybe I have like one or maybe two open weekends between now and the beginning of Oct. Funny how going elk hunting for 11 days will impact the number of weekends one has in Sept. I already can see that my shotgun is probably going to get neglected again this fall it is a shame frown.gif.

I'll be there next spring and I just found a date that I can make it to the Croix. YEAH!

• 1 month later...

I was just looking at the pictures from last April. I wish I would of been around to go, looks like a ton of fun. I will do my best to be there next year.

NICE FISH EVERYONE.

Nothing beets that THUMP,THUMP, pull and pull, Slack with nothing and then a marvolious jump! Then the fight is on!

Going to try to make it next year!

Nice fish guys!

• 2 months later...

I just called Schuester's and booked rooms (for 8) for the SE - '08. Can somebody say "I'm JUICED".

grin.gif I booked last April 22 for 12, we'll be there in force. Great story here. Thought long and hard for a weekend that would work for getting married. Fall was out. Spring was tough, with missouri river fishing, opener on border waters, opener in mn,... picked April 20, and now it's the sturgeon excursion ooo.gif. Wish me luck! How long you figure she'll put up with my anarchy????

I'm ready!!! Brent

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got green lighted for this event. I've never caught a sturgeon before so I'm juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a little juiced for this.

I am going to end being up the weekend after the excursion as I have had other things come up. So I will have a group of people the 25-27 fishing. So there will still be some of us around the following weeks.

Bummer, supose I'll have to take up the slack for you on the 20th??? I'm sure it'll be crazy good fishing again!!

Quote:

Bummer, supose I'll have to take up the slack for you on the 20th??? I'm sure it'll be crazy good fishing again!!

Someone better pick it up that is for darn sure. I don't think there is a bad weekend in all of April to be out there. I am jacked up to get after them again. Got a new Sturgeon net and another new reel for the mighty beasts for Christmas. I have a picture of my buddies 60" in my office from last year that always helps to get the juices following too.

• 2 weeks later...