• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

Aanderud,

I've caught quite a few sturgeon on the St. Croix (although this will be my first trip up Nort). The majority of sturgeon bites I have seen are more like nibbles than rod-benders. You'll see your rod tip dancing around a bit. So, a rod with a soft tip is extremely helpful. I have had a few pull the rod tips into the water, but that doesn't happen too often.

Spinning gear or casting gear? I've used both--both work fine. It's a personal preference.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eyepatrol

• harvey lee

• hanson

• iffwalleyes

Quote:

JP, at first, I thought you had posted a picture of a bra!!!
blush.gif

Nope, I have lost 63lbs, no need for the bra anymore. grin.gif

Quote:

Those pics with all the boats all huddled together -- is it basically just a big basin or is there actually structure out there that people are attempting to fish on or what?

No not really much structure to speak of. There are a few deeper spots, but for the most part everyone is fishing the channel the river current has created in the bay.

I'm sure there is some structure out there, but from what I've experienced the sturgeon will roam around in small pods and scavenge for some grub.

dtro, small world! That's Brad Johnson and I in the back gound. Man is Chris's waypoint going to be popular this year!!We're coming back. Had a great time last year.

We found that a really light tip is very helpful. We rigged up with 12 lb test mono and 8.5 foot salmon rods. We did not use rod holders. We held the rods with a finger on the line and checked our baits a lot.

It is not unusual for a fish to suck in the bait and hold it, not moving. Those bites would be impossible to detect with a rod in a rod holder.

We caught alot of fish last year. Brianna is pretty bummed that we are not coming up this year.

Tom B

Sturgeon Tip of the Day - BOAT CONTROL!

So I can't get my mind off this trip, 3 weeks to go!

Anyway, I got to thinking about ways to tip the odds in your favor and one of those is going to be BOAT CONTROL. Now when it comes to boat control while sturgeon fishing, that means anchoring properly. If there is little to no wind, this is relatively easy since the current in the bay will keep you in place against your anchor rope. Now if there is a wind, this is where it can get tough, especially when you have current pushing your boat one way and wind trying to push you upstream.

Why does this matter? Sturgeon aren't exactly "light" biters but detecting their bites can be an issue, especially if the boat is getting tossed around by wind and waves.

I like to toss my bow anchor out and drift or back downstream aways until I get a good hold with the bow. If the boat stays there, good! If it doesn't and wants to move side to side, its time to drop the rear anchor. Now remember, you have a rear anchor out now. Don't forget about it because you will more than likely have to pull it up ASAP when you get a sturgeon on the line. They'll wrap and double wrap an anchor rope before you know what happened. smile.gif

The simple point I am getting at is you want your bait to be sitting on the bottom, and moving around as little as possible. If waves are rocking the boat good, or the wind is blowing you around, your baits are getting jerked around on the bottom. Not only is your bait moving but it is much harder to watch your line and rodtip to see if a sturgeon is nibbling.

If conditions get really bad, I'll just remove my rod from the holder and hold it. Sometimes I'll even vertical jig straight out the back or side so I can stay in contact with the bottom and have good "feel".

So don't let poor boat control and anchoring techniques get in the way of your sturgeon catching fun!

My group has 5 boats for sure coming up. Maybe 6 rigs.

My guess is between 15 and 20 more 'crews' than last year.

Be a good weekend for the DNR to do their survey!

OK,

So here is my situation. I am driving up from Rochester early on Thursday morning and leaving Sunday late afternoon. I have a group of buddies coming late Friday night that will fish with me on Sat & Sunday. As of now, I don't have anybody to fish with on Thurs & Friday. If somebody wants to fish with me (only Thurs and/or Fri), that would be great, or if somebody has an open seat I'd gladly take that (better than fishing alone).

If I have to, I'll just fish alone for those two days, but I thought I'd offer up a few seats. I have a 16.5' boat so I would easily have room for 2 (possibly 3) more guys on Thurs afternoon and/or Fri.

BTW I had a 7 bed cabin booked at Schusters and last time I checked, there was still a few open beds (its open to all of FM). M. Walerak, did you book a spot in our room yet?

For anyone who picks nightcrawlers, there are out. This morning in 1 hour I picked 50 dozen. Looks to be good cheap bait for the sturgeon. cool.gif

I think I'll have to get up a little early tomorrow to get some pickin' in! They are definitely out (the crawlers).

Wall-eye-assasin:

I'm going to have to call you this weekend. The one guy I asked to go (to replace the other guy that dropped out) has not gotten back to me, so I'm figuring he's a bust. PLUS, the other guy (the other Eric) who was suppose to be coming with, now has surgery on Saturday to remove more of his small intestines....so he's out of the picture too. frown.gif If you haven't already, send an e-mail to my house with your phone number so I can call you to discuss this weekend. Do you have anyone on backup?

None here yet! Should be before the excursion! grin.gif So Harvey, what's the going rate for crawlers?? Getting ready, looking forward to seeing you FMers. Brent

Hey Eric, I did send you my phone number and I will try to see if I can get a buddy to go. Sorry to hear about your buddies. If its just the 2 of us so be it. I will try to call you sometime tomorrow night I work til 5pm. We will have a blast one way or the other.

Fisherking

I have given 60 or so dozen crawlers away and I cannot promise anymore until it rains again. My picking is only when they come out into the street.

Crawlers? We still have way frozen soil. I tried to dig with the loader tractor yesterday and got down about 3". I bet I will be buying my crawlers this year.

Does that mean you will have the bait covered for us this year? I hope you don't eat them all before the Sturgeon Excursion!

mw

It's an interesting contrast JP! The lawns around here are starting to turn green again! cool.gif

I'll have crawlers, as well as some other baits. I'm betting we'll see crawlers here in a week or less.

The rain is taking the frost fast. The lakes are going to open a lot sooner than I thought a couple days ago.

Anyone use liver for bait? I'm planning on trying some different baits, but will go to crawlere, as it seems to be the bait of choice.

This rain is giving me time to get stuff ready! Looking forward to the trip, hoping there is not a snow storm to hinder the fun. Brent

I'm hopefully getting the boat back out of storage tomorrow. Get everything loaded back in, take her out for a spin (and fishing) next weekend and it should be ready to go! This is going to be one fun trip!

Who's all showing up on Thursday??? Myself, wall eye assasin (and hopefully 2 others if we can find replacements) will be there mid-afternoon Thursday. cool.gif

Mike, I may run out as they are pretty tasty fried. I will need to pick more for sure. smile.gif

Yes, the bait is covered. I keep some of the real tasty ones for your 60 incher. cool.gif

Excellent! This year is my year. I'm getting pumped up not only to fish for these beasts but to meet more FMers!

mw

Quote:

It's an interesting contrast JP! The lawns around here are starting to turn green again!
cool.gif

We are still frozen over and the ground is snow coverd tonight. I was working with the loader tractor today and could only scrape a couple inches off the top and the rest is pure frost. As far as rivers we are starting to wonder if they will open in time around these parts. With the low water conditions the current is next to nothing slowing the break up process.

Just so happens I got a new set-up for sturgeon fishing this year so I am kinda excited to try it out. I am not sure if I will be around though. Wont find out til April 12th for what my work schedule will be for that week. Even if I was home and didnt fish, I would jump in the car and make the 10 minute drive ( I live right in town ) just to come out and meet some FMers. I only know a few. Should be a good time. B-dude

Tyler....Not sure whether or not I'm gonna hang around for the weekend but I'd maybe fish with you on Thursday and Friday iffin you have'nt rounded up a crew yet.

fiskyknut

Tyler,

You still have room left? I had some plans for sturgeon fishing a week later that fell through. Then I remembered the Sturgeon Excursion. It would only be myself, but I may try and contact another buddy. Should I get back to you by a certain date?

I'm also looking for a boat to jump in, although if my buddy comes I think we could arrange something.

Let me know.

Fisky,

That would be great. Drop me an email. As of now, I'm still fishing solo on Thurs and Fri.

This would be fun. Maybe we can makup for missing eachother in URL a few months back.

Sturgeon Tip of the Day - Terminal Tackle

With 2 1/2 weeks to go folks until the Sturgeon Excursion, its time to start talking gear!

Now this really isn't rocket science (or NASA!), but if you aren't familiar with basic rigging for catfish or sturgeon, its worth reading.

The basic sturgeon rig is essentially a Lindy rig with different components. The rig consists of a hook, 12-18" length of leader, a swivel, bead, and a sinker. The important components of this system are the sinker & the hook so we'll look at those first.

There is obviously a huge variety of sinkers on the market but there are a few that are suited quite well to this type of fishing, that is the No-Roll & Bank Sinker. No-Rolls are great because they are a flat shape. The flat shape allows them to settle on the bottom and the current won't "roll" them around, hence the name. A standard egg sinker is basically the same thing as a No-Roll, except it is round. Because it is round, it will roll around on the bottom and not stay in one place. One drawback I've found using No-Rolls is they like to get tangled up when falling to the bottom in deeper water, which is why I mentioned bank sinkers as well. Bank sinkers are more like a Lindy sinker in concept but have a different shape. They sink fast which keeps tangles from happening on the drop, and don't roll around as much as an egg either.

What about weight? How heavy should I go? You want enough weight to keep good contact with the bottom. Remember, we are fishing in current so your bait will be swept out. A heavier weight lets you fish more vertical or closer to the boat. Too light of weight and you won't know where bottom is at. For me, I'm very comfortable fishing with 3 oz in these situations. However, depending on the current, I may go an ounce heavier or lighter, it depends.

When it comes to hooks, I've found something I like that works well and I'm sticking with it. That is a Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hook in sizes from 3/0-5/0. I've experimented with regular hooks but have really come to like circle hooks for connecting with fish. The great thing about a circle is you don't "set" the hook. When I feel a fish tap, tap, tap, I slowly and steadily sweep the rod to feel for weight. If I feel the weight of the fish, I lean into the sweep a little more and its Fish ON! Simple as that. If I don't feel the fish, I just put the rod back in my rod holder and wait for the next tap, tap, tap. With circle hooks, I have yet to deep hook or gut hook a sturgeon. The hook is always right in its sucker mouth, where its supposed to be. smile.gif

And thats really it as far as terminal tackle is concerned. My leader and mainline are 80lb Power Pro. It might be overkill but that is what I keep spooled on my cat rods and thats what I'll be using for sturgeon.

The following is a photo of a typical bottom rig. Various sinkers are shown with the venerable No-Roll being the one tied on the rig. The other sinkers shown will work, that is the casting, bank, and egg shown from top to bottom.

hooklinesinker.jpg

Only 2 weeks or so to go! Yippee!!

Hanson, You da man, great information for us first timers. All the help is appreciated. Looking forward to fishing with basscatcher and meeting all the great fmrs. 2 more weeks woooohooooooooooo.