• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Varmint hunting favorite load

Valv

What is your favorite load for varmint hunting ?

I had .243 with 55gr SilverTip Winchesters, or 58gr VMax Hornady, now I use .223 VMax 50gr

To practive the AR-15 I use mostly Winchester, Remington, and Federal/Am.Eagle. I tried Ultramax and my groups went 5" apart shocked.gif

I shoot Ultramax .223 55 grain soft points out of my CZ american. i shoot 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 and that is good enough for me hunting in MN.

I think your using to light of a bullet in your ar. it all has to do with the twist you have 1:9 use a 55 1:8 use a 62 1:7 use a 68 grain. my rockriver ar .223 has a 24 inch bull barrel with a 1:8 twist, i use wolf 62 grain hollow points and i can group 3/4 inch at 100 yards

Hornaday v-max are tough to beat for long shot accuracy. I shoot 6MM 58gn & 65gn Loaded with 40.5 and 38 gn of H 4895 had the best groups in my rifle. Toped with a leupold Varmit reticle scope if the wind is lite 400 yds groups are 3 in and less depending on the day! That make me happy laugh.gif and coyotes scared! blush.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

My AR is a 1:8. I am still experimenting but it seems to accept most everything pretty well with most 3 shot groups being an inch or better. The best so far was a 5 shot group under 3/4 of an inch using Sierra 69 grain BTHP and Varget powder.

Usually Black Hills 68gr MHP, or Winchester 64gr PP if I need something with more expansion.

This is from my Colt Sporter with 1/7 barrel.

I also shoot some 55gr FMJ (usually Winchester white box) and that seems to shoot OK too.

My favorite is my old 220 swift my dad built on a Japanese Arisaka action.

41 grains of 4350, with a 52 grain Sierra hollow point boat tail match bullet.

Prairie dogs/coyote/jackrabbits/paper - .223 using a 50 gr. Hornady Vmax, 23.0 gr. H322. 22-250 using 50 gr. Sierra Blitzkings with 35 gr. Benchmark. Coyote/Big jacks - .243 using 87 gr. Vmax and 44.3 gr. H4350. Diclaimer, don't try these loads at home. Go outside and shoot them. smile.gif WG