• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am a member of the Janesville Sportmens club and do help pay for the aeration system, i have also helped in starting up the system but i don't get the final decision on how early it gets turned on. 50% of the walleyes i have kept have had empty stomachs the others have had bullheads, bluegills and frogs i should have described that better. Yes i was trying to get my point across on the sportsmen issue, some people like to catch and release fish, some people like to catch and eat fish and where i fall in this mix is i like to do both, maybe with i slight emphasis on the eating when there in that 13" to 17" range.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• harvey lee

• james_walleye

• katoguy

I have to agree with one of your earlier posts when you were talking about rip jigging. Early ice i was out fishing with a friend he was rip jigging and i wasn't he caught over 20 walleyes and i caught 2, needless to say i made the switch and have had alot better success ever since. I didn't realize how big a difference that could make in 5 fow.

Hopefully with all the open water and no snow we have that oxygen levels will be high this winter.

I heard the aeration has been turned on in Scotch lake.

I am in no way saying you have to throw every fish back, and I don't believe you have to catch and release to be a sportsman. I do, however, hate to see wasted game, and I don't believe for a second all the fish that hit the freezers get eaten up. So, I hate to see one small group of guys pull 100 fish out in a weekend and brag about doing it over and over. Then it snowballs and we have thousands of fish leaving the lake day after day.

I just want the lake to thrive and stay oxygenated for the next ten or twenty years, and I think it is a little irresponsible to assume it will die in another year so take all you can now.

some of the lake is water now but if you go to the older access and not the new one you go out about 50 to 75 yards away from the me and my dad got some northerens out there

wanton waste and over the limit sounds like you should call the tip line as far as the bragging isn't that what fisherman do. I'm no math major but at a rate of 1000 fish a day it would take 3 years to pull your first million walleyes out. In that time 7.5 million have been put in, even if only half of the stocked fish survive the lake will be in good shape. You say you live on the lake and it sounds like all the fishing pressure is bothering you my advice to you is stop stressing the lake will be fine

Not on either side of the coin... but

Far, far less than half of the fry will swim to the "eater" size. Most lakes with supplemental stocking only a few percent live to that ripe old eater age. Stocking after a freeze out enhances the odds due to lack of competition and predation.

There are no Bass in Lake Elysian so the only thing eating the eyes is fisherman. The other day I read that stocking Walleyes in a lake with a good bass population only helps the Bass population. It's looking to be a fine Walleye lake!

I've heard the same thing...a small percent will actually survive. At 10% you have 250,000.

This is going the wrong direction because all you can see is the words on the screen, without context and expression.

Vex...I'd be glad to discuss this with you uptown this weekend, I'm sure I'll see you. Until then I'm not going to post anymore on this topic.

I'm just happy to see the lake with some fish again and hope it lasts. Look at Lura right now and you'll know where I'm coming from.

Yes, there are bucketmouths in Elysian. Probably not a fishable population, but they do swim in them there waters.

You might catch them drowning a leech under a bobber. Although many of you wouldn't want to see another Lura, I'd love it!

I caught some 10-12 inch largemouths out there this past spring....it was the only species I could catch casting cranks and they weren't my target.

honker got a good laugh tonight ended up fishing with your nieghbor he informed me who you were. I have no problem agreeing to disagree didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, but since you commented on lura i have to agree to disagree again the dnr stopped stocking walleyes in lura for a couple years thats the reason for the lack of smaller fish but there seemed to be a nice supply of 24" to 25" walleyes in the lake last time i fished it.