• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

5th annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Jan. 27 — Fifth Annual Burntside Bash, Burntside Lake, Ely, Minn.

Hosted by stfcatfish ([email protected]) and Surface Tension ([email protected]).

For the fifth time, lake trout ice angling experts and novices alike will plumb the depths of one of Minnesota's most accessible and best lake trout waters in this annual event.

You can trickle onto the ice all day long, but headquarters will be set up on the ice near the Van Vac public access on the lake's south shore, and demonstrations by stfcatfish (Steve Foss) and Surface Tension (Frank Deluca), will begin at 8 a.m., for those who want to learn more about the fine points of angling for North America's most addicting ice fishing target. Lakers stalk your lures like sharks, slash at them like pike and pull like freight trains. If you have electronics, it's the ultimate video game watching those red bands pursue your lure. But be careful. If you haven't fished for them before, you'll be hooked as soon as you hook your first trout. Average Bside lakers run from 1-3 pounds, with many up to 10 and an occasional teen or 20-pounder. Divers have seen lakers over 30 pounds here, and in past Bashes, fish from 10-14 pounds have been caught.

There is no registration or tournament. This year, it's all just about have a great time. Bring your own beverages and food, though there will be some grills available for cooking.

To get to the landing: From Virginia, head north on Hwy. 53, then east on Hwy. 169. About four miles west of Ely, turn left (north) onto Hwy. 88 (Grant McMahan Blvd). Travel for a couple miles and you will see the turn for Road 404, a left turn. Take that turn, and after half a mile or so watch for the brown public access sign on your right. The road to the parking area is pretty steep, and the parking area is two-tiered. The lower area at lakeside is for unloading, with limited parking down there and more parking on the upper level.

If you don't have a sled or wheeler, no problem. Some of the most consistent laker action is right off the access, where people can walk out a couple hundred yards into 50-60 FOW and fish. Two openers ago, chunkytrout and I limited out there in two hours. YES!

But for those who want to explore the farther reaches of this 10,000 acre clearwater jewel, wheelers and sleds are the rule. Which to bring? Depends on snow and ice conditions, so watch the BWCAW-Duluth-Ely-Range board here on Fishing Minnesota for updates as the day draws nearer.

Also use that board and the search feature to find out about laker techniques and tackle.

Don't forget your ($8) trout stamp, and we'll see you there — where we'll have more fun!

This does sound like a great day on the ice. I have never fished lakers and I hope maybe I can make it.Just maybe I can hook up with someone down this way and car pool up. A long ride by yourself.

What type of gear will I need to catch these lakers? Also, what do you have for motels in the area?

Thanks-Tom

HL:

Heavier than average walleye tackle is enough. Medium action rods, 10 or 12 lb line, and Bside lakers tend to prefer smaller lures, so your No. 7 and 9 jigging raps and such, as well as pimples and other walleye-sized spoons, will do just fine, tipped with a small chunk of cisco or minnow head. And bring a tip-up for your second line. A dead cisco half way down the water column (or a live big rainbow chub), will sometimes yield more fish than your main jigging rod, depending on the day. The blurb above about the bash is one I wrote, and Chunky and I limited two years ago on opener within spitting distance of Bash HQ. We limited so fast we could hardly blink, and it was, if I recall, -38 when the sun came up over Burntside's south shore ridge.

But there's lots more on winter lakers and tactics and tackle on the BWCAW board. Just search feature the board, and you will find enough info to fill a book.

I think Mr. Joel Nelson and I are going to make this trip, I've heard it is a blast.

Well, Burntside is a BIIIIGGG lake, so there's lots of room for trouble. Can someone with editing privileges here change the title of the post and my blurb to FIFTH annual, not fourth annual? Frank and I got to doing some math and realized we forgot one.

And I want to tell you all, you folks who think you've done the Great White North, that you've never gotten to the Northern Exposure until you've come to the lakes of the boreal forest and fished for lake trout, the greatest char that ever bent a hook straight.

C'mon, what're you all waiting for? Check out the Bside Bash thread on the BWCAW-Duluth-Range board. What, you gonna fish for 12-inch perch your whole life? shocked.gif

how far away from finland is burnside? my aunt and uncle own wildhurst and would love to go take the week off and stay there. thanks for anyinfo.iceman

Burntside is a bit over an hour up Hwy. 1 from Finland.

C'mon up! For more details on the Bash, check it out in the BWCAW-Duluth-Range board.

well if i can get that week off ill be there. i am the low man for vacation dont realy get to pick them. unless its winter time.

Well, our best year so far was 80 people at the bash. The way the interest is going, this year's bash could beat that. No mystery there, I guess. All these walleye/panny guys lose their minds when they finally catch a fish with real muscle. grin.gif

I have my room reserved and also got a new rod to crush those lakers. It will also be nice to meet many of you.

I hope that I can make it again this year! Missed it last year! frown.gif

Cliff

Hook one no problem they are there just to get one to bit grin.gif WE will see ya there.

I missed out last year. I won't miss it this year! wink.gif

Booked a room and ready to roll!

Uh Oh!!! Dennis is coming out of semi-retirement to fish for a day. This event could really be trouble laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the dudes that know. This is the gear I have and I am wondering what else will be needed.

1- Thorne Bros Pro 36 Pro graphite rod with spinning reel. The line on this set up is 10# P-line Flouro clear.

2- Scottys Custom rods 41" Laker rod ( spiral wrap)with a ABU 5600 C-3 reel. Should I put the same line as above or something different?

3- 2 tip ups with 30# braided line with swivel and 12# Flouro clear leader.

For jigs I have

1- 4 different color Slender spoons in 1/4 oz. silver/red-silver/blue-silver/glow and a silver/silver.

2-5/16 oz slender spoons in copper/chartruese and silver/red

Next-- 3 w9 jigging raps in white and a couple others.

4 w7 jigging raps in white and the head is green and the others are another color.

Next -- Berkley Powerbait white 4" Power Pro Tubes and jigs.

Next -- Numerous (approx 8)1/4oz Angel Eye and Go-Devils in numerous colors.

What am I missing?? Also, what do I need for live bait?

Thanks for all the help, as I have never fished these Lakers before.

Thanks Frank for all the answers in your e-mail. You are the man. You to Steve. Yes, Northlander your ok too. I hope to catch at least one Laker through the ice.