• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey I have a cabin up on Pelican and do a lot of fishing up there, but haven't had much success ice fishing. During the summer I usually fish the drop over by Gooseberry Island, any suggestions for winter fishing for walleyes?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrophyEyes

• fishroger

• phillyfacks

• B420

Winter fishing is really good on Pelican. Guys will fish both the north and south ends. So far the reports have been decent. Jigging spoons and fatheads are producing some eaters. 4-5 inches of ice along the first breaks. Lots of reports will start coming in after this weekend.

Jason Erlandson

I'm gonna try to make it up there next week..hopefully this weekend doesn't get to warm. Are people out with 4 wheelers yet? I love ice fishing and spend the whole day and night out there on Pelican and don't have much success..caught a few eaters here and there, what depth you find is best for walleye, and are they concentrated mainly on dropoffs?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few 4 wheelers out this weekend, however haven't seen any yet. I've been out a couple of times so far, I have not ventured too far off of shore, but there is about 6" of ice where I had been fishing. This time of year, pick out a bar, hump, or even a shoreline break and hang around until it gets dark and you should get a few walleyes and maybe even a snake or two. If you can find a weedline, you may have a good bite all day.

Yea see I've been fishing about 100 yards out from my cabin...it breaks from around 8 feet to around 20 or so, and have heard from the neighbors it's a descent spot for eyes...I'll catch an occasional eye but nothing steady. I've had better luck on pike with tip ups there than anything. If I'm gonna drive the 2 plus hours I want a descent spot to catch a few good eaters ya know? I don't want to intrude on anyones "hot spot" but if there is anyone familar with that lake that knows where some good structure is at...fill me in PLEASE!!!

Philly,

The lake is just loaded with structure, just find a breakline, I like ones that are more of taper than a cliff. Set a tip up in 20' and jig in 28-30' and you should catch some eaters. Being out there at prime time in is the key. The last three times I have been out, we have been set up at 6:30am as the bite starts around 7 and is done at 7:30. Most people aren't even on the ice yet. I prefer shiners over anything else as the perch don't pester them as much. If you don't catch something in a spot during primetime, try a different one next time. Avoiding the crowds is another key on pelican, the less traffic the better. Seems to be a good crop of 14-17" fish this year Good luck!

Hey thanks for the advice!! I will give it a try next week! Hopefullt I have better luck this winter on Pelican

Do some exploring. right now the wallys will follow the breaklines at sundown. Be ready at about 3pm and have all the holes drilled. 20-25 feet is a good depth, you have to be right next to where it breaks down. Jigging with a pimple and minnow head out does tips up 3 to 1 for me , but I do put out a tip up. A vexilar helps to, some times the wallys need coaxing. It pays to be quiet, no foot stomping and running. Wallys seem to hit best 1 hour before and 1 hour after sunset. Its a small window. its about the same in the morning. I'll be out fri. Good luck.

Fished Pelican this morning, no fish and the ice wasn't that great. Large ice ridge running the complete length of the lake from north to south. Found at most 4 inches of ice.

No 4-wheeler for me yet...

What's the ice condition on Pelican now?? I've been fishing all weekend on the metro lakes down here and there is a solid 6 inches on both lakes I fished...so I'm assumming Pelican has at least that??

I fished Pelican on Saturday afternoon. Where we were at we had 8-9 inches of good ice. There were wheelers out in many different spots. I even saw a full sized pick up out about 150 yds from shore. That is risking guite a bit to save a little walking.

I was out on Pelican Saturday as well, we fished basically mid-lake and found 8"-9" of ice. We left from Jones Bay and had to make a detour north to get around the pressure ridge running north to south. Caught two 10's, a 14 and 16, and missed a few more. The fishing was decent, hopefully this weather won't melt much ice!

A rural Brainerd man, out for a day of fishing Sunday on Round Lake north of Brainerd, died after his four-wheeler broke through the ice and plunged into 19 feet of water.

I would be careful as you can see, you might think it safe, but then again......

I was fishing Pelican Monday and Tuesday night, the bite hit both nights around 4:30 or so, ended up catching 14 walleye and 3 snakes..had a blast!

The ice on Monday was 8", with all the rain and warm temps it turned pretty soupy out there and I'd say atleast a 1/2 inch was lost just in the afternoon...I was fishing in 22 feet

Yea they were all perfect eaters..We only kept 4 of them for a nice dinner! Can't wait to go back!!

Anyone been out to the NE side of the lake lately? How is the ice been holding up? I am coming up for the Christmas weekend and just wondering if I should bring the house or not.

Was out this morning and the ice thickness is at best 5 inches and loosing ice daily. It rained hard yesterday afternoon and there is no snow on the ice. Very slippery and wet. Where there was a fishing hole the water has ran into it making it larger, be careful, no 4-wheeling for me.

We need cold weather not only at night but during the day.

Philly,

I was out yesterday, 8" of ice on the west side. Bring your ice cleats, no snow on the lake. Kept one 18" walleye, let some small ones go, and last a good one at the hole. Large fatheads and small shiners were the ticket. Went a little deeper, 25-30ft. I also got to clean up a mess some slobs left on the ice. We were set up by 6:30 am (still dark) and when the sun came up we noticed 3 frozen pike, a mess of perch, a frozen in tip up, paper bags, and soup lids frozen in the ice. The only positive about this was we got to watch a flock of eagles (4-5) hovering over us the whole time trying to get the pike off the ice, man they are big birds!!

I am coming up Sat. and fish primarily off the East side. Has anyone been over that way and can tell me how thick the ice is? Do I need to worry about that side more than the West or South? I will be just north of Velvet Beach.

Thanks B420, so you guys must have even made alittle ice since I was last up? Interesting..it's been really warm down here, haven't gone out here much still kinda risky...gonna try tonight though and see. Thats no good when people leave all there crap laying out, atleast have the descency to pick your (Contact Us Please) up, I bet it was neat seeing those eagles though, Wow!! Yea I might try going alittle deeper...small shiners and flatheads huh? I didn't get one hit on my tip ups out there last time...we had 3 set up and no action..I was amazed!

It got down to about 10 degrees last night and there saying the same for tonight so with no snow we should definitely be making more ice.

How is the weather effecting the ice? Are we making ice or loosing it? Anyone been out lately? If so, what depth are the walleyes hanging out at? And any suggestions on what to use (Chubby Darter, Eye Dropper, Rattling Spoons or a live bait rig). What is your favorite set-up for Pelican?

In my opinion we are slowly making ice. I love to use a small, rattling varmit in the glow perch or the blue and white color for jigging. Have also had some success with the chubby darters out there in the early season when the fish are aggressive. I have been finding the fish from 25-30ft, with small windows for the bite between 6:30am-8:00am, then around sundown at 4:45-5:15. I always have a tip up out rather that a dead stick as I can cover a little more area with the tip up, and get it away from the commotion of the portable. I like to use a shiner or jumbo fathead on the tip up.

I am heading to Breezy Point on the 29th for a hockey tourney. I have never been there but was hoping to get some fishing in on Friday before hockey starts. Any suggestions? I think that I will bring my atv so I can move around but I am not familiar with the lake. Is there any spot or spots to avoid or any thing close that you would suggest I try. I do have a gps. Thanks for the help.

There is a pressure ridge running north - south the length of the lake pretty much right through the middle. There is no snow at the moment on the lake. Its perfect for ice skating. Ice thickness can vary but most areas it around 8". If your at the resort the area near weavers pt. on the drop off is pretty good. Its about 1/2 mile across from the resort. Be careful on the ATV. There are quite a few good spots near the resort. Bring ice grippers.