• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Over/Under Shotguns Question

MNUser

How many of you shoot O/U for pheasants? I have been looking at three models and not sure which one to consider. Here is the info I have and would like some feedback on.

Remington SPR310

Mossberg Silver Reserve

Stoeger Condor Supreme

I don't want to drop a ton. There are some nice models for 1600. WOW! Can anybody share any info on any of the above models? Thanks!

I made the switch 3 seasons ago and could not be happier. Lighter, better balanced, easy pointing, classy looking guns. Most instances, no need for more than two shots. Limit in MN is only two anyway. I don't have any info on the guns your interested in. I took the plunge and bought a Browning Citori, 16 gauge. Yea, it was a bundle, but don't pick one up, you won't want to put it down. Whatever feels good to you is the way to go, all those guns you mentioned are from reputable manufacturers. Pick'em up shoulder them, you'll know which one is yours when you pick it up, I did. You going with 12, 20, 16, or 28. I think the 16 is the perfect upland gun, especially for pheasants. That and a pointing lab, what more could a guy ask for.

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking of getting a 12 gauge but now you have me thinking. Not sure if those models are available in the 16 gauge.

I do know that I want the one with ejectors. I do not want to mess with removing shells when it is time to reload.

I have a Remington 870 12 gauge that I have had for 20+ years and it works like the day I got it. I wish I had 2 grand to spend. Then the doors would be wide open.

Thanks again.....

Stoger makes a 16 in O/U, I have no experience with Stogers or O/U's, but I do with the 16 ga.

Great upland gun, packs almost as much punch as a 12, which at times can be overkill to begin with, weighs less, and kicks like a 20 ga. That all me and my dad shoot with pheasant hunting, 2 Remington 1100 16 ga.

User - I bought my first O/U this year. I also looked at the models you mentioned, but they didn't fit me well and I wasn't impressed with the wood to metal fit on the ones I saw. I figured if I'm spending the money, I wanted something that looked pretty too, so I went with a used Franchi that I found for $600. Fits me perfectly, looks just like new, and kills birds nicely. wink.gif

DSC_0086.sized.jpg

I switched from a pump to an O/U to force myself to take fewer, better shots. So far, so good. I love the balance and feel of the O/U.

Blaze

Blaze,

Were did you find your gun used? I would look into that option if possible.

Thanks for the response.

Found it online - private party had it for sale. Some places to watch would be shotgunworld, gunbroker, and gunsamerica - google those sites. Also, don't forget to check local gun dealers or pawn shops.

Blaze,

Guns always look better with birds under them don't they??

I too use an O/U, and I love it. I have had two Stoeger shotguns, and love them to death.

My favorite is my Fausti Stefano 12 gauge field grade, it's pretty, and under $700.

Not the best pic, but you get the point... it kills birds!

fiver4fr5.jpg

Like said aboive once you go tthe the O/U you will never go back. I have a red label, but Mom bought Dad the Stoeger 2 years ago and he likes it. Make sure to watch witch Condor you get though. The 1 dad got doesnt have ejector tubes on the spent shell. It only has lifters and it is not a terrible thing, but it is mildly annoying. The gun shop we got it from told us it would be ejectors and when we gave it to himand everything it wasn't and they wouldnt get us the correct 1 with out a serious up charge. Needless to say they arent going to be getting anymore of our business. Anyways good guns and just keep an eye out for that.

I bought my father-in-law's O/U Citori Steel 12ga this past fall and although I was told it had a second shot trigger issue all it needed was a thorough cleaning by the gunsmith.

After shooting a couple of roosters on opening morning with my trusty 870 I just had to break it out. I warned the rest of the group that I had never even shot an O/U let alone this one so bear with me if I miss. Well two shots later and two more roosters I hear my 13 yr old son holler over that it appears the gun is working fine! I just love the balance and fit on this gun and I think it is going to see a whole lot of field time. Ever since I picked up my first O/U and eyed it longingly I have been amazed at how they drop into place and just naturally fit me.

remember a quality gun lasts a lifetime, if you are already spending $700, which is entry level for an O/U. What is $300 more for a high quality hunting grade gun that will outlast you. I went down that road of looking at the cheaper ones you can get at Cabelas, Gander,etc. I forget the name but they are around $700. I started to look at the Beretta and Citori for $1100. I got very lucky and found a Beretta Silver Pigeon display model on closeout at the old gaylans for $1199. It did have 2 small scratches in the stock but that guy new lists for around $1800. It was a steal and I could not be happier. The thing with it is that I most look forawrd to is not killing birds but the day I get to give it to my son, and they day he gives it to his son, and so on. A high quality O/U is a gun that can go through a couple of generations.

I don't know much about the other two, but I've seen folks have lots of trouble with Stoeger Condors. Mostly it's firing the second barrel. The safety flips itself on during the recoil. In the entry level models I'd buy the most basic gun possible, the resale isn't the best and engraving and upgraded would on an entry priced model won't hold value.

Personally I'd buy a used Browning, Beretta, or Ruger. I've got 40,000 rounds through my Beretta Silver Pigeon wihtout a hiccup and it still locks up tight. O/U's are all I hunt with these days. They load quick, swing well, carry light, and always fire. I like the ability to taylor my chokes. For pheasant hunting having and open first shot and tight second shot for distance is handy.

I have a Stoeger COndor 20ga and I love it. It takes 3" shells so I have used it on ducks, pheasants and grouse. I've got it sighted in with some turkey loads too if I ever get near some turkeys. The ejectors are nice, but watch out, you open it over your forearm and those shells come flying out.

My Dad likes his 12 gauge Condor. When my son gets older, he will get my Wingmaster and I will be the new owner of a Citori. They just feel better than other guns. Buy what you can afford, they all kill birds.

Been shooting O/U's for fifty years. Buy a good one, even a used good one, and you'll always be content.There is no sin in buying a top quality used shotgun. Check Cabela's Gun Room or find a gunsmith or someone else who is familiar with the used market and let them help you. You have all winter to do this. Take your time and fine the right one. I have one Browning Superposed I have used for fifty years. Still love it!!

Hey, thanks for all the replys. I have looked at a lot of O/U in the last few weeks. The thing I want most is one I can use and not be worried about beating it up a little. I spend a lot of timeon the cattails pretending I'm a dog and being worried about the gun is the last thing I need. I do want to be able to pass it down to my son one day so qualty is important as well. I have been working with a good friend at Reeds so I think I can come away with a good deal on a nice gun. I will keep looking.

I like this picture. Two buddies after a day of walking.

friends.jpg

I was in the same position earlier this season. I have an 870 Express...great gun, no complaints. But I wanted on over/under, as well...works better for road hunting. I looked at similar guns...a couple of used Citoris, the Stoegers, but I ended up with a Winchester Field Select 12-ga. The price was right, and it is a great gun. I have loved using it all fall for pheasants.

You will not be disappointed. O/U are the only way to go, especially when hunting upland. I have been shooting Rugers and Brownings my entire life. Pick a gun that fits you best. When you put it up to your shoulder your cheek should lay right on the stock without much head a neck movement. I shot a pump for a few years when I was younger. As soon as I made the switch to the O/U my shooting improved tenfold. Much less movement during the shot meant better quality shots for me.

Jason Erlandson

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a Ruger Red Label from my wife for Christmas and my 40th B-Day. She let me go and pick it out as long as I wrap it and put it under the tree. I really like it.

I have snuck it out once and it sure feels nice. I had to clean it up and put it back before my son saw it. Would kinda ruin Christmas for my wife if he saw me with it early. I will have to hunt at least one more time after Christmas so I can use it chasing pheasants.

No sxs fans??? I "borrowed" an old spanish double hammered 20 guage sxs from my father in law that was just sitting in his closet. It needed new pins and the barrel was full/mod. New pins and opened the chokes and 5 years later it's still a grouse killer

I have an sxs and an o/u. Love both but don't use them very much anymore. Only when grousing do they come out.

I took my first deer with a 1900's Ithaca 20 gauge sidexside. It had curlback hammers that struck the firing pin and double triggers. Can't get much older than that without it being a muzzleloader. It was a great gun. Only complaint was the weight. They really knew how to build a gun back then.

Hey Guy's, I picked up a Turkish made cheap <$300 used O/U a couple years ago. It was just an experiment to see if I would like one...well I have hardly used my 870 pump since!

What I like is the thumb safety for grouse hunting, it's comfortable all day. I like the ability to switch between IC and Mod chokes for the first shot. It is also a joy to carry around the woods. The barrels are only 2" shorter than my 870 but the overall gun length must be 8"-10" shorter.

I just broke a firing pin on it and that's the only thing I had happen in over 500 shots. I don't have a problem without extractors. I also think as someone said there's less movement that the pump and more accuracy (for me). I think I am more safe in my handling also since I break it open whenever were near each other planning our next move.

Now that I love it I am thinking about my lifetime O/U. I have always liked Ruger Red Labels and Browning Citori's. Now a co-worker just picked up a Berretta based on a gunsmith's recommendation. He said he NEVER works on them???

So many choices for a big $$$ investment, now to got Momma to OK it wink.gif I just joined the local range with the family membership so that should help! grin.gif

Ferny

• 2 weeks later...

My dad told me along time ago that a shotgun is maybe the only piece of sporting goods equipment that doesn’t really lose much value over time. Sometimes they actually even increase in value!

I have had a Browning O/U since 1984, and bought another in 1987. A 20ga with 3 inch is pretty effective for pheasants, 2.75 works great for everything else. I would look for a good quality used O/U before buying a more inexpensive one. A O/U forces shooting discipline rather then blasting away.

It will take more time, but if your not in a hurry you will find it.

Grab the net,

Where did you pick up that 16 guage citori? I've been looking for one but I didn't think that they made them anymore. I don't know if I want to buy one online for the simple fact that you don't know what you're getting. I want to shoulder the gun and make sure it fits properly before I throw that kind money down. Thanks for any info!

I found mine at Scheels, I just saw one at the General Store in Osakis, MN a couple weeks ago. Very nice, I have only good things to say about Browning and the 16 gauge. Wonderful upland gun, deadly on roosters with Fiochi # 5's

in bottom and Federal Magnum copper plated 4's on top. They come with three choke tubes, Improved, Modified, Full for lead, and Modified and Full for steel. The full lead choke is for lead only. The Modified lead is Full steel, and Improved lead is Modified steel. Shells can be a little hard to find but once in awhile I find some deals, just picked up 3 boxes of # 2 steel for $9.00 a box. That is all I shoot on WPA's for roosters, does a very nice job.

Crazy part is for Federal 2 3/4 inch copper plated magnums it was $23.99 a box, same shell in 12 and 20, $10.99

I just saw a Citori 28 guage with 26" barrels the other day, picked it up and just about wrote a check. Talk about sweet, think it would be a great gun to use over a pointing dog. Price was right on it, maybe a late Christmas present or early B-day.

Be careful, once you pick it up and it fits, you won't put it down. Bring your check book.