• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

birds

Just wondering if anybody fishing the river between birchdale and the rainy lake has seen anything for ducks and geese around. I got a little time to hunt and would like to get out one or two more times before it closes. Any info appreciated.

Hey G-Man - was out to the office last night and heard some positive scouting reports on the river. Don't know details but the avid duck hunter in the group took off this morning to hunt.

Thanks uffda, I'm planning to get out there turkey day morning if at all possible. Glad to hear there might be some birds. We'll have to get out jigging once everything ices up. I'm sure me and the old man will be following fishmeister to a few of his hotspots if he lets us! Think cold and happy holidays.

G.K

I know its a little late, but there are still ducks on the river. we hunted the four scotsmans just before the indus corner on thanksgiving and saw quite a few ducks. Lots of bills and goldeneyes, but I was really surprised that there were still mallards hitting up some field across the river. All and all not a bad morning to hunt, not alot of water on the river so it was easy wading, we were just stupid enought to carry a bunch of honker dekes down, including a dozen full bodies confused.gif That was work! Hope you got out and found some.

Take Care!!!

The auger is sharp and tuned. There are enough ice rods downstairs for this side of town. Just waiting for ice. Imagine Mr. K is anxious to cut a spearing hole too.

TL-

Glad to hear you at least got some shooting in. Never made it out...ended up working on my truck and heading down to the shack to get some stuff done.

Uffda,

Very ready to get that spear house out, and I too have been getting the wheeler, sled, etc. ready for ice. These little lakes down here are probably going to be fishable by this weekend with some already having 2-3 inches of ice, but I'll be in SD chasing roosters. I'm planning on getting out next week and weekend down here to a few smaller lakes that have some nice walleyes and crappies in them. Hopefully we'll get the harpoon house out next weekend with a little luck too. Good luck on your first outings, be safe and keep me updated.

Good luck in SD. That sounds like fun. Hope it's a little warmer there than here although it would be okay walking if the wind stayed reasonable - that's asking a lot in SD.

I had a charter trip to Baudette this afternoon/evening and the river was froze over in most areas. Even saw a portable out this afternoon near Clementson. It's a little early on the river for my liking but it wasn't my portable.

We are also getting a little snow - been hoping for a few inches for martin and fisher trapping.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Mike89
      you make it so fun!!!!    😁
    • CigarGuy
      Quick update: Lucky 7 now has rainbows, fatheads, crappie and light pike in stock. If I remember correctly, scoop of rainbows was $8.99.  Stopped at L&M in Virginia. Rainbows $6.99, fatheads and crappie minnows (scoop) $3.99. I was billed $6.99 dozen for rainbows, but was given a healthy scoop!
    • smurfy
      🤣 you da friggin grammar police!🤔😒🤣
    • leech~~
      I have had the same old Strikemaster augers for years, take care of them and they will last a long time.   I think E-augers are nice for around home lakes or at the cabin. The thing that was a eye opener to me was being in D-Rock in New Brighton getting new blades and there were two guys that just got back from a week in Canada on a big ice fishing trip and both very pissed off at their e-augers dying! They were both buying new gas augers.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Things are shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener which takes place Saturday, May 11th.  Recent rain has brought up the water levels, which were low.  The walleyes and saugers are in very good shape across the south shore.  Expectations are high. The goto presentation this weekend will be a jig and frozen emerald shiner or other kind of minnow.  Emerald shiners are a staple in LOW and walleyes love them.     Hook the shiner through the mouth and out the gill.  Push the minnow all the way up to the jig head and hook the minnow as far back as possible.  This will give you a better hooking percentage.     Jig sizes and colors?  This is stained water so you can get away with a big heavier jig, which is nice for those who don't fish a lot.  It enables them to have more control and feel the bottom.  A quarter ounce jig is a good size for starters.     In stained water, gold, glow white, glow red, pink, orange and chartreuse, or a combo of those colors, are great places to start.   The limit of walleyes and saugers is a combined limit of six fish, up to four of the six can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0 inches must be released.  One fish over 28.0 inches can be kept.  The possession limit in MN is one daily limit of fish. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, there will be some good pike caught this weekend.  The pike season on LOW is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one fish allowed more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. On the Rainy River...  Sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River has been excellent.  The catch and release season is May 8 - 15.  The keep season starts up again July 1st. FYI, there will be some nice walleyes in the Rainy River for the fishing opener.  Lots of sturgeon anglers are reporting big walleyes being caught on sturgeon rigs! Up at the NW Angle...  Angle resorts are ready to roll for the opener.  As many of you know, this is the area of LOW where the islands begin.  Lots of structure.     Go to spots for walleyes, neck down areas, shoreline breaks, points and bays which will have warmer water.  In true NW Angle form, be ready for a mixed bag of fish.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, jumbo perch, crappies, and even a few smallies and muskies will be caught.   Again, the goto presentation will be a jig and minnow. Slow trolling a crankbait will also produce fish if need be.    
    • Mike89
      Totally disagree Gim. I have a gas Jiffy legend auger. Never issues. Take a little time to care for it before putting it away and good to go. Sincei started using non oxygen gas, startron and seafood in never have issues with my 2 strokes.   seafood???   I'd try seafoam!!!   🤣
    • smurfy
      Totally disagree Gim. I have a gas Jiffy legend auger. Never issues. Take a little time to care for it before putting it away and good to go. Sincei started using non oxygen gas, startron and seafood in never have issues with my 2 strokes.   Guess when them damb helicopters from my maple tree arrive I'll  find out how good she blows,  doubt I'll  get a chance first with Stormy to compare!🤭   Anyone got trumps number?😄
    • gimruis
      Wow, 600 bucks for a battery powered lawn mower?  Guess I didn't realize they costed that much.   I assume most people now are using battery augers in the winter.  I remember when they first came out everyone thought they were a joke.  Things sure have changed on that front.  I hardly see anyone using a gas auger anymore.   The selling point, at least for me, would be to avoid having to do any engine maintenance.  Small 2 stroke motors are a pain in the rear to maintain, and unreliable at best.
    • Mike89
      I'll bet she's better at it!!!!  
    • leech~~
      That thing should blow better then Stormy Daniels!  🤣🤣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.