• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cell phone coverage...

My 1 year cell phone commitment expires the end of this month and I'm looking to change due to poor signal strength. Does any supplier provide respectable coverage for the area?

I called both companies and one person told me that all the cellular companies used the same tower and there should be no difference in reception. She said I might get better reception if I bought a newer model phone. I fish a lot in the Cass Lake and northwest of Cass Lake area and I typically get 0 to 1 bar. ???? confused.gif

hey otter,

My dad has unicell and I have Verizon out of Fargo. I always have better reception than he does no matter where we are. But he has a cheaper Nokia and I have a newer LG. I am pretty sure that when you buy a phone you get a period of time to try it out. So you can return it if you are not happy with the service. I have always had good luck with any tri-mode phones (digital and analogue) but my newest phone is all digital and it works just as well and I believe that the towers are all going to digital anyway.

To clarify, I believe that it is the phone that makes the difference.

The salesmen should know which phones get the best reception but they also go by hearsay alot of times.

Good Luck,

John

Otter,

On Cass I have Unicell and I think Jones has Sprint.. We both have zero problems with reception.. I have a newer Motorola phone and it works with no problems between Cass and Bemidji... If you want to get the answers from the Boss ask for Brian at Unicell next to MarketPlace.. Tell him I sent you.. He is upfront and will work with you..

Hope this helps...

Beef

I guess I can ring in here being from out of town. I have Verizon and my phone is a newer LG and I always get a signal both in my cottage at Wishbone and out on the lake fishing. My sister in law always gave me grief for having Verizon as she thinks they are overpriced on their packages. She has US Cellular (formerly Primeco) and she was borrowing my phone because she could not get a sniff of a signal on her phone. I don't know if it is the Verizon or the LG but who cares, as long as it works. It also works on the way up through both WI and MN and it has worked when I am in Vegas, Florida and California.

Windy

Windy,

A cell phone in Veagas... I thought what happens in vegas stays in vegas grin.gif... Thanks for your input, it seems like up here on the Rez the cell phone discussion comes around a lot... I know that they have added two new towers in the Cass/Bemidji area the past year or so... That also helps I'm sure...

Beef

The only time I have had a problem with Unicel, was up in Kitchi - otherwise no problems on Cass, Pike or Andrusia.

My worst reception has been between Bemidji and Cass lake in the vicinity of Andrusia, Big and Kitchi. Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time in that area. Driving down Power Dam Road I watch my bars go from 1 to 0 and back again. I was told that there was only one tower in the area. How expensive are these phones that are pulling in a good signal - I have a $19.95 Tracfone. Maybe I can test a few different phones and pick the best. Thanks for all the responses.

Seriously give Brian a call at the Unicell next to Market Place.. Tell him I sent you and I will call him right now for you.. He won't try to sell you a phone or a package but he will be able to answer a lot of your questions about the service area and phones... He is a class act guy with a TON of knowledge..

If you have questions you can also call me on my cell at 766-5017..

Beef

Only number in phone book is an 800 number and it goes to a phone center that will not give out the telephone number of the local store. I did speak to them yesterday and the lowest volume plan they had was still a lot more than what I needed. I'll stop in the next time I'm at Marketplace to verify.

No prob.. You can drop me your email and I can get you there phone number.. I'm not sure if it is against forum policy to post there number...

Beef

Grrrrrrr, wife just phoned. She has been out of town visiting her mother and extended our Tracfone contract from there. My only hope now is that a better phone might improve service. mad.gif

Porter,

Do you still ive in AV?? I'm originally from there and gradutated from there... Have lived up North for 13 years now...

Beef

Beef,

I still live in Apple Valley. My wife and I moved to Apple Valley 11 years ago. We love the town!!!!!

I sure wish I lived in Bemidji. I love it up there!!!!!!!

Brian

Yeah the town sure has changed since I left.. We lived off of Galaxy on 133rd just up from Greenleaf Elementary.. My sisters and Mom still live down there... Up here it is awesome but if you don't have a steady job, it makes it hard to be able to live comfortable..

Beef