• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

running 24v on 12

High Velocity

Question

Want to get a transom mount for the fishing boat but also need a small one for the duck boat. Can I get a 24v and run it on 12v without messing something up other than a loss of power on 12v? Will the loss be 1/2 or more?

4 answers to this question

Because the boat is prewired to the front battery compartment with a plug-in the transom. I have a 24V wired in series for the bow so I might as well keep it 24v besides the duck boat will only be used 5-6 weekends.

If your question is can you run a 24 volt trolling motor on 12 volts the answer is you shouldnt. The reason is that using a 12 volt supply your current doubles and the wiring is not rated for twice the current. That is why 24 volt systems have thinner wires then a 12 volt motor.

Quote:

The reason is that using a 12 volt supply your current doubles and the wiring is not rated for twice the current.

Not true unless you rewire the motor windings. Without changing the wiring in the motor and just hooking a 24v motor up to 12v will result in loss of power. The motor will probably run slow if at all and have little power output.

Bob